Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpe d'uez

Poster: A snowHead
I have just booked a week over the New Year week. I know it will be busy but what is the sking and apres like?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thank you for raising this important query which has never been discussed on here before
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skiing is like a cluster**** of British punters "just doing a run down to the poo-train" with glimpses of rad dudes like Arno ducking under ropes and climbing over ridges, or possibly sitting around and scoffing pizza.

There is no apres - drinking of alcohol is forbidden in the resort after 3pm under an agreement with the local monastery who still hold the freehold.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 2-10-09 14:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ianwatkins, welcome to snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ianwatkins, as Arno says there's loads of info on ADH if you search this forum. Highly compressed version: many south-facing slopes, many easy slopes in the main bowl above the resort (which is the busiest) but quite a lot of blacks overall, explore Auris, Vaujany etc (all lift-linked) for more variety...as for apres-ski, it's not at Austrian levels but not quiet either: there are quite a few lively bars, plus of course restaurants.

I'll be there myself for the New Year week so it can't be all bad!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There is ALOT of ADH discussion on here isn't there? I've spent loads of time here in the last half a dozen years and whilst it obviously isn't in the VDI / Tignes, St Anton, Zermatt league it isn't a bad alternative as regards terrain for ALL levels. The rule of the mountain is simple, the higher you go the tougher it gets; the bowl serves an abundance of green runs, a little higher opens up long reds and blues down to OZ, Montfrais, and Vaujany (including a nice and shady black La Fare), higher still gives you the Combe Charboniere, Cloche de Macle, Tunnel and Les Balcon. The glacier is small but offers good snow and is the start of the Sarenne, which is good for skiers less so for boarders as the run out is nearly flat. Elsewhere, Auris, Villard and in good snow years / mid-season Huez are all reachable if you desire a sense of travel. Off-piste wise there's a guides office near the DMC with great itineries from pic blanc / la pyramide down toward montfrais/vaujany to name only a few. Drinking wise, underground is always busy with live music Tuesdays and Thursdays, further down the hill and opposite what was Richard sports (now a building site) is the o-bar where vito and vicki will look after you (great tapas, don't slag Tottenham off! lol). If you've the energy the Igloo stays open v. late and next door the guys at La Spaghette will knock you a kebab together to soak up the booze so you don't end up feeling too lousy in the morning! If you're after top knosh Aux P'it Creux is the best eaterie in town, Le Genepie (also in Veil Alpe) is an option whilst Le Sporting (expensive but nice steaks) and Fleur D' L'Alpe, also on Avenue Des Jeux, is a personal favourite. All in all it's a decent station, there are alot worse!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ADH to me is a big French resort, same size as Serre Chevalier with 250km piste or bigger than Tignes if Val D is excluded, with everything. It is a nice one that excites the intermediates wanting to become the experts. It hosts the longest black run in the Alps and its "Tunnel" black is also another one not to be sneezed at. Plenty of nice blue and red runs all over the place though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
saikee wrote:
... its "Tunnel" black is also another one not to be sneezed at. ....

It's my benchmark of a tough black. Try and pick a time when there are not to many others on it (but also consider the conditions) there is the thought that you could be taken out by someone falling from above you.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=54737&highlight=

a recent one started here ianwatkins, .
welcome to snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
achilles,
You might have added "things" falling from above you as well. Twice now I have been on the tunnel when a lone ski has come flying down, the so called "brakes" seem to have a limit governed by the steepness of the slope/hardness of the snow, and once a snowboard with no rider that was travelling at some crazy speed before it landed in a rock outcrop.
Why you would want to take both bindings off a board on that slope I do not know. To be honest as I am generally skiing with my young children it was a wake up call to keep a better eye on the slope behind.
Anyway Alpe d'Huez is a great resort, especially for mixed groups because it is so easy for you all to ski separately, but still meet more than once in a day without compromising ski time.
But then I do have a vested interest.....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arno wrote:
thank you for raising this important query which has never been discussed on here before

I feel this kind of comment unneccessary, if you cant be bothered to offer current help or advice at least point in the right
right direction of the forum.

how do you think we get new snowheads if they dont come along and ask things that have been asked before. Sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Renry,

I believe it is a joke intended to have a bit of fun with the newcomer. Can be looked upon a novel way to make someone feel welcome. fatbob did it too. I think they are quite funny myself.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Renry, it depends what you want the board to look like. I'm not sure constantly running over old ground is good for the life of an online community. Furthermore, advice given dozens of times over will likely be less full and helpful the last time than the first. Doesn't mean that the answer to every question has to be "SEARCH FUNCTION JONG" but a little gentle nudging towards the top left of the screen is no bad thing either.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...done squabbling yet? Ian Watkins asked a question; some thought to answer it, others to berate him for either not checking for earlier posts or seemingly not knowing what ADH is like in the first instance. If you're not helping the guy then you're hindering him and whats the point in that? Hopefully Ian will be able to return the favour to all you helpful souls later, yawn ....sleep...Zzzzzzzzzz wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for all the info everyone
latest report
millsy13 wrote:
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...done squabbling yet? Ian Watkins asked a question; some thought to answer it, others to berate him for either not checking for earlier posts or seemingly not knowing what ADH is like in the first instance. If you're not helping the guy then you're hindering him and whats the point in that?....

Perhaps slowly to get this forum into half decent shape, so that good information is kept together, rather than scattered far and wide?
ski holidays
Forum Search isn't that obvious - I had to have it pointed out to me when I first came on here.

By the way, ianwatkins, was leaving off the H in the title deliberate? If not you can click on the scissors by your first post and edit it.
snow report
saikee wrote:
Renry,

I believe it is a joke intended to have a bit of fun with the newcomer. Can be looked upon a novel way to make someone feel welcome. fatbob did it too. I think they are quite funny myself.

Fair point, sorry we are off topic again.
snow conditions
Depends on ability but I really enjoy ADH, some really great long runs, there are four ways down from top to bottom that mean loads of skiing, without getting a lift (obviously there are more than 4 ways down, but these specific routes are great as you can just keep skiing without stopping if you want) There is also my 2nd fave black (after leFace in Vd'I) La Fare.

The best route down - if you don't fancy le Tunnel from right at the top is go in the 2eme Troncon, and take red Les Rousses, small bit of Blue Les Chalets (time to rest) and Then Le Fare all the way down. I did this a few times without actually stopping!! Very Happy

Othwise I love the Vaujany and Auris areas to get out teh way of people!! Smile
latest report
Crunchiepink13, "Othwise I love the Vaujany and Auris areas to get out teh way of people!!"

I willl second that, unless the weather is really, really bad it is so easy to get away from the busy central area, but I gues it depends what you want....
ski holidays
Looking for a nice, traditional restaurant for an evening meal, or perhaps a relaxing lunch in charming, characterful surroundings.

Firstly, does anyone know of these places first hand?

Quote:
Au Dahu is a cosy, bustling restaurant where cheery owner Rodolphe serves up tasty local dishes such as tartiflette as well as great seafood. Round off your meal with homemade Génépi, a traditional alpine digestif

Quote:
One of ADH’s best restaurants, the P’tit Creux seves gourmet dishes based on seasonal produce in a traditional setting. Reservations are essential.

Quote:
Located in a rustic old barn, Pomme de Pin serves hearty dishes typical of the region such as tartiflette, fondue and raclette

Quote:
Chalet du Lac Besson. Located on the edge of a frozen lake and only accessible on foot or skis, this cosy traditional mountain hut restaurant serves vast portions of hot cheese in every form imaginable as well as light omelettes and meat stews. Enjoy the views of the lake from the sun terrace or on a stormy day, warm yourself by the large open fire.

Or, second, personal recommendations of other places.

Cheers Smile
snow report
Au Ble Noir, up steps opposite Tourist Office, good food & service at a sensible price and cozy surroundings. On the mountain try Chalet D'Oz on the Olmet (Poutran) on the way to Oz, easy to ski past but worth a stop for lunch and a good home made Genepi!
snow report
Chalet D`Oz excellent. Possibly the most `genuine` of the mountain restaurants. Small, personable and very good food.

Les Airelles towards the bottom of Les Chalet (Montfrais) is under new management and is v good - try and get a table downstairs (downstairs has a roaring fire, low ceilings etc. - upstairs has a distinctly `cafeteria` like feel to it). Be warned - it`s quite expensive.

Passoud (near start of the Alpette run) has a deliberate policy of keeping prices down. Probably 1/3 cheaper than the other mountain restaurant. Food is pretty good - q simple but decent.

Chalet du Lac Besson produces excellent food. Nice setting (albeit not that easy to get to/from). Expensive.

Think you can get a skidoo or something to Besson for the evening. The others mentioned are lunch time places.
ski holidays
For a nice setting for lunch the one near the bottom of the piste at Villard Reculas takes some beating.

Alpe D'Huez Easter 2008
snow report
Thanks chaps snowHead

This time next week...... Cool snowHead snowHead

Any personal views on ski schools? The official site lists four with ESF (naturally, I suppose) being the least expensive.

The SO is an early intermediate looking for technical input mainly to gain confidence - she can actually ski technically quite well, when confidence is there. So I imagine a more psychological approach.

For me, a strong English speaking ( Embarassed ) communicator around fine tuning the more technical aspects - advanced intermediate. Was thinking British Masterclass or Stance.
latest report
La Causerie at Oz is a pleasant lunch option on greybird days. Good simple French grub and not too expensive. Small though!

La Maronne in La Garde also had great value steak and chips in a nice setting. Excellent service too.
snow report
Chasseur wrote:
Thanks chaps snowHead

Me too.

I've asked before on another thread but no harm in asking again here...
Anyone got any views on the hire shops? We're staying near the middle station of the yoghurt pot thingies so a hire shop either near there or at the top or bottom of it would be good. Ideally I'd like to hire some K2 Xplorers (or Recons).

I have emailed a couple of shops (PlanetSurf & OlivierSports) that are shown on the K2 website as dealers without reply.
ski holidays
Higs, I have booked with Olivier SPORT 2000 Les Bergers and expect to get some Dynastar Legends or the new Legend Sultans.

I hired the Legends last year from a sport 2000 shop in Le Lac and they were fantastic. If you cant get the K2's give them
a go im sure you wont be disapointed.

My choice of ski would be the Scott Punisher but I dont think I will get some. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Stance (I had Sebastien) very good. Jolly expensive though.
snow report
jonty, thanks. They were the more expensive of the three. I've never had a bad experience with ESF, so perhaps that's the call.
snow report
Renry wrote:
Higs, I have booked with Olivier SPORT 2000 Les Bergers and expect to get some Dynastar Legends or the new Legend Sultans.

I hired the Legends last year from a sport 2000 shop in Le Lac and they were fantastic. If you cant get the K2's give them
a go im sure you wont be disapointed.

My choice of ski would be the Scott Punisher but I dont think I will get some. Crying or Very sad

I had a pair of Sultan 80s for a week over New Year in Le Grand Bornand. I liked them a lot. I'm interested in trying the K2 for a real comparison (having liked them too in a 20min test in a fridge). If I can't get Recons or Xplorers I'll definitely go for Sultans.
snow report
Chasseur, as an extra piece of info, my son joined the ESI (pricewise, between the ESF and Masterclass / Stance) and after a week of morning classes with Marie-Sophie was a much improved skier (technically, but also with much more confidence).

(Her English is good but not "near-native" level. I don't know much about the other instructors though.)
snow conditions
there used to be an English guy called Ben who worked for ESF - might be worth checking if he is still there
latest report
horizon, Arno, thanks Smile
ski holidays
Arno, Ben Langridge is no longer there he works for The Development Centre in Val D'Isere now.
ski holidays
horizon wrote:
Chasseur, as an extra piece of info, my son joined the ESI (pricewise, between the ESF and Masterclass / Stance) and after a week of morning classes with Marie-Sophie was a much improved skier (technically, but also with much more confidence).

(Her English is good but not "near-native" level. I don't know much about the other instructors though.)

How was the holiday? Snow conditions hold up OK?
latest report
Chasseur wrote:
Thanks chaps snowHead

Any personal views on ski schools? The official site lists four with ESF (naturally, I suppose) being the least expensive.

The SO is an early intermediate looking for technical input mainly to gain confidence - she can actually ski technically quite well, when confidence is there. So I imagine a more psychological approach.

For me, a strong English speaking ( Embarassed ) communicator around fine tuning the more technical aspects - advanced intermediate. Was thinking British Masterclass or Stance.

Chasseur,

I have just come back from ADH and I had lessons with Mel from Masterclass.
Apart from being a superb instructor he is also a superb guy and was very helpful to us.

We had a terrible journey to ADH and no luggage and what he did for us in resort was nothing short of magnificent and proved to myself and my OH that there are still kind people out there who think of others and not just in it for the glory and the money.

I would recommend that you book with Masterclass and you will see the skill and experience first hand from Mel.

Also, his meeting point is by the DMC Bar (back of Hotel Beau Soleil) where they do the best Spag Bol in resort (6.50euros).
ski holidays
In addition to the above, I saw a young girl (4 or 5 years old) fall off the Rief Nel Drag Lift and was sat on the track.
The ESF instructor started screaming at her to get up on his way up and then shout at her to sit on the side of the piste whilst he carried on up the drag lift.

Disgraceful behaviour and the poor girl was crying and terrified.

I cant repeat what I said to the instructor when he came back down.
snow report
It sounds as if the ESF instructor behaved disgracefully & deserved his b*llocking.

However, do not write off ESF on the basis of one limited experience. My 3 kids spent a no of years with ESF instructors from Oz and ADH and they were all excellent.
ski holidays
Recomendations are always a good idea when choosing an instructor!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy