Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance for Instructors

Poster: A snowHead
Its that time of year again and the direct travel policy has come up for renewal. I will be doing paid for teaching this year on a more regular basis and was wondering what jobbing instructors use for travel and health insurance... my short list includes..

Might be an idea to have a resource thread that we can update. For instance i used to use Fogg but they changed their off piste without guide policy, some have ambiguous wording on race training...

Direct Travel
Fogg
Dogtag
Snow card
BMC
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Isn't BMC seen as being one of the best?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skimottaret, I've looked at this in detail in the past and eventually settled on:

Snowcard (Level 4?) for 'random' Instructing trips back and forth to the UK. Although expensive it would appear to be good and I expect I'll go that way this year. It's best to mix & match, choosing Annual cover with Snowsports added.

I've also used a Fogg season policy, but the last time I checked it excluded any race training.
Last season I used the Ski Club 'season' policy which had excellent cover, although if you are not out for the season I think Snowcard would be cheaper, just.

As roga says, The BMC policy also has a good rep, but like the ski club, you have to join.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
david@mediacopy, thanks... i am always of mixed mind on this stuff. My wife gets a family travel/private health policy through her work which is very good but doesnt cover offpiste w/o guide. I topped that up last year with direct travel (for off piste and race training) and a carte neige. I did get hurt last year and the CN worked brilliant for the piste rescue and i just used my EHIC for french docs in Albertville and private health for treatment back home.

I am tempted just to get Carte neige or local equivalent in Austria and not bother with ski insurance per se...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret, are the policies you listed above still valid if you're hurt whilst doing professional teaching?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
beanie1 wrote:
skimottaret, are the policies you listed above still valid if you're hurt whilst doing professional teaching?

BMC - I've heard that it does

Snowcard, Yes, depending on level selected

Fogg, usually, on a seasonairs policy.

I'd say no on most of the other holiday type policies.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
beanie1, dont know yet, was hoping to find out here...

i THINK but dont know for sure that the CN type of rescue insurance works for anyone, cant imagine that an ESF guy wouldnt qualify for instance. I am thinking once off the hill and in a hospital i get treated with my EHIC or private health care.. cant see what i was doing has any bearing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret, i just thought it might be one of those things they use to wiggle out of a claim. Of course the EHIC means the important medical side is covered, but what about things like repatriation, holiday curtailment, ski pass etc?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret, beanie1, I think the issue is getting home should you get hurt badly. I think they would wriggle....

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 6-10-09 13:44; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret wrote:
...which is very good but doesnt cover offpiste w/o guide.

I hate to point out the obvious, but you're qualified to lead off-piste Toofy Grin Does it explicitly say a guide, or does it say the equivalent of "somone qualified to lead off-piste"?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
FlyingStantoni, that means the insurance company can sue you back through your professional liability insurance if things go wrong rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And how do they define a guide?!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
david@mediacopy wrote:
BMC - I've heard that it does

The BMC has by far the best off-piste cover.

With the BMC you can choose an option if you're being paid to lead a mountain activity, although it more or less doubles the premium IIRC. I suspect that most of this is professional liability cover.

It may well be worth a direct phone call to the insurers, though, as your BASI membership gives you professional liability - so they may be willing to underwrite you without an increase in premium.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
david@mediacopy, the BASI membership provides liability insurance.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
the repatriation bit could be were my idea falls down... if hurt while teaching my cover might not be valid and something like snowcard might be the way to go.. i think i will still top up with on hill rescue wherever i may be
latest report
david@mediacopy wrote:
skimottaret, beanie1, I think the issue is getting home should you get hurt badly. I think they would wriggle....

Carte Neige provides repatriation cover IIRC.
latest report
skimottaret, I think you need to invest some time in a large spreadsheet and then share the results with us...
snow report
FlyingStantoni, Laughing forgot i am now an off piste guru rolling eyes and can be my own "guide". again will have to check...
snow report
I'm gonna be doing some stuff in Scotland this year so I'm questioning whether I need any insurance apart from what BASI's liability cover for that - anyone know or think different?

I'll also be doing a week with Interski in Italy but I think they cover you for most things apart from loss of personal items so I guess a basic weeks insurance will cover that.

Apart from that perhaps the odd cheeky weekend away... Toofy Grin
latest report
heard a very solid rumour today that BASI have concluded negotiating a travel insurance policy for BASI members. An email will be doing the rounds from BASI soon so my advice is to hold off for a few days. The whole thing will be available from November. If the prices I’ve seen are true they are very competitive.

I will be be going with the new policy as it sounds ideal for part timers......
snow report
FlyingStantoni, I was told after Julian's accident that Carte Neige only covers repatriation to a French address. So they would have taken him by ambulance back to our apartment, but not arranged for transport by air back to the UK.
snow conditions
^^ Nice one skimottaret, sounds ideal Very Happy
latest report
Helen Beaumont wrote:
FlyingStantoni, I was told after Julian's accident that Carte Neige only covers repatriation to a French address. So they would have taken him by ambulance back to our apartment, but not arranged for transport by air back to the UK.

Thanks Helen Beaumont - I'll try and dig out the information I based that on. My memory could well be wrong.
snow report
I've just noticed this item on piste-hors with reference to the accident involving the 2 boarders in Tignes a few years ago.

http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/0958-avalanche-families-long-wait-for-closure/

The article mentions the stance taken by the underwriter, CNA , used by at least one of the companies mentioned above.
snow conditions
bump... BASI havent launced any insurance products from what i can see.. any news on the rumour mill as to when it will come out.
snow conditions
skimottaret, in a couple of weeks time i think.
snow report
beanie1, merci, i will hold then...
ski holidays
Fingers crossed. I'm travelling late November.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any more news/gossip on the BASI offer ? I dropped them an email today but no joy as yet.
snow report
I emailed the MD of the insurance company which will be providing the cover. He said it will be available by the time I go to the Alps (25 Nov), if not I can "shoot him" Smile. From what I understand the policy and T&Cs are all agreed, and the only thing which needs to be done is complete the website that will sell the policy. This may well be tied in with the new BASI website which seems to be imminent.
snow report
Quote:

new BASI website

Shocked the old one is so good why would they want to change anything Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

the old one is so good why would they want to change anything Toofy Grin

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
rob@rar, So your holding out ?
ski holidays
Just had a reply. "Imminent" apparently. I'll give it to the end of the week. . .
snow report
david@mediacopy wrote:
Just had a reply. "Imminent" apparently. I'll give it to the end of the week. . .

I had the same response from Andi McCann when I saw him this morning (he's the new director of marketing on BASI's board of management). He said he thought it would be this week.
snow report
^ looking forward to seeing it ... and seeing the back of the old site! Toofy Grin
snow report
rob@rar,
Is that Andi McCann from Interski Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Wayne wrote:
rob@rar,
Is that Andi McCann from Interski Laughing Laughing Laughing
Laughing
snow conditions
Wayne, classic, wish I'd been there!
snow report
Just checking the policy wording on the Direct Travel policy -

https://www.direct-travel.co.uk/Documents/Current-Policy-Wording.pdf

see page 14/15 (marked) definitions of Winter Sports. Excluded are:

Quote:
ski instructor courses or winter sports courses lasting more than 2 weeks unless you have contacted us and we have agreed cover (an extra premium may need to be paid).
* Please note that there is no personal liabiliy cover under Section 9 of this policy whilst participating in these activities.

I wonder what my 1 week technical training with a trainer counts as (but I can guess) rolling eyes
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy