Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Many runs on the cheap advice?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Does anyone have any advice on the best places to go for cheap skiing in out of the ordinary places? I am looking for somewhere to go (in Europe) that has plenty of runs and good hotels very near to the slopes so, while I would like somewhere cheap, price is not the main priority.

I have skied the extensive Skiwelt at Kitzbuhel and Soll, inter alia, which were fantastic but would like to try somewhere different without the expense of the glitzy French and Italian resorts and therefore thought about Romania and Bulgaria until I saw how few runs they had.

I am an intermediate skier and would be very grateful for any suggestions?

Durham Red
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tatras in the Czech Republic. Friends went there with Mountain Paradise last year and had a great time. But don't expect extreme difficulty. Worst thing they found was the standard of on-mountain toilets.....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks. I'll look into that. Are in Sweden, Borovets in Bulgaria and the Skiwelt (again) are the frontrunners at the moment. Are would be perfect if I didn't abhor button lifts!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We skiied Are, and it's definately NOT cheap! Also its a bit linear, so not many hotels close to lifts. That said, it was my favourite holiday owing to the organisation of the swedish, and the family friendlyness of the place. Not sure there's loads for an internediate. Still struggling with parallel turns myself!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Durham Red, Ski Amade in Austria gives massesof skiing with plenty of sensible priced accommodation in the area.

You can go non glitzy France or Italy.

Dolomites are meant to be fab but I have not been. Milky way is certainly non glitzy with masses of skiing.

Risoul is siad to be very reasonably priced and extensive. Valloire/Valmemier has plenty of skiing and is not exactly pricey. Serre Che is non glitzy and by French standards is very reasonably priced. On average I wold say that if you are wanting to hotel it Austrian hotels give you a bit more bang for your buck than French ones. The fairly small number of Italian ones I have been to have been between French and Austrian standards.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I reckon Montgenevre or Claviere is a pretty good bet in the Via Lattea (Milky Way) as mentioned by T Bar.

On the reasonably priced side of things for Italy and France. Good snow coverage.

Over 400km of skiing in Italy and France. But enough in the local area to keep intermediates happy. All the accomodation is rather close to lift access.

From what I've heard much better skiing than in places such as Bulgaria and the atmosphere and traditional French/Italian culture is present.

I stayed in on piste self catering accomodation at chritmas. Even at christmas 2 years ago it cost us £600 per person for the week including lift pass, transfer, lessons, flights to Turin, ski hire and accomodation.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've said it before - only ski in Eastern Europe if you are sure you won't need a doctor or hospital!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I really don't intend needing a doctor or hospital (but then who does?). Still, Eastern Europe is not getting much favourable feedback so I'll look into the French, Austrian and Italian resorts mentioned.

Thanks everyone.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Durham Red, Arabba, Corvara, Selva & Canazei in the Italian Dolomites have plenty of accommodation near the lifts that link these resorts together in a 510km linked area around the Sella Ronda, not mega-cheap but certainly good value compared to top French resorts.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://www.wtss.co.uk/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=100

one of the best links you will get for finding resorts. On the left handside find resorts by putting in your top three priorities. Then it will give you impartial quality advice on the suitable resorts.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Durham Red, I am assured by my Slovenian colleague that the medical care there is excellent, however, she usually skis in Switzerland or Italy.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Durham Red wrote:
Thanks. I'll look into that. Are in Sweden, Borovets in Bulgaria and the Skiwelt (again) are the frontrunners at the moment. Are would be perfect if I didn't abhor button lifts!

I wold not recommend Borovets to my worst enemy - it may have changed now of course (it's about 20 years since we were there) but I'm not tempted to go back to check Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Christopher wrote:
http://www.wtss.co.uk/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=100

one of the best links you will get for finding resorts. On the left handside find resorts by putting in your top three priorities. Then it will give you impartial quality advice on the suitable resorts.

That's an excellent resource, I already value the WTSS reviews, but this gives a rating out of 10 based on your personal criteria, very clever. Thanks for pointing it out!

Le Corbier, Flaine & Les Menuires come out on top based on the OP's criteria of cost, extent & convenience. Great if you don't mind ugly concrete! Shocked

My personal criteria of scenery, extent & mountain restaurants came up with my favourite Dolomite resorts that I recommended to the OP, also Megeve/St Gervais which I also enjoyed, so very accurate too

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 26-09-09 14:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Buy some skins.

Best value lift pass ever!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
"Where to Ski and Snowboard" would be better if it got its facts right. I've just done some checks on resorts I know well and some of the entries are bizarre. So they are probably just as inaccurate on resorts I don't know - so I'd be most reluctant to base a holiday choice on that site, without plenty of independent checking.
latest report
@Christopher, @luigi:

Glad you find WTSS useful and reliable. I thought you might like to know that the "shortlist builder" you have linked to is no longer available, but will shortly be replaced by a new improved version. We have rebuilt the whole site this summer, and that rather challenging bit isn't yet ready for public consumption. I'll post an announcement when it is.

@pam w:

All feedback welcome, of course. Would you be willing to give some examples of these "bizarre entries"?

cheers

Chris
latest report
onapairofmissions, Your "Find a resort" function doesn't seem to work.
snow report
Quote:

Your "Find a resort" function doesn't seem to work.

no, I couldn't make it work either. It couldn't even find "France" so I gave up.

When the site is mended I'd be happy to give some examples of the entries I found bizarre. One very odd thing is how Alpbach (which even in the guide itself is listed - very accurately - as having more cons than pros, and has a tiny ski area), has made it into the top 200 resorts in the world.

That's a matter of judgement, obviously. I'll give some specific examples of sheer inaccuracy once I can find my way into the resort entries. I thought it was just my slow dial up connection, but obviously rjs, is having the same problem.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy