Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Schools in Going/ Ellmau

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone recommend a Ski School in Going/ Ellmau for our 4 year old?

Thanks in advance. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Here's a page with all the info: http://www.wilderkaiser.info/en/skischools.html. No personal experience but maybe someone will come along.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks espri, Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Avago, my info's quite a few years old, but as I recall (and see from espri's link) there's only one ski school in Going. There are three main ones in Ellmau (Hartkaiser, Ellmauer and Top. If you're staying in Going then I'd use the local one...none of them are worth commuting for wink

Of the three in Ellmau, Hartkaiser and Ellmauer were both based on the main nursary slopes, while Top were based on a smaller set of nursary slopes to the other side of the village. When I was there Top had a slightly worse reputation than the other two, but I never used them so it's difficult to tell how much they deserved it. They should all be ok for a 4 year old, really. I used Hartkaiser and they were ok...mainly because the instructresses taking the young kids were very dilligent (and not at all because they were hot...though they were).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ChrisWo, Thanks for that. Little Avago has previously had 30 hours of instruction, so I hope to choose that right ski school in the hope that he'll get the best chance of progressing further. Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We were in Ellmau last year and used the Hartkaiser ski school - both the adults and kids (9 & 12) had excellent English speaking instructors (Dutch actually) - and the girls were certainly worked hard! Don't really know anything about the quality of younger kids ski-school but they all looked happy and again the Instructors spoke good English - and didn't hear of any complaints (We stayed at the Crystal Club Hotel, Alpenhof, which was full of families - and the Crystal Creche is based there) - the Hartkaieser kiddies area looked smaller than the other one though but sounds like your boy might be beyond that anyway.
One disadvantage (or not, depending on your pov) is ski school is all day - not sure if that is true for the littlies though.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Zwee, certainly used to be all day for kids too (difficult to get parents into ski school if you only run the kids for a half day).

And yes, the instructors were mostly dutch but tended to speak fantastic English (curse them and their great language skills!).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ChrisWo wrote:
certainly used to be all day for kids too (difficult to get parents into ski school if you only run the kids for a half day)

I was thinking more of a pre-schooler - would he have to go to creche for half day?

ChrisWo wrote:
the instructors were mostly dutch but tended to speak fantastic English

The English I can understand - no one else speaks Dutch but how come so many can ski so well - isn't Holland flat?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Zwee, ChrisWo, Thank you both for you input. Smile

I am aware that the lessons are for 4 hours (2hrs am & 2hrs pm) which suits us as we can opt to miss pm if Little Avago wants to ski with us. I think we'll go with Hartkaiser as two recommendations are better than none!

It'll be the first time any of us have skied in Austria and I must say I'm really looking forward to it. Any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again. snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
zwee wrote:

I was thinking more of a pre-schooler - would he have to go to creche for half day?
The English I can understand - no one else speaks Dutch but how come so many can ski so well - isn't Holland flat?

I can't remember for sure, but I *think* even the littlest of kids did a full day. Don't think they worked particularly hard though - I think it was more like supervised play. Like I say, I'm not sure...

As for the Dutch and skiing, who knows - maybe they're attracted to mountains because they don't have any of their own!! They're also practically designed for skiing...tall and fairly athletic (and massively into Europop) Laughing

Avago, there are quite a few other posts about the Ellmau on here, so definitely worth a quick search. Austria is a very different feel to most of France...take your time, and enjoy the mountain huts (there's a good one mid-way down the home run called Rübezahlalm if you can find it, or Ellmauer Alm at the foot of the nursary slopes). Enjoy! snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ChrisWo, Thanks. I'll be sure to check out those mountain huts!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ellmauer Alm gets my vote as well - stereotypically Austrian (wood, roaring fires, ompah music and disco - not too loud or obtrusive but highly entertaining watching those in ski boots dancing) with excellent food and service.

Avago, if you are in all day ski-school then your instructor is likely to take you further afield after day one and not bring you back to base until the afternoon. The skischool provides lunch time cover for the kids (10E) which includes lunch - we paid this but our ski buddies didn't and just gave the kids some money for lunch and because the kids had also gone further afield and weren't back for lunch that seemed to be OK. Obviously this may not be appropriate for your youngster.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Zwee, All this info is very helpful thank you. Very Happy

Did you pay for lunches up front or on a daily basis?.............. As Little Avago usually loves ski school, we will give him the option of staying for lunch this would gives us a chance to explore further afield - atleast on a couple of days! wink

Thanks again
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We met our kids for lunch on the first day and then paid for the rest of the week in one go as both our instructor and theirs didn't want to come back to base for lunch for the rest of the week. Just have a chat with them to find out what they are planning.

We actually had lunch in the same place on a couple of days as we often skiied in the same areas.

The Instructors are very accomodating - they will contact each other if needs be to coordinate meeting up, switching groups, morning only etc. They waited with the children when our class was late back and on the Friday Kids Race morning our Instructor postponed our lesson until the racing was over so we didn't miss out on watching them or lesson time. If you aren't having lessons - the kids have pouches round their necks with parents contact info so they can inform you of any change of plan, I'm sure the Instructor would give you their number if you asked.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Avago, just remembered I had this photo of kids enjoying themselves in Going (from Boxing Day, last year) and thought it might get you into the mood Smile

If you want to meet up when your are out, just let me know and maybe we can arrange something.
ski holidays
espri, Thanks for that. I am definately getting excited.

I will get in contact closer to the time and hopefully we can arrange something. Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy