Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets mandatory for the Most part at Tremblant this 09/10 ski season

Poster: A snowHead
I'm sure you all remember the Natasha Richardson accident. Well Tremblant/Intrawest Resorts is recommending that all skiing or snowboardings wear a helmet. I most certainly do.

Now helmets will be mandatory for ALL CHILDREN whether they are in a lesson or not, and people participating in ski school lesson programs.

Helmets are mandatory for all terrain parks. Your pass will be pulled immediately if you are caught using the terrain park with no helmet on......................

Tremblant is the second closest major destination ski resort to a trauma center in North America and it is only 96 minutes away going the speed limit with outstanding care. FYI

Rules by Intrawest regarding helmets
http://media.integratir.com/idr/PressReleases/Helmet%20Use_Final.pdf
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I wonder how many snowheads went to Tremblant last season...probably less than you find at Hemel on an average saturday for sure..
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bertie bassett wrote:
I wonder how many snowheads went to Tremblant last season...probably less than you find at Hemel on an average saturday for sure..

actually more than you realize. Just putting the info out.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
JB007 wrote:
Now helmets will be mandatory for...people participating in ski school lesson programs.

...Your pass will be pulled immediately if you are caught using the terrain park with no helmet on......................

I'm not sure where you get that because that's not what it says in the press release.
Quote:
Intrawest will require employees to wear a helmet at all times while skiing or snowboarding on-duty in any freestyle terrain park at its resorts. Staff at Intrawest’s Ski and Snowboard Schools will also be required to wear a helmet if they serve as a guide or an instructor for any program that requires mandatory helmet use by a resort guest. Several Intrawest resorts will begin to implement these new employee helmet use guidelines this winter and the remaining resorts will be fully compliant by the beginning of the 2010-2011 winter season.

Personally, I think that's pretty lame in terms of both requirement and timing. Taking the issue seriously would be:

"With immediate effect all Intrawest employees engaging in on-snow activities are required to wear a helmet."

IMV the press release is trying to show more action than is really the case.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JB007, really? I can't see that many snowheads bothering to fly over the atlantic to an east coast resort. Anyway the Natasha Richardson case was a freak case and they should not be made compulsory, but from the actual quote it doesn't look like they are anyway
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
JB007, thanks for the info.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
FlyingStantoni wrote:
JB007 wrote:
Now helmets will be mandatory for...people participating in ski school lesson programs.

...Your pass will be pulled immediately if you are caught using the terrain park with no helmet on......................

I'm not sure where you get that because that's not what it says in the press release.
Quote:
Intrawest will require employees to wear a helmet at all times while skiing or snowboarding on-duty in any freestyle terrain park at its resorts. Staff at Intrawest’s Ski and Snowboard Schools will also be required to wear a helmet if they serve as a guide or an instructor for any program that requires mandatory helmet use by a resort guest. Several Intrawest resorts will begin to implement these new employee helmet use guidelines this winter and the remaining resorts will be fully compliant by the beginning of the 2010-2011 winter season.

Personally, I think that's pretty lame in terms of both requirement and timing. Taking the issue seriously would be:

"With immediate effect all Intrawest employees engaging in on-snow activities are required to wear a helmet."

IMV the press release is trying to show more action than is really the case.

Well just don't get caught trying to us the Terrain park without a helmet. They will pull your pass. I 've seen them do it. And yes if you take a lesson you must wear a helmet. Children must wear a helmet. I really don't know why you are going nuts over something that saves lives.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JB007, No-one's going nuts - they are just pointing out the inherent lameness of Intrawest's policy/press release.

If they are serious about anything more than a marketing soundbite why not make them compulsory for all on snow employees immediately? Maybe that would give them a liability/cashflow issue in that they'd be obliged to pay for helmets for all existing employees? Maybe ask that they sack up to the IOC and make all Olympic volunteers wear helmets?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What are they classifying as Children here?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
JB007 wrote:
..... I really don't know why you are going nuts over something that saves lives.

rolling eyes here we go again. OK. I'll bite - hopefully I won't be tempted to do so too many times again this coming season.

Firstly I am always amused at the concept that anything saves lives. You're all going to die, folk. So nothing will 'save lives' - but I guess that JB007 meant that skiing helmets postpone death.

Well, do they?

Quote:
Its a sobering fact that more than half of the people involved in fatal accidents last season at ski areas in the USA were wearing helmets at the time of the incident (Source - NSAA). As Shealy states "[Even though the prevalence of helmet utilization is rising by 4 to 5 percent per year in the U.S., there has been no statistically significant observable effect on the incident of fatality."

Also, have a look at data on head injuries

Quote:
we can extrapolate and say that for every 10,000 people on the slopes on any particular day, no more than three people will sustain a head injury requiring medical attention. Fortunately, out of all these people with head injuries, the majority (90%) of the injuries are minor - i.e. cuts, abrasions, and minor bumps. That leaves the remaining 10% having what's known in the business as a Potentially Serious Head Injury - hereafter known as a PSHI. This class of injury includes all episodes of loss of unconsciousness, (suspected) skull fractures, bleeds in and around the brain as well as major open head wounds (including penetrating injuries). All in all rather nasty stuff.......

...........To quote Shealy et al again - a team of highly respected ski injury researchers - "On the basis of results to date, there is no clear evidence that helmets have been shown to be an effective means of reducing fatalities in alpine sports"

So to sum up: The chance of having a traumatic head injury is very low. Increasing use of helmets does not show a decrease in fatalities - a fact you'd expect from research conclusions. Of course, a helmet may save you from nasty abrasions and cuts. But 'saves lives'? Prove it.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JB007, I am very very pro-helmet. I am glad to see more and more areas insisting that children wear lids. I have worn one for every minute I have skied (outside snow-domes) for the last 7 or 8 years.

Achilles also has often worn a lid btw. But he does have a very good point.

What we do know from the evidence is that lids do lessen the severity of head injury. This for me is enough of a reason to wear one. The jury is however out on whether they save lives. At least in part this is due to the fact that fatal head injuries are very very rare - so a proper study has to be enormous and very complicated in order show a reduction in fatalities which is not dependent on confounding variables (if you have a scientific research background you will understand this without me having to say more). This does not mean they do not save lives - but could mean one of
1) that a sufficiently powered prospective or case-control study has not been done yet.
2) the characteristics of an accident which lead to death cannot be mitigated by current designs.
3) adaptive behaviour on the part of helmet users compensates for the safety advantage. (this has been shown in one study not to be the case for non-fatal head injury rates - where there is an overall risk reduction).

So I think you need to get your facts a bit straighter before having a pop at other posters.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JB007 wrote:
I really don't know why you are going nuts over something that saves lives.

I'm not going nuts.

I've worn a helmet for years. Way before it was fashionable or cool. Or, frankly, acceptable.

fatbob gets my point exactly - I see no reason why they should wait a year to insist that all of their on snow staff should set the good example of wearing a helmet. It would be simple enough to implement for this coming season.
JB007 wrote:

The press release doesn't say that.

It says:
Quote:
...mandatory helmet requirements for all children and youth 1 participants in Ski and Snowboard School Programs as well as all students participating in freestyle terrain park programs

Personally, I care about accuracy.

If there's a sign on the entrance to the terrain park that says you must wear a helmet or your pass will be pulled then say that. Again, the press release doesn't say that.

In truth it's body armour and back protectors they should be insisting on in the terrain park.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
OK. I understand why some people don't want helmets. But as I put later in this post insurance companies will make it mandatory eventually, and parks services will make it mandatory in order for the resort to operate. So we might as well get used to it.

Yes there will be signs at the entrance to the terrain parks. Yes there will be a sign at the ski school desk that everyone taking a lesson must wear a helmet. Yes staff must wear a helmet while doing on slope activities.

With the advent of new skis, crowded slopes, the chances of head injuries has increased in our sport. I know of 2 incidents where the person died on the day that they didn't want to wear a helmet because it was nice outside last year alone. Last spring in Whistler I went over a blind 20' with sid and landed on my head. I got a concussion, but if it were not for my helmet (cracked) I would be dead.

Last winter I witnessed a snowboarder lose an edge and go into a tree. Her helmet shattered and all she got was stitches and a concussion. Also you have to realize for insurance reason's resorts will eventually make it mandatory that helmets must be worn to ski/ride at any resort in the future.

And yes I wear body armor too. I want to enjoy my sport, so I protect myself.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JB007 wrote:
.......But as I put later in this post insurance companies will make it mandatory eventually......

Insurance companies are fairly ruthlessly evidence-based in assessing risk and therefore requirements; there is no evidence. Once again, you are substituting fact with un-substantiated opinion.

I know folks. Don't feed the troll. I will try to stop. Embarassed
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JB007 wrote:
OK. I understand why some people don't want helmets. But as I put later in this post insurance companies will make it mandatory eventually, and parks services will make it mandatory in order for the resort to operate.

Really

I'm not convinced that Adults in France will ever be compelled to wear helmets to use the ski-slopes.
latest report
achilles, Sorry that I seem to be feeding, but what is the evidence that contradicts JB007, 's opinion!

I have an ear bashing from MrsRH, she is a helmet wearer and I dont! Mind you she is a much better skier than me as FlyingStantoni, can attest! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

She says only bad skiers in Norway dont wear a helmet, she is right apparently only bad skiers dont wear helmets in Ireland as well wink
snow conditions
Roy Hockley,
Quote:

what is the evidence that contradicts JB007, 's opinion
My impression is, rather, that there exists no evidence of his opinion.
snow report
Roy Hockley, see my post and links above, here. Personally, I do think helmets have some benefits, and it is up to the skiers themselves to determine whether they are worth wearing. For example, they can save very unpleasant cuts - and for that reason I tend to wear one if I am skiing where there are rocky outcrops, or through trees. Others may be worried about being clouted by the edges of skis and boards of falling fellow piste users. I am not against helmets; I own two myself. I am against evangelical preaching that helmets 'save lives' when their is no evidence that they do, or when they are imposed by authorities as a result of tabloid reaction to a celebrity's death.
snow report
Roy Hockley and achilles, my problem is solely that JB007 is misrepresenting the current position at these resorts.

Roy Hockley, yes, Mrs Roy Hockley is indeed a very, very nice skier who puts you to shame Toofy Grin

I'll agree with anyone who says that helmets / body armour are a generally good thing. I also agree that there's an increasing uptake of use in Europe; that in most race clubs in France the use of helmets and body armour is already mandatory and that, IMV, within 5 or so years we'll see helmets becoming mandatory in France for all children's lessons.
latest report
FlyingStantoni, Thanks friend!!! You did not have to be soooo emphatic!! Embarassed
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy