Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any tips on teaching a pre ski school toddler to ski

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My little boy will be 22 months when i take him skiing this season and I'm planning on getting him sliding this time.

I'm going to buy:

a set of plastic strap on skis

a tip connector.

A ski lift (a harness that allows you to pick him up with one hand etc)

A leash so if he does manage to slide a bit he wont go too far

A nice warm ski suit, gloves and hat

Obviously I don't expect too much from him at his age and if he just has a little walk on the snow in his skis then that's fine or just slide between his mum and me for a metre or two.

Anyone got experience of taking kids this age? Are there any snowdomes that would allow him a little practice before we go? Any advice appreciated
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
garethjomo, We've done this with both boys, and they absolutely love it. The younger is in the first part of this video and would have been 21/22 months when it was taken:
http://youtube.com/v/O1xovYeMdUI [The bigger kid is his older brother, then 7.5yrs.]

We use equipment from Kid-Ski to get them started: http://www.applerise.com/merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=ARS&Category_Code= - but you can only order it direct from the US.

Tamworth have a snow play area (under the main slope) which may let him have a try.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RobW, Great video. Thanks. My oldest will be 9 when we go so sure he'll be happy to help his little bro out like your son did.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
garethjomo, make sure the winter boots you use with the plastic skis fit well - otherwise you'll be left holding the child as the skis and boots slide away! A lot of kids don't realise that they need to stand up, so you might have to spend a lot of time practicing just standing up. snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RobW, Were those real boots and skis your little one was using? did you hire or buy them?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
what a super bit of film - they looked like real skis. great one legged skiing by big brother, too! I started getting my 3 year old grandson into the swing of it in the kitchen - he was standing on a bath mat and I was towing him around the island unit - to get him into the swing of a drag lift. wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
garethjomo, Yes, real boots and skis. He had some 2nd hand boots which we'd been using but unfortunately they disintegrated on the trip! The only boots the in-resort ski shop had were the Roces adjustable boots ( http://www.roces-snow.com/ ) and he just fitted into the smallest size - not cheap but they should last him a few years.

It's unusual for hire kit to be available for kids that small, but there is a thriving 2nd-hand market for small boots and skis through our local club: that's where his skis came from - they are Fischer RC4 skis, 70cm long, with a 3m(!) turning radius: http://www.fischerskis.com/en/products_ski.php?show=detail&id_product=18675
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
garethjomo, we started our son just as he turned 3 so a little bit later. We started him with real kit, I'm not sure about those plastic skis, as RobW says there is a good second hand market for tiny kit and also it often ends up in the sales. With the boots, the smallest I have seen are the Nordica Nordy which start at a Mondo size 14.0 which is probably around a UK 6 or so, most others AFAIK start at a Mondo 16.0. The Nordy also seems to have a soft top. Having said that I think you can get away with little kids boots being a bit big whilst they are still just sliding. If you think your little one will ski a lot I think the Roces boots are worth a look, I recently considered them but my son is now at the top end of the size range so instead of getting 6 sizes out them we would probably get 2, so not really worth it for us.

With the skis, we had a 2 year old in our party last Easter in La Tania and the hire shop there had 70cm skis for him. There are also very cheap odd pairs around online if you search, I will try to remember where I've seen them! Also I was in Ski Bartlett a few weeks ago and I am pretty sure they had a few pairs of tiny skis in stock, they also have lots of small second hand boots, you could give them a ring they are very helpful.

Re. practising at a dome, I think it's doubtful. They seem to be strict about this due to insurance or whatever, you can't go on the nursery slope unless you are on a lesson and the minimum age is 3 for a private lesson, 4 for group. You can't go on the main slope unless you are recreational standard. I guess at a pinch you might get away with towing him around on the flat or in the snow play area at a quiet time. This is based on my experience at CFe but I guess it would be similar at the other domes.

RobW great to see that clip again Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
garethjomo, RobW, clearly found a helmet for his youngster - you might want to consider whether you want to add one to your shopping list.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
RobW, what a brilliant video!!! Tommy is going to be 30 months old when we hit the slopes this year, but I'd always considered him much too young to start sliding! This may give me a very different idea of what this holiday's going to be...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum, good thinking! garethjomo, Giro Slingshot (or Richochet the old version) very good for little ones as it is adjustable, has a dial at the back to tighten the fit.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
garethjomo, Also, IMV it is vital that you consider providing some form of eye protection from the sun to go on that helmet Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Does everyone think a helmet is important when skiing then wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
garethjomo, Laughing Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy