Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Banff, Jasper or Lake Louise?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all.
I'm after a it of advice. Last minute has some deals to either Banff, Jasper o Lake Louise. After years of skiing various resorts in europe I fancied a bit of change. Has anyone been to any of the above, and there fore recommend one over the other.
We'll be snowboarding and wondered whether there'll be enough for us to do for a week or we'll be bored having skied in europes bigger resorts the last few years.
Thanks for any thoughts.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lake Louise - closer to the slopes/ a lot less nightlife cf Banff. Jasper very small town. I'd stay Louise & ride the skibus to Banff/taxi or Greyhound back for a couple of nights out.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stay in Banff and get a Tri Area pass - you get Lake Louise, Sunshine and Norquay. We did that in February this year - had two fantastic weeks boarding. Love the place.

Lake Louise is fantastic boarding/skiing area but it is the longest bus ride from Banff and the last buses are around 4.30 ish so it's best to get there early to get the most done. There are some wonderful runs through the trees especially over on the Larch area.

Sunshine is a little nearer than L Louise but you do have to get a long gondola ride up and back down although there is a ski out which is nice (and long) if it isn't too busy. Can get a bit flat in places though. Sunshine is fabulous with lovely wide open runs.

Norquay is the nearest to Banff and is the smallest of the three. Actually, if you are only there for a week and have a day at Norquay, you might feel as though it's a wasted day as it is quite small. When we were there the Canadian Ski Team were training there.

There were virtually no queues apart from one weekend when there was a Canadian equivalent of a bank holiday - avoid public holidays!

We stayed at the Inns of Banff which have the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in! Also has an outdoor hot pool. It is at the end of town but it is the first pick up and drop off for the ski buses which means you're guaranteed a seat! Local bus stop is right outside and the buses take you up town and back in minutes.

Damn it - I really want to go back there again Very Happy Have a great time wherever you go to Very Happy

Never been to Jasper - yet! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Get booked in to the Fairmont Springs at Banff, not the one at Lake Louise - Its awesome and reasonable prices. As well as all the above reasons for staying in Banff you have Kicking horse a 2 Hr drive away - seems a long way but well worth a 1 day visit from Banff.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Given the choice, I would go to Banff - Jasper is a looooong way from the airport, which is either a tiring 6 hour drive, or a long time to sit on a coach after a long flight. That said, Jasper is a nice place - I don't really do nightlife, but my (mid 20s) stepson said it was pretty good. I think Jasper is a better bet for one half of a fortnight 2 centre trip.

In Banff, I have heard mixed reports on the Banff Springs - it is a spectacular hotel, but I hear that the rooms are small and dated, and that almost everything costs. Depending on how you feel at the end of the day, it will be a taxi ride each way into town. We've stayed in downtown hotels each time (Ptarmigan and Banff Park Lodge) and would happily use either again. Some of the other hotels (and I think this includes Inns of Banff) provide a free, or cheap shuttle to the downtown area. Personally, I prefer to be downtown and have only a minute's stroll to restaurants, bars and shops.

The tri-area pass includes the shuttles to the three areas, if you don't, or don't want to, drive. It soulnds like Dobz was there the same time as us in February - Family Day weekend coincided with St Valentine's day, so sometimes there were queues a couple of minutes long!

I would give Norquay a miss, unless you are driving, in which case go there to see if it is to your taste - it is really the locals place and, each time we have been, bits have been closed for race training for part of the time.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi all thanks for the replies. I've just booked a week in Caribou lodge, seems a bit out of town but for the money including flights it was hard not too.
Just got to count the days now. any suggestions on cheap places to eat?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pinkcharlie28,

Agree - LL and Sunshine are best - esp for a week

If driving do take the parallel road to the highway back from LL to Banff - its through the Nat Park and backwoods - beautiful.

Again if driving watch out for the Mounties breathalyser check on the way out of LL - we owned up to a beer and went through the whole procedure - Afterwards a local told us we should have just denyed having had anything (wondered why the mountie asked if we were sure we had had a drink!) - if you say yes they are duty bound to check you in case you later have an accident and sue them for letting you continue to drive in an unfit state!

Banff is stacked with restaurants of all shapes and sizes and prices - you won't have a problem finding cheap - or good - not sure we found too many good and cheap though!

We stayed at High County which is 3 or 4 mins nearer the centre and walked in every day - rewarded ourselves with a beer once achieved - was not really cold though when we were there though.

It will be a great trip - enjoy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pinkcharlie28 wrote:
Hi all thanks for the replies. I've just booked a week in Caribou lodge, seems a bit out of town but for the money including flights it was hard not too.

Caribou seemed like a very nice place and the Keg restaurant serves steaks to die for, you wont be disappointed. As for being a bit out of town, it isnt really, you will see when you get there that anywhere along the main drag isnt really very far to walk. We took a stroll in and out of town in -35 degrees a couple of times and it was fantastically invigorating. If you really dont fancy the walk there is a regular bus service in and out of town. We only used that service because we managed to blag a complimentary bus ticket from the Inns of Banff reception - its amazing what angelic kids can get away with! Have a great time Im envious to say the least.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pinkcharlie28 wrote:

Check out my trip report from 2008 here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=992625

Hope it helps, you won't fail to have a good time!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We stayed in the Fox Hotel which is next to the Caribou and owned by the same company.

There is a ski bus stop right outside the Caribou so you get door to door service and as it is one of the earlier stops getting on is not usually a major issue, but even if you dont the marshalls are usually good at getting another bus along pretty quick.

We skied Sunshine and Lake Louise but not Norquay. Both were great....if you get a clear day (which is very likely) at either the views are great...especially Lake Louise.The bus trip is a bit of a pain, but the views make up for a good part of that pain

On eateries I second the Keg which is in your hotel. It is part of a chain -they have restaurants in Whistler and Vancouver- and does a good steak. I liked the bar in the Fox (next door to you) and the restaurant was ok . It is called Chilis...again a chain. If you want a burger and chips to go with your beer (as I did) then it hits the mark, as does the chili which I had. It is not fine dining, but then it doesnt pretend to be.

Your hotel (and a lot of others) are on Banff Avenue which is a long straight (ish) 4 lane road leading from the town centre to the town limits......you are maybe 3/4 of the way along out of town so it is a decent walk in but nothing to get excited about. It is completely flat. There is a bus service and if you dont fancy the walk back, there are cabs. When we were there there were no issues with ice or snow on the pavements, so it was an easy walk....though wrap up as it can get pretty cold in Banff....something to cover ears and fingers will be a good idea.

You will see a load of restuarants as you walk into town. We tried Caramba(again part of a chain and again in a hotel) which does Italian.....we liked our pizzas. We had been before to their restaurant in Whistler, Tony Romas....good for ribs/steak and a few others which we just picked because they looked ok from the outside....not terribly scientific I know but we never had a bad meal. They have a branch of Earls there -again we have eaten in their Vancouver and Whistler branches- but we couldnt get a table when we tried to get to the one in Banff.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
These sites will give some more info on places to eat.....having seen the list we went to Giorgios one night and Coyote Deli and Grill another ...not cheap but great food

http://www.banffdining.com/

http://www.dininginbanff.com/restaurants/restaurants.html
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy