Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lesson packages or seperate ski passes?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

We are a family of 5 going on our first ski holiday to Morzine in January. I have been looking at lessons / ski hire / lift passes etc and am getting a bit snow-blind with it all!

Can anyone tell me if we would be better off paying for the all inclusive lesson package which includes the Morzine/Les Gets lift passes - or if we should buy seperately. If we are having lessons, will we need a lift pass on the first day?

Is there a company that offers lessons / lift pass / ski hire all together?

We have two teenagers who have been skiing once before so will prob be in a different group to us first-time parents, but also have a 5yr old who will need to be in Kindergarten ski lessons.

If anyone could offer and help I would really appreciate it. We all have our own boots (apart from the 5yr old).

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1. As a family of five you are a 'famille nombreuse' and will very probably qualify for a significant discount on your passes. Go to the lift office to ask on arrival and DO NOT buy from a TO because they won't give you this discount. Take everyone's passport with you.

2. Passes are usually cheaper if bought as part of a lesson package - ask at the ticket office before you do anything else, remembering to mention that you are a family of five.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ESF at Morzine offer a package for beginners which includes the lift pass

http://www.esf-morzine.com/index_uk.php?page=downhill_skiing_adults
+33 (0)4.50.79.13.13

children's group classes
4 - 14yrs
price / child
6 ½ days (consecutive lessons within a given period)

114€

With Lift Pass
172€

Group lessons / adults
from 15yrs
prices / adults
6 ½ days (consecutive lessons within a given period)

123€

with lift pass
219€

Might be worth a call to see if they'd offer some discount for the 5 of you
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Caddy, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead Not surprised you're going snow-blind; it's really confusing trying to sort out the best option.
A package with lessons is probably the best, but as Lizzard says there are various discounts - different from resort to resort. Sometimes you might get a 5 year old's pass free if you are buying 4 other passes, for example. Is the package you are looking at through the TO? If so, check what ski school it is and compare with the ESF quote above.

There are some different ski schools in Morzine - some more expensive than others. For example BASS Morzine http://www.britishskischool.com/morzine/ which is likely to be significantly better than ESF - and not only because of much smaller group size. Choice of ski school will be something else to get snow-blind about. On the whole, people on Snowheads are not too keen on the ESF, though some (including myself) have had good weeks with them. Luck of the draw really, with the instructor you get.

You'll have a great time anyway - and there's no "probably" about whether teenagers who have skied before will be in a different group - they'll be romping away. Laughing

And no, to answer the other question, I don't think you can do ski hire/lessons/pass as a package. Make sure the ski hire shop doesn't give you skis any higher than your nose - better at chin height. We've found hire shops sometimes a bit cavalier about this, and it makes a difference, especially on your first few days.

If you're not usually "sporty" be sure to look up some good pre-ski exercises; masses on the internet. A lot of adult beginners find it's their stamina that lets them down, rather than any difficulty with the technique.

And be sure to tell us how it all goes.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you do decide to go with Bass Morzine, I can recommend Jaz Lamb, he is a Basi instructor trainer and a very good teacher. I had him for my last technical exam.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Great, thanks for your advice - we have made an enquiry with BASS and it seems that although more expensive, it will be worth it for the smaller group sizes.

Can I ask then about the lift passes. Our first day out will be a Sunday though our BASS lessons (if we get in) will be the Monday 11.30-1.30. Would we need all day lift passes? For how many days?

We don't want to be buying lift passes for days we won't be using them.

Thanks in advance - what a GREAT website this is!!!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Caddy, lift ticket pricing is regressive - ie the longer your pass is for, the less it costs per day. If you're going for a week it is highly unlikely that buying daily half-day passes would be significantly cheaper than a six-day pass. Ask at the lift office when you get there.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Caddy, half a day's lift pass costs a lot more than 50% of a day. And you'd probably find those lesson hours overlapped the "half day" anyway. Wot Lizzard says. It won't make a big difference and you'll want to have a bit of a potter and practice outside your lessons anyway. There's plenty to sort out on your first family holiday without having to make tactical decisions about lift passes every morning. Grit your teeth and buy 'em up front. wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for your replies - we will go for the 6-day ones then. I notice that on http://www.skipass-lesgets.com/catalog/?lang=en there is a special offer for the Les Gets/Morzine area....

Discount price -20% on full price before 31/10/09 from 6 to 14 consécutive days (except for period 06/02/10 to 05/03/10). For example 6 days adult skipass 119.80 € instead of 149.70 €

6 days Adult (16 to 61 years) 119,80€ +-

6 days Child (5 to 15 years) 90,20€ +-

Does this look like a good deal? Am I likely to get them any cheaper in resort?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

6 days adult skipass 119.80 €

Cheap as chips! Shocked

Quote:

Am I likely to get them any cheaper in resort?

No.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi Caddy , get the six day pass , it wont be much difference in price and you will have so much fun skiing together as a family , please , please dont spend a load of money on a 6 day skiing holiday and not spend it all on the white stuff.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Caddy, that's a great deal - move fast to make sure you get it. Les Gets has heaps of English speaking visitors - you shouldn't have problems if you telephone them.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Although you might find that the first timers may spend the first day or two on nursery slopes which might be free. Probably worth contacting the school for advice. However those pass prices are very cheap.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy