Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix in Feb half term

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone been to Chamonix in Feb half term. I have ended up booking a 3 day trip to Chamonix with some friends. We are going there because I couldnt find anywhere else that would take a 4 night booking during that week (and I really like the town). I'm a bit concerned that with big crowds and slow lifts it will get really busy. Has anyone been there at February? What are the queues like? We will have a car, would you advise trying out any other resorts nearby like Morzine or Courmayeur?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I suspect the answer to that depends on what level you ski at Drluvski.

I suspect that you'll be better if you're skiing on knarly terrain, but anything with a blue slope is likely to be hell.

You're likely to be as well, if not better, off in Chamonix than you are in any of the more "family friendly" resorts like Morzine, Flaine or Megeve.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
[b]FlyingStantoni[/bWe are all able to ski red runs (even the ones in Chamonix and Argentiere)), so will be able to avoid the blues.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've done it and it's not as bad as I've heard people make out! There are queues for sure but you can minimise the time:

My tips:
Get up early. Most of the bottlenecks happen at the base lifts - you want to be there 15 mins before opening time. Once you're up, it's generally not too bad.

Go all day, have an elevenses break, ski through lunch, and have your lunch at 2 - 2.30 ish. By the time you've finished lunch, a lot of people have left.

If the runs to the valley are shut, have a drink at the top & enjoy the sunset rather than join the download queue

Avoid Le Tour if possible as it gets very busy with families - go for the Vallorcine side if you want to be that end of the valley - ditto for Les Houches though it's not quite as bad since they have better lifts.

The top lift at Grands Montets is a very good place to be if you're up to it - book your uplifts online or first thing.

If you're up to the Vallee Blanche it's a good time to do it, especially mid-week. Also quite a good time to go do some off-piste with a guide. Or book a tour with http://www.skifuntours.com/ - never tried this but they have a good reputation and can jump the queues.

Courmayeur is always nice if you get a bad weather day but it will be very busy as well.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
added after seeing the above posts - now is the perfect time to improve to blacks! Wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
firebug, Thanks, sounds like good advice. Will check out the blacks before I take the plunge! Shocked
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Drluvski, We were in Chamonix over the Feb half term in 2009 and as firebug says it wasn't so bad. 2009 was noticably quieter than the last few years IMO and I think 2010 will be quieter still. Chamonix is no family mecca so I reckon you're as well there as anywhere if Feb's the time you've got to go.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
midgetbiker, Thats exactly what I needed to hear. Hope you are right and that it will be relatively quiet for Feb. 2 of us are teachers, so limited to school holidays.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy