Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

delete

Poster: A snowHead
ii

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 24-02-10 21:33; edited 4 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ledge wrote:
I am 181cm and weigh 85kg 6ft and 13.5 st. The max ski length i would consider is 181 and would prefer 174/176 with a minimum of 169.

Why the maximum of 181 and the preference of 174/176?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
just

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 24-02-10 21:34; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I used to have some salomon 1080s. They skied like soft, buttery noodles, particularly because the ones I had were second hand and had been skied on a fair amount previously. They have a foam core which doesn't last very long in terms of ski mileage AFAIK. This seemed to be the opinion of all the ski-selling shops too when I was looking around for a replacement for these skis.

Perhaps if you look up the ski construction of each ski available then you can work out which skis are most likely to last you a few years more. I hear wood cores last longer.

By the way, my husband thinks Volka Karmas are fantastic but thinks Volkl Mantras are even better. They've lasted him a fair old while. Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've some Movement Gladiators in 183 that I'm looking to sell, if they weren't 2cm bigger than your max they'd be pretty much prefect for you
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 24-02-10 21:34; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi ledge, thought you were looking for twins...mantra's a full on big freeride ski, wont do you much good in a park at all! try mt-sport house on www.ebay.de they've got some troublemakers of about 2/3 yrs vintage going new for about £110, really solid ski! Karma's are good skis, solid wood core and they finished production just before volkl shifted to china and started producing skis that fell apart...thankfully over that now!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Than

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 24-02-10 21:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ledge, Call Noble Custom for all things Movement and they might have a few older stock skis, like Glads or Yakas at very decent prices.

As for TT's ... then a 183 Glad will ski down to around to mid 170's on piste..which is part of my beef with TT's in general, but that is another story.
I can't say whether you'd be able to ski it at your time on skis... but if you are young, fit and aggressive, then I would consider them.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi .

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 24-02-10 21:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ledge, Noble's clearance list is here
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ledge, I've skied on both Sparks and Hypes - both though in a telemark setup. I own the latter. Great skis, but they're not twins.

I'm very confused by your shortlist - it contains skis with hugely differing characteristics.

If you can get along to Hemel on 10th October for the next snowHeads bash then there's you'll be able to test before you buy.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 24-02-10 21:36; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ledge, An e-mail is fine but a telephone call is better as they are helpful on the phone and will know their stock better than I do

Sparks are very good skis and are a 82mm all mountain type ski which does most things well. I wouldn't call them a TT tho and they are all the better for it, IMV..
RE Gladiators..I don't find them remotely unforgiving, they surf well enough as long as you don't overpower them and a lot heavier guys that you are using them as a
deep snow ski so any stiffness helps there. They also aren't that stiff as the tip engages in deep snow very willingly, IMV and surfs up very readily.. but they are more torsionally rigid which helps on harder snow...which is kind of the work that design feature is supposed to do.
They call the Glad a Freestyle ski and maybe it is... most people I know that use them, use them as an all-mountain ski...

Not sure how they would go in the park.. and I think their Baggy model is more for that anyway...

If you want an 80% piste ski, then that isn't where you will get the best from the Gladiator, I call it a 30% piste, 70% off piste and the Spark 40-60 or thereabouts
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've had a pair of Karmas for 3 seasons, they are sound skis, good all round on piste, bumps & in variable conditions. And obviously ideal for the park as well. If you want to get on the edges and rip up the pistes, then these are not the ones, but I don't think thats what you're after
latest report
I

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 24-02-10 21:36; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
NEW

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 24-02-10 21:37; edited 2 times in total
snow report
ledge,

I think Punishers could suit you very well... they are a TT'd Mission, pretty much..
snow report
I'm

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 24-02-10 21:38; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Here is a blinding deal

http://www.freezeproshop.com/k2-silencer-skis-200809.ir?cName=brand-k2

match them together with these

http://www.freezeproshop.com/dynastar-nx-11-jib-ski-bindings.ir?cName=brand-dynastar-ski-bindings

and you have yourslef a very respectable pair of brand new k2 silencers for under £180. My mate has a pair and he really likes them. They're in your length as well, 179.

By the way I don't work for freeze pro, I just think they have some good deals
latest report
Blinding deal on the skis rambotion.

I suspect you could do better on the bindings. Stick a wanted ad here and you'll probably pick up a pair for £30.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy