Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courchevel in April

Poster: A snowHead
Heading off for a family week from April 3 and staying at 1550 with Esprit.

I did my research at the time of booking, but would like Snowheads humble opinions as to the likelihood of snow, crowds, me going broke, and Courchevel in general.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Courchevel is one of the best resorts in the Alps. OK, 1850 has been taken over by the Russian Mafia, but it's always been the expensive part of the domain. The sking in late season is often superb, I was there in late April once and it snowed for 2 1/2 days. April is never usually that crowded, you're missing the French school holidays, so it should be terrific.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Peter Leuzzi, We did La Tania in very late March a couple of years ago....the snow was shabby low down but still great high up and all the links across the 3V's were still open so access to the white stuff at Val T was easy. You should be o.k.

As to the chances of going broke....very high! We paid 20 euros (yes 20!) for a half pichet of wine at lunchtime a couple of weeks ago. Our mistake, we didn't ask the price first!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Briefly:

snow - no problem.

Crowds - ditto.

Broke - likely, but not inevitable, esp at lower resorts.

Courchevel in general - fantastic resort for intermediates.

snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's all very promising. Some further questions if I may.

Where is La Tania in relation to 1550, 1650 and 1850?

What other resorts can be skiied from there within reason?

homphomp - be grateful you only ordered the half! I have heard 1850 is mega expensive, but is it like that throughout?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
1550 is the cheapest of the three main areas. The Bar (owned by Pleisure holidays but for anyone to drink in) has the cheapest prices for beer and you can get sweet flavoured vodka shots for two euros a pop or 12 for 10 euros. It is however a pretty small place and so can get pretty crowded at times.
1850 is by far the most expensive but you shouldn't need to eat there so it won't be a problem. If you go out there on the lash the slide back down the red run to 1550 in the early hours is a great laugh! Very Happy (buses run until around midnight)

Resorts you can get to all of the Courchevel bits - 1850, 1650, 1300 - 1650 is the hardest to find your way to on piste. The other main resorts of the 3v's Meribel and Val Thorens plus La Tania.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Brilliant stuff. Thank you all.

Now give me the bad stuff - what's going to p%^&* us off?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
One lift to 1850 and from there you can get anywhere in the 3V by lunchtime (probably, bit of a way to Val T far side from there.)

La Tania is up to the top and down again, but well worth it as a ski.

We are medium intermediates (upper beginners?) and we get all round the 3V without too many problems. Val T for lunch and back would be a feasible day's skiing. Meribel easy, but will be slush at that level by April.

There are cheaper places, but moutain restaurants are dear and rare.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chris Bish,

So take lunch with us?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Up to you. Ever at a really suave place like Cap Horn or the Bergeries at 1850 you can get a meal for €15 or so. We were well received there. If you would like it I'll send you via PM a copy of my "ski-log" from last year which was written for members of the group to take home with the photos. You might find it interesting. Let me know.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chris Bish

Please do.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hey that was quick! I'm off to the same place on Sunday with the same people plus 2 more, so you can see we like it.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Even quicker this time!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm a little slower this time, but I've PM ed my ramblings. MacDaddy used them back in Jan. He might have more recent info, though was mostly on the Belleville side.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Peter Leuzzi, There is a picnic area at the bottom station of the Saulire gondola, just to the right as you get to the top of the Verdons lift. Good if you've brought a baguette along with you, there is also a supermarket in 1850 right at the foot of the slopes which i think is closed right at lunch time but with a sandwich shop next door which is very reasonable. It is inside so rather souless but CHEAP. Skiing wise I'd head from 1550 up to 1850 on the old 'egg' cable car then up Verdons and up the Saulire gondola (very fast and Combe de Saulire red run down is great). From there you can ski into Meribel/Mottaret or back into Courchevel. Cheap(er!) mountain restaurants in Val T or Les Menuires are easy enough to get to by taking the 3 stage gondola up from Mottaret (can't remember what it's called!). It is surprisingly easy to get from Courchevel to Val T if you are all of a reasonable standard. If you ski into Les Menuires I think that Mont de la Chambre offers some of the best skiing in the 3Vs. Do the Cime de Caron red run in Val T too, great views from the top!

Have a great time! snowHead
latest report
I mean the long (and often deserted) runs down from the top of Plattieres (the 3 stage lift from Mottaret which i couldn't rember in my last post!) in Les Menuires and then up La Masse on the other side of Les Menuires. I'm always getting those 2 mixed up. Anyway you won't go far wrong for some great skiing there!!!!
snow conditions
Yes, and I like the restaurant at the top of La Masse too.
latest report
Thank you all. Now a couple more questions.

Does anyone know what extra-ski activities are available? Bars, restaurants, cafes, crack dens, lap dancing etc don't count in this regard - its more about the kids 2 and 5. Stuff like swimming pool, ten pin bowling, ice skating etc

To reiiterate we are staying at 1550, and assuming there are things they will want to do at the other Courchevel resorts, how difficult is it to access by bus? In general is the bus system pretty reliable....or is it like London!

Thanks again.
ski holidays
Chris Bish, are your "ramblings" suitable for public snowHead consumption?
snow report
Pete, they go on a bit. It's mostly gossipy stuff about what we have done in the day. I'll PM you a bit of the Les Arcs log and you'll get the idea.
latest report
the buses run very frequently and reliably, so it's pretty easy to get around from one resort to another ... extra mural activities: skating rink in the fourm shopping centre at 1850, for swimming try going along to the Crystal chalet hotel new solarium (jardin alpin bubble, G2 stop - you can see the hotel out of the lift just before you get out), offer reception a few euros and you should be in. the public swimming pool is at the Combe between 1550 and 1650 but is half in- half outdoors so is closed in the winter. Best of all is the squirrel run in the Forum shopping centre - there's a little climbing wall and a fantastic sort of aerial assault course and tarzan swing, all run by the Bureau des Guides so open in the evenings after they've stopped guiding. We have to save it for a treat or the small people would bankrupt us pretty fast ... I think there's a bowling alley in there too, combined with a pretty low-life looking (yes, even in 1850) slot machine arcade. and there are often events happening in the early evening on the snow - firework displays, freestyle competitions, europop discos ... you'll see posters all over the place if anything is happening that week. come to think of it, we'll be in 1650, adn it's Easter, so there should be something good happening. Oh, and congratulations on choosing the best ski resort in the world IMHO ... Very Happy
snow report
poma,
Quote:

congratulations on choosing the best ski resort in the world IMHO

Don't get much better than that. Looking forward to it and thanks for the kiddie info. Come to think of it, if you are there same time perhaps you'd like to take my children to see these attractions first hand!!!
ski holidays
um ... tempting offer but I've just realised 3rd April is the day we leave (really). I forgot to mention the luge run - from 1850 down to 1550 so you just take the bubble up, sledge down, repeat ... truly terrifying and not to be contemplated without helmets and children firmly under adult control Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Chris Bish, i'm taking a group to Les Arcs - any ramblings you have on the place would be much appreciated, if you wouldn't mind PM them to me
many thanks in advance
latest report
Chris Bish, thks for that
ski holidays
Really must go home now and pack my new snowheads T-shirt. snowHead
latest report
Hey guys need help on this one. We are going to Les Arcs from March 14 to 19th. We are driving
from Lyon. I have got another friend who could not get a cheap flight into Lyon (flying from Toronto),
she can only get one into Paris or London. What is the best way to get to BSM from either of those
cities. I understand there is a train that goes straight to BSM. What is the timing and cost? Website?
Also, how easy will it be for her to get up to Arc 1950 from BSM? Thanks.
latest report
sawni, go to www.raileurope.co.uk or www.raileurope.com from the US. Trains direct from London to BSM or via overnight sleeper from Paris. Paris is probably the easiest option. Trains leave Gare d'Austerlitz around 10.20 PM arrive in BSM 06.30AM.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy