Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stay in Italy or go to France?

Poster: A snowHead
Just got an excellent flight from Glasgow ( Prestwick ) to Turin - £50 return inc snowboard carriage. Laughing
It is with Ryanair though rolling eyes but the same flight last year was OK.
Going out 13th March for a week.
Went to Cervinia last year..not bad..loads of snow but terrible visibilty apart from one sunny morning.
Thinking of Serre Chevalier this year or perhaps Sauze D'Oulx. But would consider any where within a 2 hour transfer from the airport.
There are 3 of us ( adults ), snowboarders, and like a bit of apres ski.

Any advice on accomodation, resort prices, airport transfers, lift pass prices etc etc etc, would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, you guys rule.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
always get the impression that snow conditions can vary by surprising amounts across the areas easily accessible from Turin. i'd leave it for a bit and see where looks to be developing a good base
consider Gressoney if you like off piste and the snow is looking good
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Predictably I will say Serre Che. Not too hideous a transfer. Better than the Milky Way IMO. Lots of villages to choose from - not great for Apres, would suggest Villeneuve as the best for lively - have a look in resort reports or use the search function for more details. Snowangel is one of the resident snowheads, so you could search on her name. She is also a boarder.

Monetier is quietest, Chantemerle the busiest [IMO] and you could always stay in Briancon itself. If you want cheap accommodation there is Auberge de Jeunesse and UCPA in Villeneuve. The lift prices will be on the Serre Che website at some point. . http://www.serre-chevalier.com/-english-

Arno, has a good point - but TBH if the Milky way is getting snow, then would expect Serre Che to as well.
There are also Montgenevre and Puy St Vincent on the French side, but have only day tripped them so cannot comment beyond had a good day out at each.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the advice. I think I am going to go for Serre Chevalier if I can get an apartment rental sorted out. I am reading through some posts here which suggest Villeneuve is the best place for apres-ski. I'm afraid we can't stay in the hostel as one of my fellow travellers is a very loud snorer...I mean ridiculously loud..he would get thrown out for keeping everyone awake. So it's an apartment which has to have a seperate bedroom for the snoring bloke ( and his girlfriend who doesn't seem to be affected by it ), and a sofa bed for me.
I think we might hire a car to travel from Turin. Is it OK to cross the Italian/French border in a hire car? I had to pay extra when going from Spain to France a couple of years back.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Montgenevre is only 15 mins past the Sauze turn off, lots of new lifts there, and good value ski from the door, if that takes your fancy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Agree with Arno, nowt to be lost by waiting and seeing where has the best snow in what is a low season week. Serre Che is a pretty safe bet though.
I have hired from Italy loads of times and driven to France, may very occasionally need chains for Col de Montgenevre but it is not common.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You could easily do a day trip to Montgenevre (the French part of the Milky Way area which includes Sauze) from Serre Chevalier. We did that in reverse a couple of years ago.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arno and T Bar - you make a good point about waiting to see where the best snow is. Obviously I don't want to have to drive past an Italian resort which has better snow conditions than those in France. The only downside I can see with this plan is that there will no doubt be a lot of other folks doing the same thing which might make getting accommodation that wee bit trickier. Or do you think I'm being overly pessimistic. Puzzled
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
elcottero,
If you wanted to go to a very high popular resort with limited accommodation and good snow and there is a rotten snow year meaning that elsewhere has little snow. I would say there is a small chance of it happening. Pre internet it happened to me once. Realisitcally you are far more likely to get decent conditions by booking late for the third week of March particularly in the area that you are looking where accommodation will not be a problem.

Serre Che is more relaible than most, though it suffered a bit about five years ago from memory.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Or do you think I'm being overly pessimistic.

Possibly. It is a big resort, and from memory of skiing in Sauze years ago, Serre Che just never really feels busy or horrid with crowds when you are on the slopes. Depending on the number of folks you could try contacting Tina Isaakson at http://www.hotel-dubez.com/html/hotel_bedrooms.html . They have apartments too - albeit a bit more expensive, but are in Le Bez which is quiet village 5 mins walk up from part of Villeneuve. The hotel is more reasonable. I have waxed lyrical about them in other posts, but the welcome is warm, and if you are in the apts, it is possible to eat in the hotel too. The atmos is homely and if the conditions are good enough you can ski out to the Pontillas lift.
Quote:

Serre Che is more relaible than most, though it suffered a bit about five years ago from memory.

Think it was a bit longer ago than that.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
MarjMJ,
Quote:

Quote:

Think it was a bit longer ago than that.

Think it was 2005 definately 2000 was poor mid March.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
T Bar, Am just remembering the Chritmas we went in about 98 when there really was no snow. Just a white strip at the Olympique, on the Prorel runs and bu88er all else.
Have been so many times that they start to meld into one, and am usually happy if there is any at all, although now you mention it I do remember skiing over haybales at the side of the Cucumelle where it is steep and narrow above Frejus on the first day cause there was no snow, and only telling the rest of the group we could have gone down in the Piste Bully if we had waited...It was horrible.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
MarjMJ, that hotel definitely looks like one for the book of useful addresses
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
One resort within your range that's often overlooked and is La Thuile. About 2 hrs from Turin by car, it has a lot of snow and is surprisingly uncrowded.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
MarjMJ,
Yup just about everywhere can get the occasional bad snow, one of the worst I can remember was Tignes one year when most of the runs to resort were closed. Unlikely now as they have snow making. Serre Che is better than most.

dfl,
La Thuile is great for skiing and was thinking of suggesting it but the OP wants some apres, I don't know how you found it but when I went it was one of the quietest I have been to.
latest report
T Bar wrote:
dfl,
La Thuile is great for skiing and was thinking of suggesting it but the OP wants some apres, I don't know how you found it but when I went it was one of the quietest I have been to.
My apres-ski in La Thuile was fantastic. Apres le ski I had dinner, strolled around the peaceful village and sat down to write on my laptop. It doesn't get any better than that, does it?
snow report
This appartment block in La Thuile is right next to the lifts http://www.atahotels.it/struttura.asp?id=planibel&ln=eng

Driven past it in the summer, as I always seem to visit a ski resort in the summer before I ski it. But the skiing low down returning to the village looked great if your an intermediate looking for a challenge.

I'm a big fan of Serre Chevalier as an area aswell.

Shows what a great airport Turin is for skiing.
latest report
yeahArno, . has got an 'honesty bar' where you pour your own pints etc, burning log fire, mental collie dog, so is all quite jolly. Tina is Swedish, and they get lots of Swedish guests. It is better to go in a gang than for a romantic week for 2, as the restaurant is cellar bar type affair, and couples share with others. We had a lovely week of dinners with the chef's parents one year.

Also, FWIW she does summer accom and the ski room becomes the MTB room. Great wee place. She will also do part weeks if you ask nicely.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy