Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Year week (+ Christmas) - Val Gardena or Alpe d'Huez?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I know that this is an odd either-or choice. There's a reason for it: my parents will also be there, with my son, starting Christmas week, and they would prefer a place they've been to before. Myself and hopefully some friends will join the NY week (I'll ski half-time with my son and half-time with my friends, seeking offpiste powder).

I've been to both resorts so I should be able to choose by myself. But I can't...snowHeads comments might help sway me.

Data: we're a mixture of standards: beginner, intermediate, offpiste cube jockey.

Which one is likely to be less crowded at New Year?

Anyone foolhardy enough to venture a guess on which one is likely to have better snow at NY?

Any other really important factors?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Val Gardena sounds like it might be a bit more festive than ADH (never been though). Would Vaujany be a possibility? a but more quaint but with access to the goods at ADH
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
won't most of the high up runs in alpe d'huez be likely to still be closed around new year as they won't have had enough snow to fill yet?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm a big fan of both so it is difficult to call. ADH is higher and has historically more snow over new year. It also has more challenging on piste skiing but the main resort is IMV distinctly souless. Val Gardena is quite charming and is probably going to be more appealing after a day on the slopes. I'm not being much help am I?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rambotion, I went to ADH over Christmas (2007) and it was all open up top.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
horizon, VG! No other reason than I prefer the resort!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Those of you saying VG - any idea of queues in resort? Last time I stayed in Santa Cristina on Fasching week and I saw quite a bit of queueing for the two main gondolas out of VG...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
horizon wrote:
Those of you saying VG - any idea of queues in resort? Last time I stayed in Santa Cristina on Fasching week and I saw quite a bit of queueing for the two main gondolas out of VG...

This year I visited the Sella Ronda area, I caught the last 2 days of the Italian 'Capodanno' New Year holiday combined with the start of the Russian Orthodox Christmas week, it was busy with Italians and Russians at Campitello/Canazei on the Val di Fassa side, also lots of Italians at San Cassiano etc in the Alta Badia sector. Val Gardena was OK, more popular with Germans/Scandis/Benelux. I guess it's a busy time in lots of resorts, so no opinion on whether it will be worse than Alpe d'Huez or not. But I do know I'd rather be in the beautiful Dolomites than a soulless French ski station.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Corvarra could be a bottle neck, and the 3 stage gondola going up Marmolada were the onlly problems I ever encountered in the whole Sella Ronda area. You will always be able to find a quiet spot!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh well. It's soulless ADH. It won on more easily accessible offpiste (if I want to split from my family for half-day), accommodation closer to the pistes (at similar prices), availability of indoor and outdoor pool, and also an ice rink for my father.

For some reason I don't find ADH soulless - at least compared to many large French resorts (La Plagne, Les Arcs, Tignes, Avoriaz) I think it has a better look and vibe. Of course that's a personal view. I'll be back in the Dolomites as well, though for next year's holiday with my son and parents I'm planning for Austria.

Now make this an early snow year. I don't want to worry until the 18th of December.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
horizon, commiserations to you Sad So near and yet sooo far! wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy