Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obertauern Transfer

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for some help fellow snowHead we are off to Obertauern for our short break this year and the official website recommends the following company for a fixed price transfer:

http://www.reisen-habersatter.at/transfer-en.php

Am I right saying they ask you to fill in a form, then do a bank transfer to confirm the booking? This is probably a dumb question, but will a bank transfer to pay for this booking be as simple as you would expect? Anyone else made such payments overseas?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You might pay 20-30£ for bank transfer. In Barclays it is not possible to do it online which is a pain.

I used the same taxi service 2 years ago. And I think I emailed them saying bank transfer is expensive from the UK and they let me pay by card at the end.
Last year similar story to nearby Flachau, I contacted them a week before and they said to me it will be ok to pay by cash to the driver as it was quite late.

Anyway, the transfer was excellent, really reccomend this, they wait outside the airport and less than 1h later you will be dropped outside your hotel. On return they will call your hotel and inform what time is the pick up etc. Great service.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tom W, sounds brilliant. So you think I should contact them about making a credit card payment or should I try and pay cash on arrival?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I used these people a couple of years ago too, couldn't fault the service. I phoned them up and paid by credit card in advance, rather than bank transfer. Word of warning; our driver didn't speak English and asked (in German) about payment when he dropped us off, but I just about managed to explain we'd paid in advance.

Have a great trip - I really liked Obertauern, looking at possibly going back this year.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We used Habersatter year before last to Obertauern. Just filled out the form and rang their office up to pay by credit card. Good English spoken in their office. Print your email out to use as confirmation. Recommended, punctual and good service.

Very good pizza available in the Taverne bar till late!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ski-finder, Just ask them for credit card payment I think, you will be sure the transfer is confirmed.

I really liked Obertauern. Apres ski bar at the top of Edelweiss chair and then skiing back to the village in the dark is not to be missed!!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I agree with all above- I've used them a couple of times (and using them this year in April).
Just fill in the form on-line , they'll email you back with an invoice and transfer number. You call phone them and pay by CC quoting transfer number.
Very good servcice - the driver will be waiting at the arrivals gate for you.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ditto - they were excellent & I paid by credit card. Just email them and ask.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They sound perfect, time is of the essence on our short breaks. Also really looking forward to Obertauern, we like to rack up the KM but still enjoy the mountains and indulge on our way! The Tauern Round sounds great too... I like the concept of a continual loop you can start and finish at any lift point, going both clockwise and anti clockwise. It sounds unique, is it?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We used them too for Schladming and also paid by CC. Little hint, take directions to your own accommodation yourself, because we got shipped into smaller minibuses at a service station, and the driver didn't know his way round town very well. Fortunately we did!

Cheap transfer though!

D
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ski-finder, the apres ski in the Edelweiss hutte is good fun.....I'm sure that within no time at all you'll be up on the table dancing and singing about the Eisbär and Red Horses rolling eyes wink rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ski-finder, another vote for them here, we used them a couple of years ago, I think Hamish, may have directed me to them back then. We paid over the phone via CC. great service. We had actually collected our bags, loaded the car and were on the road before out expected arrival time.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well after much annoyance the prices of my Ryanair flights didn't include baggage or check-in or credit card payment and has launched the price by treble!

Any alternatives to Ripoff Air you might suggest?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ski-finder, Don't know where you are but BA fly from Gatwick to Salzburg - have you tried that ?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hamish, Midlands so it's an option, i'd prefer to pay more and fly with them... timings aren't quite so good but an option none the less
latest report
I'll just echo what others have written regarding the transfer. It could not have run more smoothly.

Unlike the others, I was less than impressed with Obertauern, though. Personal preference, I guess.
snow report
ami in berlin, yes it's fair it has mixed reviews... but we want a) go to Austria b) guarantee snow c) have easy access on and off slopes mainly cos we are only there for a few days.

What didn't you like?
ski holidays
ski-finder, it's not as though it was terrible. I just didn't find that it was for me.

Your point b) and c) are certainly true. The high elevation makes it quite snow-sure, and access is easy from Salzburg on the motorway and everywhere in town is easily reachable from the slopes. Anything that isn't ski-in/ski-out might as well be. Point a) is obviously true as well, but in my opinion it had all the aspects of Austria that I dislike without any of the things that appeal to me in the country.

I can only take so much crap alpin-disco apres ski. I find it amusing for about an hour, but then I'd rather see a live rock band or have a quiet drink somewhere. As far as I could tell, there was an Obertauern mix tape with the same 10 songs that every single bar played on constant repeat for the entire time we were there (only a weekend, to be fair). It was either endure yet another DJ Bobo song or sit alone in the hotel room. Now I link to have a few drinks when I'm skiing, but it seemed at times that nobody else was actually there for the skiing. It was nice having the slopes empty in the morning while the umbrella bars were full (at 9:30), although that made skiing around people a bit tough later in the day. It just seemed like a rather down-market place for Austrians and (mostly) Germans to drink and maybe do a little skiing as well.

But despite having a down-market feel, I also found it much more expensive than elsewhere in Austria. Food, drink and hotel all cost more than what I usually pay in Austria. So it was missing the price advantage that Austria usually has, and as a purpose built resort was also missing the charm of the country.

So in my opinion, it had the worst of Austria without the best.

But more importantly, the skiing was underwhelming. I have to mention in full fairness that the top lift was closed by the weather for the entire weekend, so I did not get to ski the most difficult terrain. Obviously that clouds my view, although unless that lift warrents constant laps for the entire two days, the resort still falls short. Most of the skiing was flat, and what wasn't flat was very short and required a long pole/skate at the bottom (at times even uphill). That's just the geography of the place. It was also crowded with drunks by the end of the day.

My cross-country skiing girlfriend was also with me, and the trails advertised by the resort were poorly marked, in many cases not maintained, and even those that were maintained were poorly prepared.

There are so many great places to ski in Austria (and beyond) that I just can't see any reason why I would want to return there.
snow report
I think Obertauern is very enjoyable for a few days. I would love to go back there for a couple of days.

Yes – it is not big area, not much vertical, most of the runs are on the short side with some flat parts and annoying connecting pistes – BUT – it is quite unique bowl where you can see most of the terrain from any place and the view is amazing, lift system is modern and there are plenty of very good runs for repeated trips.
Village is very pleasant; it is not a French style purpose-built at all. I did not feel it was down-market either. It is definitely different that other resorts around Salzburg.

If you there for more than couple of days and have a car there are many resorts nearby to break the week – Zauchensee – excellent, excellent terrain and you can see the Obertauern bowl from there, Schladming, Flachau… or on the other side (same ski pass and bus connections) – Grosseck.
snow report
Aimi in Berlin, if you had to pole for any of the lifts you wern't going fast enough! Never poled in any significant way for a whole week. Suggest taking your ipod, as ive never found anywhere skiing with decent music, just have to enjoy what you have. I'm with Tom a great place even for a week. You do repeat runs, however,- so what? Its how, rather than where for the most part for me. Did it feel good? How well did you ski? My other sport is golf and I play the same course over 50 times a year. Its never boring because its how, not where, and I can assure you the scenary is much better in Obertauern than Liverpool. (Music is not though)
Great varied skiing in most French resorts, extensive, but crowded by comparison, and I'd love to find music of any sort there, pretty dead in most places at night. I would also go again however, because each place has its charms.
ski holidays
If I find a nice run I can repeat it many many times. For me it says a lot about quality of particular run. I can enjoy it many times. It is the act of skiing/snowboarding that makes me smile.

I was amazed once in a chalet in Saalbach when a group claimed on the second day (?!) that they have skied all runs - they were genuinely worried what they will do for the rest of the week. Bizarre.
snow report
Tom W, that would surprise me in Saalbach... there's over 200km!!
snow report
Tom W, well I suppose my point was that I didn't find any of the runs in Obertauern to warrent that sort of repetition. Again, the top lift was closed the entire weekend, so that may have changed things.

twoodwar, poling/skating is required when the itinerary deposits you on a flat plateau with about 300 meters of winding nordic tracks/walking trails seperating you from the lift. Pretty much unavoidable.

ski-finder, again this is just one person's opinion. I'm sure you'll have your own after your trip.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy