Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weekend in Hemel with Definition Freestyle camp

Poster: A snowHead
Spent this past weekend on the Freestyle Intro course offered by Definition Camps. Decided to take the course to build on some very basic tuition i'd had on jumps years ago and also to give me a reason to go to the indoors slopes, like Hemel - I've never really used them much before beyond a day here and there as the call of 130m of piste followed by a bol***k popping poma ride didn't really appeal.

The course is pitched at any reasonably competent rider who wants' to learn basic freestyle, and by the end of play on Sunday we'd covered basic flatland jumping, riding boxes and kickers with a few 180's and grabs in there too. Pace was relaxed, not too pressured, with 2 great instructors on hand (Gavin Learmonth and James 'Jimbo' Foster, cheers guys) at all times, and advice was tailored to the individual.

So what have I got for my money? Well apart from a grab-bag of bruises, I reckon I've improved a lot on what I'd done before and probably the best thing is the confidence to have a crack at the park properly. I doubt I'd have thought of going to a Friday night session at HH before the course, now I reckon I'd happily have a go.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am attending this same course tomorrow and Sunday.

Trip report to follow, if I don't smash my face off and die.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
paulio, have fun. try not to die, cos you know, we'd all have to make jokes about it after.

edited for poor grammar

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 7-06-10 10:08; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If I die you are all more than welcome to laugh at me.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lol @ paulio

Too soon????
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Today's course was so hardcore, that my underpants were soaked wet through and I had to drive home 'commando'. Also, I need new buttocks.

Invented a new trick though. The "90 to gluteslide".
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OK, finished it!

Once again it was Gav Learmonth but with Sam Cullum as guest rider (also in attendence was a wee'un called Cerys who looks like she's going to be going for Olympic gold in 2018). The structure was pretty much the same as Dickie Sideways describes above. Flatland tricks (more for "body management" than actually learning tricks), followed by a box/rail on the Saturday; then all Sunday spent hoofing off a kicker. I wasn't very good on the box, but well enjoyed the jumps. Tricks 'in the bag':

Ollying over things. Not very high things, but nevertheless.
50/50s and boardslides on the box.
Straight airs both normal and switch off the jump. Managed at least once to manage an indie grab, a mute, and a method.
180 off the jump, and for a cheeky bonus I had a go at a cab 180 and landed it!

That's a lot in a weekend. Me and the other bloke on the course both agreed it's one of the most punishing things we've ever done. This morning I struggled to put my trousers on due to lack of movement in my legs, and my buttocks have been pulverized into pâté from one too many failed boardslides on the box. Cerys kept laughing at my lack of impact shorts. WHO'S LAUGHING NOW EH?

A really great course, hosted by great people.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
paulio, you make it sound like it was fun, regardless (or maybe because of?) the pain inflicted Laughing.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Video to follow!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We're still transferring the video from Super 8 to Betamax, so in the meantime I will leave you with the following mental image.

After the course, both of my big toenails turned black, from where I landed funny and kicked them everso hard against the inside of the end of my boots. I think I hadn't done them up properly. Anyway. Last night I had a bit of a pick at one of the nails as it was looking a bit long and it made a wet squeaking noise like steam escaping from a whistling kettle that's just started to cool down, and a thin jet of 'stuff' came out - surprisingly forcefully. I had to use some Vanish to get the stain out of the carpet.

Freestyle, everyone!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 14-06-10 9:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
paulio, do you mind? i was having my breakfast...!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sherlock235 wrote:
paulio, do you mind? i was having my breakfast...!

Important update:
http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/g964-the-perils-of-freestyle.html
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
paulio, yuk! That's disgusting!! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paulio, that is through nasty and out the otherside my friend.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It required a fair amount of Dutch courage to detach the final corner.
ski holidays
You and the OH should get together sometime - he seems to like detaching his toe nails from his toes Confused He always says if he was going to be tortured he'd say 'do anything to me, but don't pull my toe nails off...'
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy