Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

USA REPORT: LAKE TAHOE 2009/10

Poster: A snowHead
kitenski, I'd go wine tasteing instead - it probably won't be worth the drive - the Sacremento weather stations are downgrading the storm for tonight, saying only a few inches of snow may fall, and maybe a foot on Friday.
Squaw is due to open on Saturday but it will be very limited terrain and that will be mainly man made snow. snowHead

Enjoy the good weather down in the Bay!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Storm due to come through here tomorrow into Saturday - forcasting anywhere from 5 to 18 inches, we shall see! snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
18 might have fallen somewhere along the crest.
The storm was a wind event so in some areas there is likely zero snow while other
areas could have drifts 8-10 feet deep.
Friday just happened to be one of my big days this week driving.
I went from Sparks thru South Reno up Geiger grade thru Virginia City, thru 6 mile canyon out past Dayton, back around thru Carson,
then up over Spooner to Incline then over Rose pass back down to South Reno.
112009 pics
SIX MILE CANYON

SANDSTORM EAST OF DAYTON

DUST BUILDUP

SNOW PICKING UP IN INCLINE

UP TOWARDS ROSE PASS

CARNAGE
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Little to report other than sunny skies.
Heavenly probably has the best overall conditions due to their early season use of the tamarack base area at the top of the gondola.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cool pics.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
a little system possibly impacting the viewing area starting tommorrow
to quote NOAA Reno
"SNOW SHOWERS SHOULD LINGER INTO SATURDAY AFTN/EVNG OVER THE HIGH
SIERRA WHERE ACCUMULATIONS OF MORE THAN A FOOT ARE POSSIBLE BEFORE
THE SNOW SHOWERS END BY LATE SATURDAY NIGHT."
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Its lightly snowing and is suppose to continue snowing off and on until thurs? 1 inch to 3 feet possible.
Hopefully there will be a break in the storms so I can head over mt rose pass before tuesday.
I'll have a camera.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowy all around with some areas already reporting over a foot.
Storms are now slated to be menacing for the next week or so.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Storm totals came to about 3 feet along the crest from Tahoe to Mammoth.
Another storm is on track for next weekend.
left my sunroof open a crack too much sunday nite.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
lake tahoe looking pretty

5 day precip forecast looking slutty Twisted Evil

This one should be interesting to watch
IR water vapor
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This one is getting me pumped.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SNOW DOWN TO THE VALLEY FLOOR

BOOTPACK

ANYONE HERE GOING TO TAKE CREDIT FOR THESE? Twisted Evil
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DIAMOND PEAK RESORT
OPENING DAY

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The refresh continues as the yuletime season kicks into hi gear. Looks like a possibe 12".
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Excellent news 3snowboards. Please keep the regular updates coming as a january trip to squaw has just been booked...snowHead
latest report
hd wrote:
Excellent news 3snowboards. Please keep the regular updates coming as a january trip to squaw has just been booked...snowHead

On what dates?
Are you planning on touring other resorts?

Squaw valley has really been going off as of late.
Granite chief open.
KT22 open.
ski holidays
3snowboards wrote:
hd wrote:
On what dates?

20-29 Jan

3snowboards wrote:
Are you planning on touring other resorts?

Yes. Which would you recommend? Is Kirkwood too far from Squaw village for a day trip?

Can you provide links to any good local forecasts?
How much are they predicting from tonight's storm?
ski holidays
I love Kirkwood!!!! Have no idea how far it is from Squaw so not much use really - sorry...
snow report
Tonight's storm is not supposed to bring much but my fingers are crossed! It's not snowing yet but is cloudy and cold! Squaw to Kirkwood takes me about 2 hours. For weather forcasts we use the NOAA site since you can do a pin point forcast for Granite Chief!
snow conditions
it's snowing at squaw right now! If you get to squaw look me up!
snow conditions
I little dusting over the crest last night. 4" @alpine meadows and prolly more to the north @squaw and sugarbowl. Crisp day here with the inversion mixed out after a few days.
latest report
phone pic from alpine meadows yesterday
snow report
With no new snow in the last 10 days and mild temps I was starting to get a tad concerned but this is encouraging (quoting Sliding on the Cheap's facebook site):

Mike Pechner's Local's Tahoe Forecast! Snow late tonight with widespread snow, heavy at times with gusty winds throughout Tuesday with snow spilling into Wednesday morning. Skies clear Wednesday night with clear, sunny and cold weather Thursday thru Saturday. Snow late in the Martin Luther King Weekend. Six to 12" is ...likely at Lake Level. 12 to 24" around 7000 ft and up to 36" at 8000 ft.

Looking further ahead GFS is starting to forecast a monster dump for the beginning of next week i.e. just before we arrive...snowHead snowHead snowHead

snow conditions
Rode yesterday but once again didnt bring camera
only have a couple cell phone pics. rolling eyes
By all appearances this cycle we have entered seems like a pretty good one,
(but then again my cutoff for greatness is pretty high).
We usually get at least one 100+'' week every year (maybe this could be it).
This one really looks good because of the nice base its going to build on.
latest report
Sliding on the Cheap:
Heavy snow this morning in Tahoe Donner. I spoke with our weather guru, Mike Pechner. He says to expect a foot around lake level, up to three feet at 8,000 by tomorrow morning. Next week, heavy snow in the forecast, perhaps as much as four or five feet...

Shocked NehNeh snowHead
snow conditions
KT22 today - 200 ft of wonderful and then the wettest sludge I've ever skied - every turn was a battle to hold knee ligaments together. Better to come in wet then cool down for the snowpack overall however.
snow report
Oooohhhh...
Quote:
SIERRA NEVADA SNOWS MAY BE IN THE 8-12 FOOT RANGE.

Actually I'm starting to get a tad concerned that we might struggle to drive up to Squaw from SFO on Wednesday evening. Should I be? We've hired a "Saturn Vue or similar" SUV. (4x4 I think/hope!!!)
snow conditions
I'm confident that you will eventually make it to Squaw Valley USA.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowing now in Truckee - just started! hd how long are you going to be here for? Three snowheads at Squaw at once might be too much for the resort to cope with! Smile
snow report
Until Thursday 28th. Looks like my powder wand is working its magic yet again. Smile
ski holidays
hd look out for me in the instructor line-up - white helmet with pink hearts on it. Take care driving up on Wednesday!
ski holidays
hd, good luck with the drive up from San Francisco - we came in yesterday afternoon (from the other direction, Reno - Carson City - South Lake Tahoe) and it was fine. However there will be a fair bit more snow by the time you travel, it hadn't really started when we came over the pass. I believe that I80 (I assume that would be the way you'd come?) was chains or 4x4 with snow tyres last night, and judging by the amount of snow falling outside our window at the moment, plus the forecast, it will be fairly snowy by Wednesday evening!!! Hopefully your SUV is 4x4 and has snow tyres.

Have a check of THIS PAGE to check on the road conditions.

Anyway, fingers crossed for you - I'm sure you'll make it, but it may take some time!! Assuming you do, it looks to be a great week ahead..... See you on the lifts!

Cheers
Billy M
ski holidays
It's dumping at Squaw - upper mountain is closed due to high winds and this is supposedly only the start of the storm for today!
latest report
Bit of a semi wash-out at heavenly today - only a few lifts running, managed a few laps in good snow. Unfortunately at about 10.30 they decided to close the whole mountain due to winds. Admittedly it was a bit blowy, but didn't seem strong enough to close everything. Disappointing!

Forecast is for similar windy weather in the next few days - it's a real kick in the teeth to know that there's so much snow, but you can't ski it. I wonder if any of the other areas are better for windy days...?

At least when the mountains open fully the snow won't have been all tracked out - I guess it's a waiting game....
latest report
hd, it would seem your timing is impeccable - can you let me know when and where you go next year?!?!?!?

After the wind issues at Heavenly yesterday (weather, not us!), we decided to head elsewhere today... Sierra at Tahoe was brilliant - oodles of snow, and dumping down all day long which was filling in all the tracks. Absolutely brilliant. This morning they reported over 3 ft in 48 hours, but in places it seemed like more. And there must have been close to another foot or so fall while we were skiing, at a guess.

Still tipping down with snow outside, and supposedly not going to let up all night. Tonight is forecast to be the biggest of the storms, as if it's not been big enough already this week!! Tomorrow should be great....

Apologies, I would put some pics up, but am off to the bar to celebrate!
ski holidays
Squaw was $$$$ today. And Granite and Headwall still to open.
snow report
Day 1

We arrived in Squaw ridiculously late last night after an "interesting" drive up from SFO. Thank feck we had a 4x4 with snow tyres.
Today started overcast then the dumporama recommenced in the afternoon. Superb first day. Soooo much snow...

ski holidays
Great pics HD.
I'm back after being in chicago and wyoming and utah the last few days.
Rode some pow before I left and should have some tommorrow.
ski holidays
Cheers 3snowboards. It just keeps on snowing here snowHead although today was horrible heavy sludge. We had a great day at Alpine on Saturday - superb place. Traffic jam up to Squaw was ridiculous at the weekend. I overheard people saying in the lift lines today that it was the busiest weekend they've had in years. Much quieter today though, partly due to the inclement weather as well I think.

Tomorrow we're going to hit another resort. Any recommendations? Trying to decide between Mount Rose, Sugar Bowl or Alpine again. Which would you recommend? I think Mount Rose has a 2 for 1 lift ticket offer on Tuesdays is that correct? We'd love to go to Kirkwood but the drive looks too far for a day trip with the emerald bay route being closed. Sad
snow report
Squaw had over 14,000 people on the mountain on Saturday - which was why the traffic was so bad!

Anywhere will be quiet mid-week apart from Squaw on a powder day. Homewood is usually good days after a storm but is smaller.

It doesn't take that much longer to go around the east side of the lake to get to south shore - the west shore drive can be slow at the best of times, especially coming down the hairpin bends! So the drive to Kirkwood might be worth it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy