Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best place in London for getting fitted for Ski boots?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm doing the season in 3V this winter, and although all I've done in the past is snowboarding - i'd like to try skiing.

I'd like to get my own boots, but I'll probably hire skis until I get more experience. If I can get a good pair of last years boots in the sale, then that would be excellent. For some reason if it's got a discount I can get it past my conscience a lot easier!

Soooo - does anyone have any recommendations on the best places in London to get fitted? Preferably someone that would have good stocks of last years kit...

What about places to avoid? Are the high-street chains (ellis brigham, snow and rock, etc.) any good at fitting?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You're probably better off finding somewhere in resort - more choice, more competition - and they're close at hand if you need some tweaking.

I'd suggest Freeride in Meribel:

http://www.freeride.fr/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Won't they be more expensive than in the UK?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In resort probably more Euro though you might get a seasonnaire's discount. In UK cheap sale and good bootfitting tend not to be words found together - you generally get one or the other. FWIW I saw edge to edge had some of their ex hire boots for sale but they're out at Gatwick.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chamonix ... and cheaper in the long run too Embarassed
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
d.brophy, With a clear conscience borrow someone's boots who isn't using them at the time Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
d.brophy, your best place "in London" is actually a train ride away in Bicester - by visiting CEM at Solutions 4 Feet.

As fatbob says, "good" and "cheap" unfortunately don't work very well together. And, whilst not more expensive than anyone else, CEM does things properly and that usually isn't what most people would regard as cheap.

Both Ellis Brigham and Snow & Rock can be hit and miss - you might get a person who knows about boot fitting and, there again, you might not.

Profeet are an option. But again they're not cheap and reviews are mixed.

If you take the attitude that cheap and cheerful will do then a trip to Decathlon might be worth a go - it's 5 minutes walk from Canada Water tube station (on the Jubilee Line).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Freeride have a good rep - people mark them out as being one of the best, if not the best fitter in the 3v. Only sale stuff on their website, though so it isn't clear what you will pay come Dec. I would guess something in the 300 Euro range, plus footbeds.

Profeet are not offering anything that CEM doesn't. I have had good experiences with them but they are not cheap. Were I to buy in the UK again and not off the internet then I would be going to see him.

Regarding the cheap route - I saved 200 quid this year buying sale boots online (2 pairs). This is a respectable saving but I will still have to get footbeds for one of them, get someone to cook the liner on one pair (others are getting my foam liner) and get a pair of punches done. Probably 100 quids worth of work or thereabouts. Point is that even by being an utter cheapskate you are unlikely to save that much on something that is critical to your skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
d.brophy, if you have bog standard feet you might well find you get a "good enough" fit out of the box - quite a lot of people do. If you're a beginner skier, and just wanting to give it a go, then having the best possible fit is not absolutely essential. I realise this is Snowheads heresy, and I have boots beautifully fitted by CEM myself, but I have horrible feet and I ski a lot. Plenty of people manage fine for their first weeks skiing by using hired boots, after all. But it would be sensible to try somewhere with someone to advise you - or you will probably end up with boots too big for you. If they aren't a really snug fit to start with they'll soon be slopping about. Try them with the thinnest socks you can get hold of, too.

Alternatively you could hire boots in resort to start with - after all, you might hate skiing. wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
d.brophy, I largely agree with pam w that you don't need (and probably won't appreciate) the completely dialled in fit that you'd get from a really well fitted set of ski boots. You also probably won't want the inconvenience that comes with really dialled in boots as it's seldom a single shot process.

I have the reverse problem to you - I'm looking to buy some snowboard boots this season. In my mind, if I can buy something at the cost of a couple of weeks rental that fit me better than rentals then I'll be ahead.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
FlyingStantoni wrote:
I'm looking to buy some snowboard boots this season.

Have you retired from Alpine? Wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar wrote:
Have you retired from Alpine? Wink

I've learnt everything there is to learn in skiing* my friend and, as I've become such a skiing god, I thought I'd show the boarder dudes how it's done!

* This may not be entirely accurate. Alternatively, a friend has left his snowboard semi-permanently at our apartment and I thought it would be a good craic to have a go at Christmas when thing are a bit too manic on the slopes for my delicate disposition!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FlyingStantoni, Laughing Best of luck. In my little foray in to the darkside I rather enjoyed it.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I need to hit S&R, work out which boots fit and order some from the BASI offer.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have nothing but good things to say about my Profeet fitted boots. Have wide feet with a high arch, narrow ankles and big calves Shocked and they got me in a pair 0.5 DIN smaller than I'd previously been skiing for 15 years and I've never been more comfortable. Not cheap, but well worth it for close-fitting, stiff boots that don't leave you in agony and undoing your clips on every lift!
latest report
I've used Profeet in the past, and I've used CEM too at Solutions4feet.
Both are good, but CEM would be my first choice (just).
snow conditions
oz5000, 0.5 DIN smaller?

It seems that every time I now buy boots they get smaller and smaller. My first boots were 28.5 and my current alpine boots are 26.5. My telemark boots are 26.0.

That's nothing, when I was a lad that chopped our toes off and... Toofy Grin
latest report
FlyingStantoni, Sorry, Mondo of course. Was a long weekend... Yeah, I'm a UK 8 but I went from 27 to 26.5. Think it's probably the footbed stopping my feet from splaying out as much rather than my becoming the incredible shrinking footed man.
ski holidays
If you're going on holiday it's always best to buy in the UK as if you do the sensible thing and purchase well in advance of you're holidays and bed them in at home (and not on your holiday, where you may experience discomfort) you can get any necessary adjustments made because you have a point of reference. You can cut corners and maybe find a cheaper pair abroad but you'll generally get upsized as a new liner will hold your foot for a week or so before you leave for home after which on subsequent holidays it'll turn into a bucket; then where do you go, as you can't shrink hugely oversized boots! However, if you're gonna live overthere either visit a true expert in the UK such as Julian Thorpe at EB (built like a haystack but a good egg!) or Colin Martin (don't know the guy but wrote a column in Fall Line with Jules on new kit and is well respected). Visiting these guys results in less chance of numerous refits, although even the best will have their work cut out on occasions with problem feet, but buy now and you'll have enough time to sort out the most horrible plates of meat!), or buy with confidence in France as you'll be able to pester the poo-poo out of the shop you bought your boots from for a full five months (not a week!!!) if they don't fit right as you'll have the all important point of reference.
ski holidays
millsy13, Colin Martin is CEM... mentioned a few times above already.
snow report
If you really want to stay in London, profeet are very good and were excellent at sorting out the OH's horrible feet. I got mine from Ellis Brigham and they're fine - I even went to profeet some years later wanting to buy a new pair and they said mine were fine although the footbeds had collapsed so they just did new ones.
snow conditions
Boredsurfing wrote:
d.brophy, With a clear conscience borrow someone's boots who isn't using them at the time Toofy Grin

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy