Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Year Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, it looks like i might be getting the new year week. dec 26th onwards off woo hoo. I'm thinking of sneaking a trip in but never been this early before. Is it worth it snow wise, I know that changes year on year but just looking for some general advice toget a feel for it. Thanks all in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It will snow abundantly in Alpe d'Huez starting before 19 December.

It better do, my parents are getting there on the 19th and I follow suit on the 26th!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Is it worth it snow wise

Yes. We've been going away at this time for years, and have only had 1 bad year. Go high, where there is glacier for example. I am biased towards France, but we've had good times in Les Arcs, 3V [Mottaret] , Serre Chevalier and Flaine over Christmas. You might be getting more pebbles on the piste, and sometimes not all areas of the resorts are open, but TBH you sniff out the good stuff eventually! Have a search through some of the other threads too.

EDIT - Only thing is that it gets rather busier nearly New Year and more expensive as that is their big Hooley celebration more than Christmas. But have never really been bothered with crowds, again if you ski smart.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
MJS, I'd book pretty quickly for that week. A lot of the good quality accommodation is now booked. I have been looking for a chalet to sleep 9 in Champagny for that week but their is nothing available other than apartments and all the good quality ones are fully booked.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skichampcouk, I agree, being trying to find an apartment for friends without success.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Everything will be super expensive for that week including 'cheap' flights, and probably booked. plus big queues on the lifts.

I'd say pick the most obscure resort you can find and drive there.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MJS, unless it's your only chance, almost any other week in the season is preferable, really. It's not that you can't have fun at New Year - you can just have more fun for less money some other time.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, 1000% agree!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi, need to go on the 27th of Dec, was hoping to go to chamrousse,(free passes) but all French hols seem to be leaving on the 26th. Any ideas, for one adult and two twelve year olds.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 13-10-09 18:43; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Don't go straight for the super-high resorts for early skiing. You are better off looking for where has had snow on a last minute basis then use some-one like chalets direct to find accommodation last minute. The high resort runs are above the tree/grass line this means they take alot of snow to get going (to cover the boulders). I use to work in Val Thorens and even on the glacier etc. it takes ages if there is not alot of early season snow. Sure things last better into the late season but not early. Go for lower resorts that have just had snow (Austria/lowalps/pyrneees) and that have pistes that are grass covered. They only need a bit of snow to be skiable - and you don't have to dodge ski biting rocks lurking just under the surface.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all for your replies, can't book early as I'm not sure if i'm definately off yet. Price wise my girlfriend and I are tied to school hols so we've been looking at Feb half term too!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
great snow this time of year for the last few years, busy in the big resorts though.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
MJS

We have booked Passo Tonale in the Brenta Dolomites for new year. Mostly easy skiing (which the wife likes) with some challenging runs and Glacier skiing very near.

Also, prices are reasonable for that time of year but you would need to book fairly soon as getting booked up

Hope this helps
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MJS, Still have 2 en-suite rooms available over New Year, one is a bit cheaper than the other due to ceiling height. Contact Nina through the website below, use the contact page. Tell her you came via snowHead 's for a better price. Others allready booked are a fun bunch, so a good time will be had.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We went to Val Cenis last year for New Year and it was surprisingly quiet, we didn't really have to queue at all, arriving at Chambery airport was a shambles though!! We ended up going with Thompson (normally do it ourselves) as it worked out cheaper. The snow was gorgeous but it was very very cold - mainly due to lack of sun on the slopes, the weather was actually quite good. Val Cenis is a quiet resort, not great if you are looking for much night life.

Les Gets has grassy slopes but not sure what it is like that early on, only ever been at Easter and will be going back again this time.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy