Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Altenmarkt or Mauterndorf? Possibly Filzmoos?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I've whittled the venue for our next ski trip (13th of March) down to either Altenmarkt or Mauterndorf, but can't decide between them. We are one good intermediate (me) and two second weekers (one of them fearless, one fearful). No car!

We're looking for somewhere cuddly and Austrian, with the following:

Easy cruising on wide blues
Quiet runs (particularly important)
Pretty village
Mix of tree lined and open runs
Nice rustic mountain restaurants

Really, we're looking for somewhere gentle and friendly with good long progression runs that are skiable in bad conditions.

If anyone's been to either of these places and can let me know if they fit the bill or not, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks, Liam
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Altenmarkt will definitely fit the bill. Charming village, quiet and should suit beginners and intermediates. You also have sister village Zauchensee (world cup venue) for some more challenging stuff.

Can put you in touch with someone in Altenmarkt if you need more info - send me a PM
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Both (or all three) locations will be fine given your specific wants. Personally, I would slightly prefer Mauterndorf since this is in a region (Lungau) of Austria which is really somewhat special. Very authentic village, no teutonic Rambazamba etc. There are several different ski areas in the Lungau, all with the same appeal (no crowds, but fine skiing).

However, the Lungau is somewhat more remote than Altenmarkt. If you are without your own car you will be dependent on ski busses to go to all the different resorts. Last negative point compared to Altenmarkt: Lungau gets somewhat less snow than Altenmarkt-Zauchensee since it is in the rain shadow of the Radstädter Tauern mountain range.

If you want more snow in combination with a quiet, authentic village than Filzmoos would win against Altenmarkt. Filzmoos also wins easily concerning the alpine environment. The Bischofsmütze, a rocky peak towering above the village, is quite an amazing view.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both, that's really helpful.

Vman - how would Zauchensee be for a timid skier? I wonder if the three of us could enjoy the trip over to Flachauwinkl etc. The other two in the group seem to be terrified of other skiers, and my one concern here is that we'll be swamped by high mileage, high speed skiers who won't give us much room (as was my experience in Schladming). Although I do think they'd enjoy a bit of a ski safari, in the right conditions. How about the bars in Altenmarkt? We like cosy, quiet sort of places. Really we're three old men in our 30s.

RandyAlp - yes, that's the appeal of Mauterndorf for me - it looks very unspoilt and rural. I don't mind a bit of inconvience in terms of transport. Last year we went (carless) to Grimentz which I found incredibly inconvenient in this respect, and all the better for it! The snow in Lungua does worry me a bit though.. I've noticed that the tourist office is selling it as 'sunny' (to my mind that means bare slopes!). There should be enough snow though, right? I'm not particularly fussy about snow quality. And since Obertauern is on the lift pass we should have something to ski on, although that's not somewhere that I think I'd choose to go otherwise. As for Filzmoos, I've just double checked the apartment rentals and since it's not as rock bottom cheap as the other two, I may have to forget about that one! That is unless I can find evidence of bus link to Ramsau, which I've got an inappropriate affection for! Do you know of one?

Thanks again!

Liam
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Draybs74, really don't think you will have a problem being swamped in Altenmarkt/Zauchensee. These are much quieter than schladming and the date you are going will be pretty quiet - safely away from half termers and easter holidays. Its a great time for timid skiers - my wife is much more wary of other skiers and so we often go to the Amade region in mid Jan and Mid march. We ski a couple of villages away in Alpendorf and so know the area well but have sent you a PM with details of people who live and breath this resort.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
So you have! Many thanks for that.

Good to know it's quieter than Schladming....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I wouldnt recommend Filzmoos - just not enough skiing there for intermediate
On the skiing front Altenmarkt is just about perfect, there is enough fun to be had on the Altenmarkt/Radstadt slopes and even at half term I could do top to bottom and maybe see one or two people

Zauchensee is a quick bus away and is a cracking resort - the run over too Flachauwinkl would be a bit much for a nervous second weeker though imo but there is easily a good week of skiing to be had by all three in Zauchensee/Altenmarkt. Take a look at some of the resort reviews of Zauchensee - it does seem to get a good report from practically everybody who goes

Although Zauchensee is busier than Altenmarkt it is nothing like Schaladming - and the quality of skiier is much higher so you dont feel as threatened - more Austrians - less Brits!
(again only my experience!!!)

Not sure I would describe the village of Altenmarkt as pretty, its not ugly by any means but no chocolate box place, few of the places we ate were definately cosy and nice though, but from a skiing point of view - 2 days in Altenmarkt/Radstadt followed by a few more in Zauchensee would be pretty much ideal for all of you
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Draybs74: The Lungau is high enough to have snow (usually enough snow) and a great winter feeling. However, nothing is for sure anywhere. Yes, the Lungau basin is relatively dry but it is also free of Foehn (a warm fall wind which usually destroys the snow in some valleys a couple of times each winter). Indeed, it is a very cold basin (due to inversion meaning cold, dry air moves to the ground because cold air is heavier, then sometimes the temperatures are higher in the mountains than in the valley).

Chances are really high that you will have well enough snow for skiing. Of course, they have man-made snow as well. Obertauern (which receives the snow from the North) is one of the snow-richest resorts in Austria. So, in case you have a back-up Smile. The Katschberg area (which is linked from the valley via St. Margareten) is very snow sure as well (at least the area around the pass 1700-2200m).

It is a really long time ago I have been in the village of Altenmarkt. But as far as I remember the village is not particular quaint or neat. Just a standard Austrian village which happens to be in the mountains (but at least without the architectural "sins" which are so typical for many resorts in Tyrol).

The Lungau counts as a somewhat "secret" spot even in Austria among Austrians. I would recommend to give it a try.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks everyone. I think I'm leaning towards Lungau. Although I suppose there's no reason not to split the week between the two!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Draybs74, I stayed in Mautendorf last year.

You mention in your original post you won't have a car - I'd seriously recommend hiring one. It's a really easy drive from Salzburg. You then have Grosseck-Spiereck (2 mins), Katschberg (10 mins), Fanninberg (10 mins) and Obertauern (20 mins - for bulletproof snow). Driving to these resorts from Mauterndorf is so easy. You just rock up at 10am after a leisurely breakfast and park within 2 minutes walk of the lift. Nothing like UK parking!

Not sure I'd recommend Mauterndorf *without* a car. You're then reliant on the skibus for all mountains - the local mountain (Grosseck-Spiereck) is out of town on the road to Obertauern. It will also presumably be a faff to transfer from the airport.

If you're truly carless then you might be better off staying in St.Michael, 5 minutes down the road. There's a lift from Grosseck-Spiereck which comes down into the village and I think a you're also slighly closer on the bus to the lifts from St.Margaret into the Katschberg area. That gives you 2 decent sized areas to ski. St.Michael is a bit more ski-resorty, but not in a bad way, than Mauterndorf. I'd recommend getting the google earth out to see the lie of the land of bit.

Snowreliability wise, you have Obertauern and also your local hill Grosseck-Spiereck although it will be billed as 1000-2400m is basically 1800-2400 with 2 home runs and so at its eastern latitude is as snow reliable as it gets in Europe outside of a glacier. Sunny? It was north facing as I recall.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JimiHendrix, I stayed in St Michael 4 yrs ago.
Then lift is (was) a slowish 2 man chairlift (err, 2 stage I think - my memory's a bit poor) and is a bit of walk out of town. Fine for me then as the hotel was also out of town but near by:), but I don't recall any "skibuses" around town to ferry you there if you're in town.
Post bus to Katschberg was about an half hour apart I think(depending on time of day), although it's only 10 mins away.
Not sure about this - but I would guess you'd have something as regular as that from Mauterndorf to St Margarethen (the far-end of the Katschsberg area)
It'd also be easier to get to Obertauern from Mautenrdorf - I would guess a direct bus, you'd certainly have to change buses if starting from st Michael.
Also depends what you want from the town - but I thought that Mauterndorf was more picturesque than St Michael and seemed to have a bit more life (I don't think there was more than a couple of bars in the town in st Michael, so no "apres-ski" of note) - I could be wrong though as we didn't get to walk around Mauterndorf itself.
Would say though that taking account all the different ski areas, it's got plenty to keep you occupied.
Oh yes - whilst it's always convenient with a car, you can do without though it does take a bit of planning around the buses.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
HiDraybs74, if you go to Altenmarkt you can also ski in Flachau which IMHO is fantastic for intermediates,not so for black run lovers, but the pistes are very wide and there is a great run down the Wagrain side, the red 8er which is long and good for building confidence, I take all my nervousish friends there and they love it!There are loads of huts and restaurants and in the week you say you are going, should be fairly quiet.As the confidence grows you could nip over into Zauchensee, but do that in the morning as it can be shady and the vision not so good for the more fearful!Buses are very good from Altenmarkt to Flachau, I think Altenmarkt/Radstadt are fine for a few days but you may get bored as its very small. Wherever you go, ENJOY!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks again everyone. I'm still pretty much undecided! They both sound great in different ways. The decider may be - which area has the most ridiculously easy slopes? I've had my eye on Wagrain before.. Might this be a better choice over Altenmarkt in terms of prettiness of village?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Draybs74, I think Altenmarkt is very pretty,but it is small. You cant really do a day shopping or spend ages walking around, and there is not very much in the way of apres ski, it is a very residential area.If however you wander over to Flachau thats where the buzz is, and there are some very easy runs ther, as I said, wide and inviting for a nervous skier.Wagrain is bigger and also pretty, lots of small bars and shops, and the skiing is truly wonderful, I spent almost all my free time there last winter,skiing alone ´cos im the slowest member of the family Embarassed and stopping off for the occasional beer here and there,the red 8er is very good as there are quite a few huts on the way down,and a nice (almost) empty cable car at the bottom to rest the legs Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The lungau really is a hidden spot (shhh), at the time of year you will be going you will not believe how quiet it is on the slopes. Mautendorf is the best location to make use of all the areas I would say as the ski bus goes from there to Obertauern, Faningberg, St Margareten and St Michael. For your beginners I recommend Faningberg to start off with, then Spererieck, once they have some confidence go to Katschberg via St Margareten. Obertauern is of course there as a snow back-up and great for intermediates, only 15mins away from Mautendorf by ski bus however I wouldn't worry too much about the snow, as others have hinted the Lungau valley is perculiarly colder than surrounding areas and thus the snow is pretty assured. Mautendorf or Altenmarkt, you will enjoy either so good choices.
ski holidays
Draybs74,

Drop me a PM if you are still undecided (the link is at the top right).
There are many ways for you to get the benefit of the whole area rther than just staying put!
ski holidays
Oh yes, forgot to update. We've settled on Mauterndorf. Just finalising the accommodation now. Will report back.... Thanks everyone for your advice!
snow conditions
rolling eyes can't believe I managed to miss pimping this thread earlier! Laughing
snow report
I am suprised at you Flangesax ..... you are normally very quick.... I have been told!
snow conditions
Don't worry Flangesax, you can pimp my threads next year! I did consider Radstadt but the tourist office accommodation search engine didn't throw up many appetising options. Feel free to PM me the details of your place. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Excellent info here, thinking of going next year to Ski Amade, one thought, can anyone advise likely car parking charges at ski lift stations (or are any of them free)?
snow report
You should find that most of the parking areas are free off charge - bargain hey! Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
The most they normally go to is to show your lift pass at the kasse/till and then they give you an activated ticket. Schladming now has a ski-to multi-level car park... I like parking at the bottom just to squeeze that little bit more out of the piste!
I think Flachau Winkl is going to have a new one this year too!
skizauchensee.com, get back to work!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy