Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Transfer to & Ski passes for Tignes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Planning an early (ish) trip to Tignes on the 12th December, have the flight and accom sorted, just need the missing link...transfer as it's a DIY holiday.

Flying in to Geneva on the saturday, initial research has led me to Altibus but thats still 100 euros return (near as makes no difference 100 quid) each, which seems a bit premium for a bus ride?

Also, any tips on where to get the ski pass from at a cheeky rate?!

Thanks in advance!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ros1, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

The question about a transfer was just recently asked, although for the 16th http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=55166
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ros1, how many of you are going? If it's more than one, you might as well look at hiring a car (especially if you're self-catering, as you'll be able to shop more cheaply on the way than in resort).

Don't think you'll be able to find any cheap deals on lift passes - I know there were a few around last year, but that was due to companies buying in bulk at a much better exchange rate, which isn't going to be the case this year.

Sorry I can't be more helpful! But if it's any consolation, I think you've chosen an excellent week to go to Tignes - well, it has been for the past two years at least, & it had better be this year as well, because we'll be there too snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Cathy, Jo225, will look in to hiring a car as there's two of us, although given my ability to get lost on the easiest of routes am slightly concerned about getting there under my own steam - the hire companies provide you with Sat Nav's?

Have read great things about Tignes, cannot wait to get over there, here's hoping we get another good years snowfall snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ros1 wrote:
the hire companies provide you with Sat Nav's?

Not sure, tbh - we've taken our own... But it's not a difficult route.

There's a useful discount code here
http://www.holidayautos.co.uk/cgi-bin/liveweb.sh/QSearch.w?ctryref=GBR&lang=EN&aff=xOneAccount
if you do decide to hire Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ros1, it's a very straightforward drive from Geneva to Tignes, especially with the new section of autoroute, which shortens the journey by about 25 minutes. The only drawback is that car hire for this winter seems to have leapt up in price.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ros1 wrote:
Thanks Cathy, Jo225, will look in to hiring a car as there's two of us, although given my ability to get lost on the easiest of routes am slightly concerned about getting there under my own steam - the hire companies provide you with Sat Nav's?

Super easy drive. Basically as you head out of the airport follow signs for france, then there are a couple of different routes but easiest to Navigate to is Chambery via the autoroute, then ALbertville, Moutiers and then Bourg St. Maurice, go through bourg (stopping at super U nr the Mc. Donalds roundabout for provisions) and another 30-35 minutes up the hill to Tignes. When weighing up the costs between transfers and self-drive add in the costs of chain hire and paying to park in Tignes if your accommodation doesn't provide it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bertie bassett wrote:
ros1 wrote:

Super easy drive. Basically as you head out of the airport follow signs for france, then there are a couple of different routes but easiest to Navigate to is Chambery via the autoroute, then ALbertville, Moutiers and then Bourg St. Maurice, go through bourg (stopping at super U nr the Mc. Donalds roundabout for provisions) and another 30-35 minutes up the hill to Tignes. When weighing up the costs between transfers and self-drive add in the costs of chain hire and paying to park in Tignes if your accommodation doesn't provide it.

Or use the free car parks in Tignes les Boisses.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi Ros1 - You will love tignes, one of my favourite runs in the alps is the Double M from the top of the funicular to Tignes Val Claret or you can start at the top of the grande Motte and ski almost 1500m vertical and pick up the Double M on the way down. Also the piste will be deserted.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cool, thanks to everyone for their advice, will definitely look in to driving as it all adds to the adventure of these things, plus the tight fisted git inside of me thinks the idea of stocking up on food outside of Tignes sounds like a very good idea!

Roll on December!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Some of the tour operators will have started by then, so if you get to where they are this year (It changed last year so I don't want to tell you the rong terminal but they are practically adjacent anyway.) you can usually haggle a lift for much less. Ski Olympic were doing it for €40 per person last year although I would imagine MW or TUI will be better represented in GVA
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Driving to Tignes is a great option, especially if there are a few of you.

It gives you flexibility and as already mentioned you can make a huge saving if you stock up on supplies down the mountain. Sadly the supermarkets aren't that cheap in resort.

Regarding the passes - It's always worth contacting the STGM office as there are sometimes offers available from them for previous clients and families.
On top of this STGM have changed their approach slightly this year and it's now possible to get small discounts on passes at certain times of the season from other companies.
In the past big Tour Operators have always benefited from cheaper ski passes due to the number of their sales, whether they pass these discounts onto the client depends on the company in question.

Until now the smaller companies in Tignes have been ignored by the lift pass office. However there are now a few independent companies working in Tignes that can offer you deals on ski passes of up to 20% off a weekly pass depending on the week in question.
The legal catch - you have to be an existing client of theirs. In other words, you have to have rented accommodation with them, or booked a transfer or rented equipment from them. The discounts are set by STGM and vary throughout the winter on a weekly basis.

Unsurprisingly during the busy weeks they don't offer any discounts. December 12th is obviously not one of these weeks. Although in general it's not much of a saving I guess every little bit helps.

If the snow this December is anything like last December you'll have a great time! Have a good trip!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Do the hire companies provide you with Sat Nav's?

I'm a confirmed road map/atlas man myself - but have seen that the major companies have sat nav available. All at premium cost of course.

On a cautionary note, beware the horror tales of seven hour alpine detours when the sat nav tries to send you via a pass that's closed in winter Toofy Grin

Seriously though, as other snowHead have said, the drive to Tignes is straight forward - down to about two and a quarter hours on a good run since the new bit of road opened.

Quote:

Or use the free car parks in Tignes les Boisses

Or Tignes les Brevieres (if the skiing is open down to there).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy