Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can you carry helmets and snow chains in hand luggage?

Poster: A snowHead
There, this should be a nice safe haven for an argument............
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Better to just wear them on the flight .....

http://maskworld.scene7.com/is/image/maskworld/105070-beckenhaube-mit-kettengeflecht-kesselhaube-bacinet-with-chain-mail?$fullsize$
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I here ryanair are makign people with snowchains sit on the wings flying out of grenoble
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DB wrote:
Better to just wear them on the flight .....

http://maskworld.scene7.com/is/image/maskworld/105070-beckenhaube-mit-kettengeflecht-kesselhaube-bacinet-with-chain-mail?$fullsize$

Wow, and I applied for a job with them a couple months ago. A bit relieved I didn't get it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
helmets yes as i have done it myself, snow chains i'm guessing not as could be seen as being a handy tool if you wanted to knock out a few stewardess' and strangle the pilot. That said my helmet could probably cause an unsuspecting person a rather nasty head injury but chains i think would be a no no for sure.

Wasn't there a story on here last year where ryanair refused to let a guy carry his ski boots as hand luggage so he put them on instead snowHead genius until he was no doubt told it was an evacuation hazard to other passengers.

In jan i will be wearing the full gear bar the ski boots so i'm on the slopes by 11am. Easyjet will have 9 others like me in full kit ready to go whether they like it or not. wink alright so i might not wear my salopettes, helmet, snood and gloves but you get the point. snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski, Laughing Laughing Laughing

You'd be an idiot not to ski with snow chains, and getting up the steps to the aircraft at smaller airports should only be attempted with guide, chains, transceiver, avalung and full off-piste insurance. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
good point stoatsbrother, look out for peope dressed like this on planes this year...........this is not me I hasten to add Wink

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dlawless wrote:
Wasn't there a story on here last year where ryanair refused to let a guy carry his ski boots as hand luggage so he put them on instead snowHead genius until he was no doubt told it was an evacuation hazard to other passengers.

I saw a bloke spend an entire flight with his ski boots on, and was still wearing them on the transfer bus to the car park afterwards.

GVA->EMA, Feb 08, BMIBaby.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stoatsbrother Laughing

i didn't think you were allowed to fly with ryanair without an avalung? i wouldn't fly without one as i i dont want to catch swine flu! Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

In jan i will be wearing the full gear bar the ski boots so i'm on the slopes by 11am.

My brother in law tried that but they were delayed initially in the lounge, then on the ground, then going round in circles trying to land at Innsbruck, by which time he'd just about died of heat exhaustion and was wringing wet. He even had long johns on, having driven over the Snake Pass in a snowstorm en route to the airport.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
At Grenoble you probably could take your snow chains on to the aircraft but definitely not your helmet or boots!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I didn't think you were allowed to fly with ryanair without an avalung?

It counts as ski kit - so costs £80 to take one wef 1.10.09 Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you wear your crampons and carry your ice axes you're OK?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mosha Marc it will be fine, but not if you travel by Eurostar .
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mosha Marc i wouldn't dream of putting my ice axe in the hold and generally just carry it on. It's never really been a problem. I did however get a few funny looks when i wore my parachute on board during the last flight i took to geneva. Embarassed
latest report
dlawless, I think that shows a healthy sense of self preservation.

I've added it to my packing list.
latest report
So you are telling me that passengers can get away with carrying ice axes on in their hand luggage, but I risked a disciplinary action that could have led to me losing my job (as an airline pilot) by having 2 spoons of differing sizes and a bottle of bug spray in my flight case? Apparently I could have tried to scoop my own eyes out with the larger spoon and used the bug spray to make a bomb. I've also had a hotel-issue sewing kit taken off me - I could use the needle to try and take control of the aircraft. The deadpan security guard never flickered when I replied that it was a very serious situation indeed if the pilot needed to use a sewing kit to take control of the aircraft, because I am supposed to be in control of it all the time. And the number of pilots I know who are up before the company for 'drinking water violations' (ie accidently taking a bottle of water in their flight case through security - we pass through security multiple times each day,) doesn't even bear mentioning. But Joe Bloggs can have his axe. You learn something new every day!

Back to the thread - I would only put in your hand luggage what you would be happy with crashing down on your head if the overhead lockers failed, eg in turbulence or a very heavy landing. (Many of the passengers who died in the Kegworth crash survived the crash but burned in their seats, as their hands were broken by falling hand luggage on impact.) Wouldn't it be easier to hire chains when you pick the car up? They shouldn't be expensive to hire. As for the helmet, if it fits in your bag I can't see why an airline wouldn't let you take it on.
snow conditions
pandora, errr... most of this thread is actually a piss-take of recurring annual threads on this forum... Wink

Of course - I believe that you usually have an axe in the cockpit in any case. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Aha! I've fallen for the newcomer's trap!

Yes, we do have an axe. But it's not an equal rights society up there, so it doesn't mean everyone can have one!

BTW I could kill everyone on board with my bare hands - just need to shove that column forwards a bit. No need for axes, bug spray, spoons or even sewing kits. Only I can't say that - I get done for threatening the plane.

So - a prize to anyone who can get THREE spoons of different size through a security gate.
snow report
Sorry - double post. Computer going mad!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 29-09-09 21:12; edited 1 time in total
latest report
pandora, Don't worry, we've all fallen for it at some point... some of us still are... rolling eyes

I'm liking the spoon challenge, do we have a max/min size of spoons? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
The thing with the spoons is this - you are allowed to carry a single teaspoon, according to Heathrow's officious security staff. In my case the problem arose when I had a teaspoon and also an even tinier spoon. This cause a debate as to what constituted a teaspoon, as a teaspoon is theoretically the smallest spoon out there. They were worried that if the definition of the smallest spoon was a teaspoon, then a BIGGER spoon could not be a teaspoon, even if it were teaspoon sized. This is the way the brains of the security staff work.

So - go on. What is the biggest spoon you could blag as a teaspoon? I know the cabin crew have a mahoosive spoon in the galley for the purpose of lifting the great big teabag out of the teapots. You could probably get away with a salt spoon too, at the other end.

PS I do not want this post to be construed as encouraging people to break the law wrt airport security (I say this so if anyone figures out who I am I don't lose my job.) However, airport security is for the most part, a joke. I reckon someone out there probably has managed to get their climbing axe through too!

It's no wonder I need at least one skiing holiday a year after working in an environment like this for the other 51 weeks!
latest report
pandora, don't worry my pal had his 10 mm ring spanner confiscated at Stanstead...

His dad had fixed additional security to their Spanish villa with a locking bar bolted to the door to cover the rubbish yale type lock, but 'cus my pal didn't need luggage, he had the 'key' in his hand luggage. I suppose he could have used the spanner to start dismantling the aircraft a panel at a time.... security wouldn't explain why but were adamant that hand tools of any type were not allowed in the cabin...
ski holidays
Mate went through about 4 different bag checks when on a field trip in NZ with a pair of scissors in his bag. On the other hand somebody else didn't even get through Heathrow with a butter knife in her bag.
ski holidays
Sitter, My friend flew back from S Africa with a small cannister of CS gas attatched to her key ring, that had passed unnoticed through checks for 2 internal flights & then out of Jo'burg to Heathrow Shocked
snow conditions
pandora wrote:
So - go on. What is the biggest spoon you could blag as a teaspoon?

Sorry - just had to do it
latest report
pandora, You're just a stirrer....
ski holidays
Isn't the whole spoon thing covered by a column in Private Eye?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
At Prestwick my wife was asked to take off her arm brace (stookie) because it had a metal bar in it.

I said that she had a broken hand (true) and they said because she didn't have premission from a Doctor then she had to take it off. They were not happy when I said I am a Dr. Happy Granted I'm a Dr of biology but I just wanted to be cheeky Happy

Chers
Bob
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy