Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Removable touring bindings

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone tried anything like these?

http://www.facewest.co.uk/BCA-Alpine-Trekkers.html

I only ever do the occasional bit of uphill to get to some nice powder so am tempted by this idea. Can't see that I'd ever be likely to climb for longer than 30 mins, an hour tops, so I'm not too worried about the extra weight.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hi RichA, i've borrowed a pair of these from a friend once before but unsuccessfully because I couldn't get them to fit on my Look PX 12 bindings. Might just have been incompetence on my part, but if possible take your skis with bindings to a shop that has them to see if they're compatible first.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I borrowed some trekkers and skingas off a mate last year and hired a guide for the day. Seems to me they are a good solution for inbounds skinning as you have the benefits of your alpine bindings for the descending. Its ws epic fun and the trekkers were very easy to use.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
In the circumstances you describe they're fine. However they're not called tourwreckers for nothing I wouldn't want to have to use them for any prolonged tours as they quickly become heavy & can be painful if you're balance isn't right as they add extra leverage off of the ski for any lateral movement in your feet when going up. In saying that i do know of one guy who did the haute route in these with alpine boots but then again he's nails.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Check they fit your bindings - if so then they'll be fine for shortish hikes and if you never try anything else they'll be the best things you've ever used...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've used them and don't think they're worth the faff. Easy to take on and off where its flat with firm snow, otherwise it can be tricky. Lateral movement makes them "interesting" to use when on hard pack (I know you're thinking of using them to access powder, but you sometimes have to cross wind-blown hard pack to reach the perfect powder!)
I have touring skis if I'm planning to go touring. If its a good snow day and I have to work, when I have time to sneak off to make some tracks somewhere, I take my skis off and walk.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alpine Trekers are great - especially if you can find a cheap second hand pair.

For sure they have lots of disadvantages (high off the ground, heavy, take up space in your pack).

But for accessing powder off the lifts they are just fine.
And they do have some unique advantages...

- Add alot of flexability to your quiver
- Can ski downhill in your normal bindings
- Great for going somewhere on a airplane, no need to take separate touring skis.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah I agree with Haggis here, I'm gonna use trekkers on my Redeemer's next season for access, means you've still got the security of an alpine binding but good options with your quiver. Yeah they're a faff when it comes to certain things but if you know this they're great for quick skins.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cool ... you've convinced me guys ... now for which ones ??? ....

don't suppose anybody knows which models are better than others .... price is quite a big factor for me as i will only rarely use them .. although i suppose a decent set would last a lifetime
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
er, aren't Dukes lighter than normal bindings plus Trekkers, and just as tough?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
horizon, yes but if you already have normal bindings Trekkers are a lot cheaper

RichA, - think it's a choice between Securafix and Trekkers - I'd just go for whichever is cheapest
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
horizon, some people don't like the stack height on Dukes. I don't have a problem with it myself but each to their own.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Personally I find the Duke's stack fine and you are on a very solid kind of plate... as opposed
to a single bar on some bindings, but it only the initial balance thing anyway, IME.. and you soon forget about that.

Never even thought about that re the Dukes, tho
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have a pair of Securafix thingamebobs but I've never used them. I don't know if mine have been cut down previously but they will only expand up to something like a size 8. It's also important to put a screw through them to stop them twisting.

http://www.wildsnow.com/backcountry-ski-museum/secura-fix/secura-fix.html
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy