Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

December 4-6 Where will DEF have snow?

Poster: A snowHead
Have a long weekend with kids due to school inset day and thinking about going for a cheeky ski. We dont mind what country, but mainly need lots of flattering blues to build their confidence.

I was thinking somwhere like Kaprun but not sure its open....or is it?

Any bright ideas?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Peter Leuzzi, Kaprun should be open weather permitting (i.e. not blowing a gale etc). I've been planning a pre-xmas ski trip but have decided to wait until the last minute to decide whether to go or not so I can see what the conditions are like. Flights and accommodation shouldn't be a problem in early Dec.

Good luck with it. snowHead

Kersh
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Peter Leuzzi, Tignes is about the most obvious, though there's always the possibility of very high winds spoiling the show and blowing the snow away. Even if only the glacier is open, there are some good blue runs. With luck there'd be a lot more.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Peter Leuzzi, Cervinia will be open from end of October according to its website. Definitely ticks the box for lots of flattering blues. Good idea BTW, must check our school calendar to look for inset days Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Why not book flights to somewhere like Geneva or Zurich and then follow the snow? Easy to pick up accommodation at that time of year.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
lech is open from the weekend before, oberlech in particular would be great for kids as a place to stay, and has lots of loverly flattering blues.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks folks, all good comments and worth considering.

So. In a nutshell, if I were to book flights now (GVA, Turin or Salzburg) and wing it as to what resort we go to, are we agreed that I will get snow somewhere (wind permitting)? Accom doesnt worry me at all as its so early in the season.

Is that a fair summary?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

are we agreed that I will get snow somewhere

you really do know that there are no guarantees, don't you? There will be snow somewhere - top of Mont Blanc unlikely to be bare. Whether there's nice snow to ski on, on the sort of slopes you're looking for, in weather you can enjoy?

Probably.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, absolutely disagree. I want you to guarantee it Toofy Grin

I think Im just looking to get some cheapie flights now, and give us the best possible chance with the greatest number of possibilities
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think you're better off waiting to buy flights IMO. You may buy flights now and find that there's no snow near that destination, in which case they may well be cheap but also useless. With the recession and the fact people will be spending on Christmas stuff, folk won't be flying abroad for holidays early December. I doubt the flight prices will go up much between now and the end of November when you'll have a better idea of conditions.

I know exacly how you feel because I'm in the same boat. I have new skis to try out, an apartment in the Alps and am itching to get out there ..... but i'm still going to wait to see what the snow's like nearer the time. wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I doubt the flight prices will go up much between now and the end of November when you'll have a better idea of conditions.

I'd agree with that.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As has been said, a piste on a glacier (such as at Tignes's Grande Motte) will fairly much guarantee snow. But with that proviso (and the assumption that none of these figures were measured on glaciers and that in general the resort's choice of measuring place will have an effect) here are the snow figures for the first week of December for the 4 resorts mentioned so far:
The figures start with an average over 12 or 15 seasons (can't remember which) followed by figures for the last 6 years, starting with 08/09 - in each case upper, then lower slopes eg / 127:102 /

Kaprun 143:31 .. / 111:59 / 202:132 / 82:14 / 157:34 / 100:5 / 111:17 /
Cervinia 174:84 .. / 232:70 / 173:48 / 87:8 / 68:18 / 123:34 / 174:84 /
Tignes 97:27 .. / 104:42 / 56:46 / 48:8 / 54:26 / 70:24 / 124:29 /
Lech 65:40 .. / 110:54 / 127:102 / 0:0 / 52:40 / 24:21 / 0:0 /

As you can see, though Lech skiing is on meadows, requiring less snow, it is not a suitable place! (Actually 0:0 was n/a:n/a which might have been a couple of cm., I suppose)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Val Thorens.
Been going every year for the last week in November and it has always had snow. ( Last 6 years) anyway.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jimmjimm, whats transfer and accom like for a weekend?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Peter Leuzzi wrote:
Accom doesnt worry me at all as its so early in the season.

Do check out a few places in advance. Lots of places don't open until the main season starts, so getting somewhere can be harder than you'd think. You *will* find somewhere, but it's a lot quicker and less stressful if you've done your research in advance.
ski holidays
I'm probably going to Tignes Val Claret on the 5th December, so I bloody hope there is snow there Laughing
ski holidays
Peter Leuzzi, I hire a car from Grenoble . There's no shortage of accomadation try the 3vallies hotel for short stays.
or agence2300 for apartment rental.
ski holidays
Hemel Hempstead.
Catleford.
Tamworth.
Milton Keynes
etc.

Anywhere in the Alps could have snow, many places will almost certainly have snow (see above).
For DEF snow....don't go high, go inside!
ski holidays
Kersh wrote:
.... You may buy flights now and find that there's no snow near that destination, in which case they may well be cheap but also useless.

if there is no snow at high resorts near Geneva in early Dec then we will all be in trouble Shocked

If I was booking a trip for 'guaranteed snow' I would be looking at Stubai Valley for the glacier or Khutai nearby, or Arlberg region (Innsbruck), Arosa (if open), Saas Fee, Zermatt, Arlberg too etc (from Zurich), loads of resorts in Austria from Salzburg, and Tignes, VT, Swiss resorts etc (from Geneva) - so any airport that is close to a resort with a glacier really Very Happy
snow report
1. Tignes;
2. Zermatt;

It is going to be an El Nino (warm) winter, so you need to head as high as possible. Must have a glacier.
snow report
Head for a glacier if poss. Kaprun will be fine at that time, as will Stubai, Hintertux etc. Kaprun just over an hour from Salzburg so good for short breaks. Hintertux and Stubai closer to Innsbruck.

If you can get cheap flights to either of the above you will find skiing.

And if there is early snow, you will get to ski lower down as well, although at that time of year, it is likely to be dependent on whether the lift companies are operating, rathe rthan just whether there is enough snow.

D
latest report
Quote:

In a nutshell, if I were to book flights now (GVA, Turin or Salzburg) and wing it as to what resort we go to, are we agreed that I will get snow somewhere (wind permitting)?

Yup, agreed.

I've done early season (ie September onwards) weekend ski trips of between 2 and 5 days for the last 20 years or so. These have always been by booking flights to Geneva, Salzburg, Munich, Turin, Bergamo etc - for Tignes, Val Thorens, Saas Fee, Zermatt, Hintertux, Kaprun, Pitztal, Soelden, Garmisch, Cervinia etc. Although the trips have mainly featured glaciers, occasionally, (usually early December) I have also skied non-glacier areas like Avoriaz, Chamonix, Bad Ragaz (quite low area near Zurich) and Malbun (Liechtenstein). In the second week of November 2004 Obergurgl (high but non-glacial) was open with great conditions and deserted pistes.

Although there is an element of pot luck, I have never yet gone on any early season trip and not skied through lack of snow - in fact on all but one trip (Tignes, early November 2006) conditions have been excellent. Even that trip had good cover but very hard snow. Coincidentally, my one really bad weekend - decent snow but high winds and driving rain at all levels - was also at Tignes, one November (different year to the above). We were only there 2 days and the glacier was shut due to a storm on day 2.....Overall though, I've had excellent autumnal/early winter skiing so no complaints.

In my experience, the first significant snowfalls where the snow sticks around at altitude can happen any time after mid/late October - so I would go so far as saying you can book flights to any of the above and GUARANTEE snow/skiing at a glacier area in early December. With any luck, higher non-glacier areas will be open too.

This season's early doors run is to Salzburg on 7th November - can't wait!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy