Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs vs Les Deux Alpes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm the lucky chap who's been nominated to organise this year's ski holiday. We're a group of 10 in our late twenties who ski at either an intermediate or advanced level. We're mainly looking for good skiing but are also keen on some decent venues for apres (last year's hols to Morillon in the Grand Massif was a tad civilised for our liking).

As some people's budget aren't enormous and we're looking to stay in one or two self-catered apartments, I've got our choice of resort down to Les Arcs or Les Deux Alpes. Morzine was also an option but it looks like we're priced out.

Which of the two do you reckon would be more suitable? Or is there somewhere else that I've missed? Also there seem to be various different levels of Les Arcs so a heads-up on which is the most lively would be useful.

I should add that some people are intending on driving which is why we're limiting the choice to France.

Cheers for any advice in advance.

Tom
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
both would be equally appropriate Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tommy4681 wrote:
Also there seem to be various different levels of Les Arcs so a heads-up on which is the most lively would be useful.

Arc 1800 is usually considered to have the most apres-ski options.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Les Arcs is wonderful but the nightlife isnt great - i'd say Les Deux ALpes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've been to both and of the two I would personally choose Les Arcs. For skiing its fantastic, you have the whole of the Paradiski area of Les Arcs plus La Plagne via the Vanoise Express, so you'd have to be really going some to get through all of that within a week! I stayed in Arc 2000 which was very quiet for apres, though I'm led to believe Arc 1800 is pretty decent. Plus if you have 10 of you going you'll make your own fun anyway.

I can't comment too much on the skiing at Les Deux Alpes, as when I went it was late season, conditions were poor and a number of runs weren't open. That which was open was good though (although we found the lift out of resort to be really bad for queues), and the apres ski was decent with quite a few lively bars around where we stayed.

Whichever you choose I'm sure you'll have a great time.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Tommy4681,
Quote:

I should add that some people are intending on driving which is why we're limiting the choice to France.

I haven't driven anywhere but France but am sure that I read here or elsewhere that Western Austria and bits of Switzerland have very similar driving times to much of France.

If you want closeness Chamonix is closer than either and does pretty well for skiing and apres.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd happily go back to either but then I don't care much about le apres but rather have the white stuff under my planks. Little Angel

Anyway, Les Arcs has a huge skiing area with something for all aspirations. You can avoid the rip-off glorified snack bars on the mountain by lunching in a different 'village' every day (although some of the villages are more 'villagey' than others) and you can enjoy the night time peace and quiet of a virtual noise curfew after 9.00 PM.

L2A will provide good and varied (but relative to les Arcs) a much more compact skiing area and lotsa British accents. Take a day trip to Serre Chevalier and/or Alpe D'Huez if you fancy a change of scenery. Nights will give you easy and compact bar crawling and lunchtimes will let you quickly drop straight into a near empty eatery in the village for good value savoyarde meat and salad platters if all your group is confident and competent enough to descend Diable or neighbouring Valentin.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers for all the advice, people. L2A pipped it in the end due to getting a good deal and also the prospect of La Grave with a guide for the stronger skiers amongst us.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In good weather, la Grave with a guide will provide an unforgettable day.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
la grave in bad weather without a guide might also be unforgettable Skullie
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tommy4681 wrote:
Cheers for all the advice, people. L2A pipped it in the end due to getting a good deal and also the prospect of La Grave with a guide for the stronger skiers amongst us.

Of course the back of the ag rouge or the north face of the bellecote just can't compare
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Obviously arrived too late for this one, but next year the smart money should be placed with Tignes wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tommy. You'll have a great time in LDA as a group of twenty somethings. Good skiing and good night life
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tommy4681, good call. Have done both as a group of 20 somethings and had more fun at LDA. snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you are staying within the confines of the Lift system then I'd choose L2A...but if you wanted to explore with those that know..then all bets are off...
but then you aren't going to be doing that and the apre, IME...it is one or the other, IMV.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy