Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best ways to save in resort

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I am currently looking for ways to save money whilst in resort. Skiing does cost enough so the more I save when in resort the better! Any sggestions. Half board is one option at least that way meals are covered. As well as this I can keep a breadroll from brekkie to cover a snack on the mountain. I know the mountain restaurants are expansive enough!! Any other great ideas??????

Thanks,
Angela.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
- self catering, eat pasta
- sandwich for lunch
- or big breakfast, Snickers for lunch
- don't drink in bars
- don't drink

I should point out that guests who steal the breakfast for lunch are really REALLY annoying. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ha ha - it was a sugestion given to m e by a friend!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This is why I am looking to see from regular skiers what other ways there are to get around the system. I've been once before and I remember last time I went I didn't even eat lunch so I wasn't too fussed about this as a great idea. I also dont like the idea of not drinking cause this is the apres ski!! With the economy the way it is I stiill want to go and will book a great deal before I leave paying for as much as I can before I go but was wondering if there were any wild and wonderful suggestion for saving while in resort. Maybe there's not much you can save on after all!!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I only recently realised how much I used to spent on drinks while on the mountain.

Before I did not bother to carry a bottle of water with me so I was getting thirsty very often, because of it every stop in mountain restaurant ended with a 10Euro bill - Coke (3E), hot chocolate (3-4E), small beer (3-4E). I've never drunk even half of it, but was too thirsty not to buy all of them at once.

Total waste of money. I don't mind paying for beer and food.
But coke, water etc.. will be better off buying in the supermarket.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lizzard,
Quote:

I should point out that guests who steal the breakfast for lunch are really REALLY annoying

But they have paid for breakfast so they are entitled to take as much as they like from the buffet....... Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Angel1977, Go with your boss's father!!! wink Just heard he is taking the radio crowd to Austria on January 23rd!

My Mrs wanted to get away from us Irish skiers, so went with her old club mates to Saalbach last year. She went the same week as the Dempsey crowd same place same time! Serves her right!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We've asked before if it's ok to take some bread when breakfast has been finished, we have then bought tomotoes and ham locally and made a pack lunch. Big hydration pack of water and no money need be spent on the hill.

Also buying a family pass (if your a family) saves money...

Tom W, both coke and beer are going to make you more thirsty in the long run!

Find the bar doing happy hours for apres ....

Or have kids, kills the apres ski beers Wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Perhaps you should all be aware that the evidence to date indicates that Angel1977 will use any information she gleans here for a commercial website of her own - so maybe you should ask for payment up front before "donating" any advice rolling eyes

I am of course willing to be corrected if the OP can demonstrate that this is not her intent.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boredsurfing wrote:
Lizzard,
Quote:

I should point out that guests who steal the breakfast for lunch are really REALLY annoying

But they have paid for breakfast so they are entitled to take as much as they like from the buffet....... Twisted Evil

Personally, I think the breakfast buffet is for breakfast, taking some for lunch seems rather tacky, so I am with Lizzard. But yours is an interesting viewpoint from one who runs a hotel.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As kitenski says having kids slashes you apres spending Smile , but then of course there is in resort childcare followed by child ski lessons and additional passes Sad .
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i just fill my hydration pack with supermarket bought beer! Shocked
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

But they have paid for breakfast so they are entitled to take as much as they like from the buffet.......

...... as long as they eat it at the breakfast table. This is a hotel, not a takeaway. Laughing

This is my strategy - pig a huge breakfast and skip lunch.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Angel1977, asking idiot questions like this one isn't inspiring much confidence in directski.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lizzard, What do you expect form a company that is practically run by topflight Irelands most expensive and dumbest tour operator! Direct ski is just run by one of Topflights offspring and offers the same holidays (They are allegedly all topflight holidays) at about €200 less per holiday

Says an awfull lot about both companies.
snow conditions
Ordhan, that explains a lot. Last time I had anything to do with Topflight they were describing a hostel-standard property in Alpe d'Huez as three star - we had to ply their traumatised rep with medicinal wine after every arrival day. Laughing
ski holidays
Hi all,

I purposely didn't put the company I work with in this because it is a personal enquiry. It is true we have gotten info from this forum previously - my boss posted a query but he was very open with where he worked and as a result of the help he got from quite a few people he also put a thank you on our websites family page for the info. He also put a link to Snowheads because the info was great. I say again NONE of this was done on the sly and he kept it upfront for anyone who read the post.

As it so happens I got married last month so although myself and my partner may be able to book a late deal (and pay for it) I was looking for ways we could cut down on the bill in resort. I remember when I travelled with Inghams it was expensive enough although we went to Arinsal last time which wasn't too bad. This year I wanted to go to Austria/ France but they are more expensive. Hence the question. I didn't think it was a silly one but.....fair enough.

Thanks so far to those who put up responses. I hadn't thought of water while on the slopes Smile I was a bad beginner so never made it that far ha ha.

Angela.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 28-09-09 12:05; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
Quote:

Half board is one option at least that way meals are covered

Pay for your meals in advance, rather than on the day. Doesn't strike me as a good money-saving wheeze.
snow conditions
Go to a cheap resort/country (Bulgaria?).
ski holidays
Either go self catering and save on everything or save money before you go and bloody enjoy yourself.

ps stealing bread rolls at breakfast is rather common.
latest report
Quote:

stealing bread rolls at breakfast is rather common.

Definitely. Spyder jacket and no knickers.
snow report
Quote:

save money before you go and bloody enjoy yourself

Hear hear. It's meant to be a holiday, after all. Where's the fun in scrimping and saving?
snow conditions
pam w, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
[quote="jonm"]
Quote:
Where's the fun in scrimping and saving?

This is true Laughing
snow report
Quote:

Where's the fun in scrimping and saving?

Coming home to a bank account healthy enough to deal with another week's skiing.
snow report
Yup - my brother went to Bad Gastein twice last year because he loved it so much. Mind you he hasn't booked for this year yet so maybe it's all caught up on him Smile
He would be a MUCH better skier than me. That's not saying much though Smile
I am still waiting to see what it's like to have money that's not going into a 'Wedding Fund!!' Mind you it's now a 'Wedding Debt' Sad
ski holidays
Angel1977, haven't you asked the same question on behalf of the company, and had it deleted? You also advised us of advice you had used from a SnowHeads thread to put together a family page on DirectSKi. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=53038 Not really cricket is it?
ski holidays
Angel1977, more money-saving wheezes:
- don't get married
- don't spend idiot amount of cash on getting married
- trade in man for richer one
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont wrote:
Angel1977, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=53038 Not really cricket is it?
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
Angel1977, more money-saving wheezes:
- don't get married
- don't spend idiot amount of cash on getting married
- trade in man for richer one

Ha ha - I like this one Smile
Is a month too soon to do this?

Umm lucky joe's not on this!!
latest report
Not at all, no doubt there are eligible men on the continent that could fulfill your requirments !! wink You cant get a cheaper place than Arinsal?
latest report
Top Ski bum Tip
Many customers order way to much & leave food on there plates. Plenty of food can be had there Very Happy You can eat quite well for a whole season Very Happy
snow conditions
Roy Hockley wrote:
Not at all, no doubt there are eligible men on the continent that could fulfill your requirments !! wink You cant get a cheaper place than Arinsal?

Must keep that in mind next time he steps out of line ha ha. Yup am thinkn I might stick with this. I did have a good time in Arinsal and the slopes were nice and easy for beginners - which I still am!

Thanks for all your responses here. Back to andorra it is but think I might try Pas de la Casa now. I know thru work this is a pretty popular one so I'll go where the crowd goes Wink

Everyone - thanks again for the help it was much appreciated. I helped me to decide where to look at anyway which is what I needed. Duty free will always win out for saving a bit of cash! Off to check the Andorra now.
ski holidays
Angel1977, Andorra is not the cheap place it once was, so if this is critical for you ................. be aware of this!

Pas can be party central, no doubt you will have a blast!
snow report
I went to Pas - it was lots of fun but does NOT compare to St Anton. However ST A and budget are never heard in the same sentence.
snow conditions
Angel1977, I have been to Pas de la Casa twice and I wouldn't say it was overly cheap. It's a big town and rather ugly and dirty. I went self-catering with a group of Uni mates and we ate out every night as the cooking facilities were next to useless. This cost a holy fortune and going half board is much cheaper. There are lots of bars and restaurants in Pas and prices are comparable to any Italian resort for example. The nightlife is very good (if you like that kind of thing) and very noisy. The only things that really benefit from being cheap/duty free are supermarket grog and electrical equipment. Ski hire, lift pass, mountain hut prices all on a par with Austria or Italy.
ski holidays

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 30-09-09 0:34; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
Take your butler with you, avoids having to tip the hotel staff.
ski holidays
if you drive take a cool box of food from the uk. Cheaper than buying in resort or even out of resort at the current exchange rates.
snow report
jonm wrote:
Quote:

save money before you go and bloody enjoy yourself

Hear hear. It's meant to be a holiday, after all. Where's the fun in scrimping and saving?

More money to spend on actual sliding time. snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy