Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to test Dynafit

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone know of a test days or a decent shop that rents dynafit setups in Verbier or Chamonix? I get no response from the contact email address on their website and the dealer locator includes lots of shops, many of which I know don't have dynafit gear on test. Thanks in advance, Bob

ps if anyone is interested in Touring gear this site has some pretty comprehensive reviews www.wildsnow.com
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dynafit rental bindings do exist but can't imagine they are common because most people looking to rent touring kit have their own boots already which probably aren't dynafit compatible

I'd say just go for it. Haven't met anyone who would go back to Fritschis or others once they have taken the plunge (I am assuming that you are getting these for something more than very occasional 30min walks in between mogul bashing and cliff drops!)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Here in Austria the main sports chains often do test weekends for touring gear

e.g. http://www.eybl.at/-7877-1-1-de--/cms.html#/Aktuelle_Events/Events/Ski-_und_Snowboard-_Tourenopening/-7904-6-319-de--/cms.html?flash=true

maybe sportschains in Switzerland or France do the same.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tks for the responses. There are ski tests at Zermatt and Saas Fee in Oct and Nov but none include Dynafit. I want to test Zzeus and Titan boots and as many as I can find of the Manaslu, Mustagha Ata, Nanga Parbat and Seven Summit skis. Ideally on one day. I've signed up for the short version of the Patrouille des Glaciers in April and my current touring setup - Dynastar Mythic Riders + Fritschi Freeride are a bit heavy. I also have Kuros with Dukes but touring for more than an hour on those is hell. I want to go Dynafit bindings with a light ski. So will also need Dynafit compatible boots. Not that impressed with downhill performance of my Endorphin MG's and a friend who moved from Garmont to ZZeus last year swears by them. I ski quite aggressive so also interested in Titans. But I really want to test at least the skis before buying. Surely somewhere must rent Dynafit?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think the shop in the Le Chable lift station does rent Dynafit gear.
They are certainly very well set up with rental touring stuff, and are Dynafit dealers.
Montagne Show is the name of the place.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bobinch, remind me in the spring and I will stand you a beer at the finish.

I would say that 27km in 8 hrs with a near on 2 kilo boot would probably kill me and I would be looking at something lighter.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks Gorilla! You are probably right but I want a pair of boots that I can also drive the Kuros with and hopefully I can lose enough weight with the skis and bindings. Re the PdG, a little bit of sufferring never did anyone any harm Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bobinch, What do you find wrong with the Endo's..?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just not stiff enough in challenging conditions. Keen to see if zzeus/Titan does a better job.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ellis Brigham are doing ZZeus and dynafit bindings this year. Dont know if there are any test pairs. Maybe give them a call.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hey bobinch, did you find a place where to rent Dynafits (especially Manaslus) in Switzerland? Would be very interested to test them!!

Thanks!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What are the dynafits (bindings) like on the downhill? I'm currently using Marker Barons on Big Troubles, but they're just soooooo heavy on the up if you're going for any reasonable distance. Do dynafit bindings compromise much on downhill ability for the weight loss?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
clarky999, no. They are very torsionally rigid. The only issue I find skiing them is that they have a stack of ramp angle. You may find this an issue coming from the Barons.

Obviously there are a range of other considerations regarding faff factor, care and feeding etc. See http://www.wildsnow.com/articles/dynafit_faq/dynafit_faq1.html
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gorilla wrote:
.......The only issue I find skiing them is that they have a stack of ramp angle.......

So just shim up the toe piece - using longer screws of course.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
OK, so maybe they take a little longer to get in to, but once you do it a few times, it's fast & easy.

clarky999, They ski great, I'm pretty happy hitting small kickers and will drop anything up to 10' with no worries (on old comforts, maxed out at 10).

There is no stack height and very very little slop which, IMO, makes them the best touring binding available - before you even get in to the weight advantage and the great tow pivot point.

The interface with the ski is very solid, it could be argued that it's too solid - there is no elasticity in it's retention.

The only other main difference with Dynafits & any other binding (AT or Alpine) is it has no true toe release value.

I can see myself only skiing on Dynafits in the next few years.

bobinch, sorry, I missed this the first time round. Did you get sorted? I'm pretty sure that Mountain Air rents Dynafits, but I don't think they had a great choice of (hire) boots. Also le Look Montagne in Martigny is an awesome shop for touring gear, can't remember what they have for rent.
ski holidays
bobinch, the shop rungsp mentioned, Montagne Show, are having a ski test next weekend in Bruson AFAIK.
snow report
Thanks guys. Have gone for 183 Bros, Dynafit FT12's and Titans. First day on them tomorrow....
snow report
Did a couple of runs on the Dynafit Stoke today, a little soft for my liking but awesome for a 105mm underfoot ski that's very light.
snow report
Quote:

I'm considering this but am concerned about whether it will interfere with the crampon attachment.
ski holidays
gorilla wrote:
Quote:

I'm considering this but am concerned about whether it will interfere with the crampon attachment.

Couldn't comment if there would be any interference as I've never seen the bindings with the crampons fitted. Ask the TGR guys.
snow report
gorilla wrote:
Quote:

ST10 or FT12? Do you already have the crampons?

I don't think it would matter too much - guess it depends on the height on the shim... You would use some effective use of the knives but nothing to worry about. Make sure the shim is cut to fit under the crampon attachment otherwise the leverage forces would tear it off the ski.
ski holidays
ST10 - I've had a look at it and I reckon I would have to go up about 8-10mm to zero the delta. This is a lot and would possibly interfere with the effectiveness of the crampon. Maybe removing some of the heel lift in the boots and going for a smaller shim would be a good compromise.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy