Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Manaslu (8156m) first (?) complete ski descent by Brit

Poster: A snowHead
I am just back from nepal where I summited and made a ski descent of Manaslu, which at 8156m is the world's 8th highest mountain....this is probably the first ever complete ski descent of the mountain! Enough about me, let's talk about me......no seriously, if anyone is interested I will post an account here. Meanwhile bring on the snow in europe! looking forward to some decent snow to ski on!

Cheers
Guy

Dream Guides
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
count me interested

i think frank4short might be too Wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dreamguides, Welcome to snowHead Kudos to you, I'd love to hear more
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome and I would love to read about your trip.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I posted this on UKC - where frank4short indeed was interested! Anyway, i think there will be news and right ups in the ski press soon. Thanks for your interest!

Hi everyone! Back in Cham now = beer, macdonalds and all things good! Anyway so here's the low down on skiing Manaslu. Is it a first ever descent? Not sure - the ethics of ski mountaineering are even more complex than climbing! (combines ethics of climbing and skiing...)Anyway we are trying to clarify the start point of the descent and the 'completeness' of the descent by the austrians in 1981. If the discrepencies are minimal, ie they started at the logical skiing point and skied pretty much all the icefall to close to basecamp then they bag the first descent - if not then we do! Anyway, this is not the main point. I reckon both descents are 'way cool' and a great adventure, so I am not getting too bogged down in it.

So what happened? We set off at about 2.30am on 28th sept and summited around 9am. We skied from 15-20m below the true summit (the summit ridge wasnt skiable) at the logical start point. We were using oxygen. Feet were freezing in ski boots (had to thaw them out for an hour on the way down at 7500m). The ski started with a 40ish degree couloir at over 8100m which was cool. The snow down to 7500m was pretty bad breakable/unbreakable crust and i was managing about 6 turns before lungs burst. It's a bit like doing squat thrusts with an ill fitting gimp mask on - fun for a while...

From 7500m oxygen was off and full 60l packs were on and we rattled across some exposed glacial ice onto a 40ish degree pitch of chalky crust (cliff to the left) before traversing well right onto some great snow on a huge face at around 7200m - amazing ambiance and amazing to be making good boot top powder turns so high and so alone. We were a long way from the fixed ropes of the ascent line at this point. To avoid a big bergschrund we traveresd back left to our camp 3 at 6800m.From there great snow (bootop powder over breakable crust) took us to the icefall at 6250m. Here I managed a great wipeout as my right ski got snagged in a loop of buried fixed rope as i crossed a snowbridge, quite alarming.

We continued weaving through crevasses, sidestepping up short snow/ice steps and down hanging slopes to 5800m. A bit like a theme park, but more of a pain in the back bottom. By this stage we were in white out due to convective cloud building and wet surface snow was sluffing somewhat. But all turned out well as we followed someones old tracks across the final glacier back to base. Got there by 4pm, completely powered down!

I had taken my skis off once at 6200m to do a 5m abseil over a crevasse, as we couldnt see another way round in the white out. Emma downclimbed maybe 250m in the icefall.

So there we have it, a great adventure. Would probably get 4.2 E2 grade overall but hard to tell when so shafted at 8000m!

Thanks for your interest!
Guy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Welcome to snowheads.

Sounds fascinating, any pics/videos that you can share as well as text would be great!

Cheers,

greg
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ahh! photos and video - didnt know you could post those! will try a couple of photos...unfortunately I had a head-cam video recorder but it fefused to record up there, but i didnt realise until we had got down (muppet!)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sounds great, can you post a link to the piste map?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
i think i need to upload a couple of photos onto my blog first or something....

By the way, many thanks for my welcome to snowheads. I have actually followed it a bit last winter, thought this would be good chance to get involved!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sounds really impressive, I want piccies. What a shame about the headcam
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dreamguides, wow Shocked Truly impressive! What can I say - 'Well done!' seems somehow inadequate...

dreamguides wrote:
...unfortunately I had a head-cam video recorder but it fefused to record up there, but i didnt realise until we had got down (muppet!)

Oh dear, looks like you'll just have to do it again next year then! Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dreamguides, thanks for coming on here and sharing that. Chapeau.

I like the look of your website too.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Look forward to the pics.. Madeye-Smiley Cool
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Admit it. You were at Milton Keynes.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

I hope these photos have loaded... Just a couple to give a flavour - Dream Guides uber guide Rob Casserley on the summit, Rob and me before I skied off and one of me skiing at 8100, in the initial 40ish degree couloir (seems the big drop to my left is a bit closer than i remember!)
ski holidays

that's better!

Guy
ski holidays
bump because i went to see an Alpine Ski Club lecture given yesterday by Emma about this descent. sounded like a fantastic adventure, although Emma's walk in looked at least as gnarly as the climb!
latest report
Still no pics of them doing squat thrusts in ill fitting gimp masks Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
Whaddya mean not possible to ski from the summit. wink
snow report
dreamguides, wow, what a fantastic achievement - many congratulations to all involved. And welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
ski holidays
glad Emma's talk was good! I think its great to spread the word about what some Brits are doing in the ski mountaineering world, both in the alps and further afield...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy