Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

This will test you!

Poster: A snowHead
Your help please...
This January's trip will see 2/3 newbies including my partner who has decided that she would like to give it a try after all. So we have a mixed group. 5/6 regulars and 2/3 newbies. So, I would like you suggestions as to where we might try. I'm keen to get my partner skiing and enjoying it, so I need to try to make sure it is a suitable resort and she has a great time.

We will need:

good size area
fairly snow sure
good apres
free / cheap beginers pass (the newbies will go into ski school)
not too expensive

I thought about Soldeu, but not sure whether it has enough for the regulars.

What springs to mind?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Saalbach/Hinterglemm.
Over 200km of piste and fantastic apres ski. Ski school available and good blues to progress to from the beginners area.
My only reservation would nave been the altitude of the resort, but you will be fine in January.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
andyjc, What about Les Deux Alpes. A number of free lifts at resort level and a reduced price pass covering some of the higher runs too. Plenty of tough stuff going up to 3600m so snow sure too. Inexpensive by French standards and has quite a lively nightlife.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Flaine?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

a reduced price pass covering some of the higher runs too

If by this you mean the Ski Sympa pass, it's only available by the day (not for the week) and gives you access to the Vallee Blanche side, which isn't something I'd recommend to beginners.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Avoriaz - although I certainly wouldn't want to stay there! Les Gets would be ideal for the newbs, and links into lots more the other peeps - snow normally fine that time of year, guess it couldn't be classed as snow sure though. . .
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davejsy wrote:
Avoriaz - although I certainly wouldn't want to stay there! Les Gets would be ideal for the newbs, and links into lots more the other peeps - snow normally fine that time of year, guess it couldn't be classed as snow sure though. . .

Personally I'd stay in Morzine. It means the beginners can head up Pleney for lessons and the experienced peeps can either ski Morzine / Les Gets; Avoriaz or go exploring around the Portes du Soleil. Les Gets is great, but adds that extra 30 minutes on if the more experienced skiers want to go off and explore.

Morzine is as snow sure as anywhere at that time of year.

[rant]

I'm constantly bemused by snow sure and altitude being necessarily linked together. Les Gets consistently opens skiing up earlier than Avoriaz - despite being a good 300-400m lower. Why? Because meadow needs less snow to cover than the rock that you get around 1800m upwards. I skied in Morzine and Mottaret in December last year. Morzine had way better snow cover.

[/rant]

andyjc - I think the most important thing to worry about is finding the newbies good lessons taught by native English speakers and being in a resort where there's other stuff for them to do if they want the afternoon off.

BASS Morzine are excellent, but there are good English speaking ski schools all over the alps.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 24-09-09 17:50; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lizzard, Not so good then, thought it covered Les Cretes too.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FlyingStantoni, speaks wisely, including his rant, with which I wholeheartedly agree.

Other points to ponder. When I have mixed groups to consider, there is a general "meeting for lunch" requirement - i.e. the ability to get to a decent resto at luncheon for everyone without stressing out the newbies now boring the regulars (I like that terminology, BTW). The PDS meets this admirably (it being arguably the best gastro area in the alps)

Nowhere is completely snow sure. Altitude brings its own issues/problems. Last season, in FR. CH and much of Italy (I have no visibility elsewhere) it almost didn't matter where or when you booked - you'd have been OK at worst.

What does "good apres" mean?

Anglophone ski schools can have their own share of poor instructors - and can be more expensive.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alpe d'Huez is meant to be good for begginers and good skiiers. Not the most pretty thought to get people enthused about skiing.

I think for French standards the apres ski is pretty good.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd say the least scary place I know of for beginners, which also offers plenty for advanced skiers, is Alpe d'Huez. That big bowl full of green runs is just so useful. It ticks your other boxes, too.

It also has an open air swimming pool, an ice rink and a sports centre with tennis, pingpong, covered swimming pool and climbing wall. Apres is ok but not Austrian standard.

And it's certainly nowhere as ugly as Plagne Centre or Tignes.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
achilles wrote:
Flaine?

We learnt to ski in Flaine with a similar mixed group, however the apres wasn't up to much. In fact we were disappointed when the others went to bed at 9.30
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Helen Beaumont, yes, I was wondering about that. I went with a very large group indeed - so we made our own apres.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles, we went back the following year, without our friends, and had a better time with other people we met there.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you want to convince the 1st timer woman, then pick a nice looking village for a start.

Sallbach can be that place as it shouldn't be too hard to get a decent hotel which isn't too far from the slopes..plus the 4*s used to a reasonable price for what they were..
If this is pilling on the money too much, then make clear that compromise.

Austria can typically be a a walk/bus to the slopes..which beginners might struggle with.. Ellmau or Soll, possibly, St Johan or check out where Snowcoach go as they run you around in their bus..or used to...

or pick one of the smaller villages in Val D arly or somesuch..

Morzine is a good choice... Les Gets maybe...
snow report
andyjc, Soldeu ticks all the boxes ok in my opinion, but then I'm biased. Likewise I agree with the other posters' suggestions re Saalbach, Les 2 Alpes, Morzine, and also think Alpe d'Huez would fit the bill.
If you can go the week beginning 16th January, have a look at the 'Freshers Week' beginners package deal available from any of the big 5 tour operators: the Newbies only have to pay for their travel/accommodation, but get their lift passes, equipment hire + tuition for free Very Happy
The deal covers Soldeu. It's also avail in Morzine; and 20-odd other resorts, including Zell am See and Val Thorens which would also be worth considering.
ski holidays
andyjc,
I think Christopher's suggestion of Alpe d'Huez is a good one, it satisfies most of your criteria.
good size area :- The area is massive, I think in the top 5 in France ? 300+ kilomeres of piste.
fairly snow sure :- Town is at 1700 / 1800 and pistes go up to 3000+. They have an ernormous array of snow cannons.
good apres :- Yes, but like everywher in France, not so cheap.
free / cheap beginers pass (the newbies will go into ski school) :- For absolute beginners there are some free drag lifts, it is possible then to get low altitude passes. I think you can also buy a pass loaded with 5 days say and use it on a day by day basis. For me though I would go for the more expensive Visalp pass because you can go anywhere and it lets the beginners meet up with the experts by using the higher lifts, it also gives you free acces to the swimming pools, sports & leisure centre and ice rink. You can also have a day in Les Deux Alpes or a trip up to the top station if the weather is good and enjoy the view at least.
not too expensive :- Access is probably as cheap as most via Grenoble or Lyon airport or TGV to Grenoble. It is probably one of the shortest and simplest to drive to. Self catering accomodation is probably as cheap as anywhere, unfortunately for me.
ski holidays
Quote:

BASS Morzine are excellent, but there are good English speaking ski schools all over the alps

not absolutely all over there aren't - and this is an important point as the choice of ski school is pretty important for the beginners. BASS Morzine are certainly good. Being able to get yourself to the ski school meeting place easily and quickly, and generally not having to trek around on buses is pretty important for lots of beginners too.

We all know what good slopes for beginners are - but what does "good apres" mean? Choice of welcoming restaurants and bars with fellow revellers who will not get in your face or vomit over you? Or loud cheesy music from 5pm, get pissed at cheaply as possible and still be at it loudly in the streets at 1 am? It all depends. wink
ski holidays
Good apres means all of the above. somewhere with a few lively bars with live bands,but also a few quieter bars and restaraunts. ages will be mainly 30 and 40 somethings. my main aim is getting my partner hooked.
snow report
I would also say that Soldeu will keep a more experienced skier entertained (kept me entertained for 8 years!) while offering the beginners the best English speaking ski school in Europe and infamous apres ski. It's not as cheap as it used to be, but it is still cheaper than most of the Alps.
ski holidays
I've been to soldeu a couple of times, a few years back now, when I was getting my sons addicted. I like the place but I'm just a bit concerned that it may be a little tame for the more advanced.
snow conditions
andyjc, I believe La Rosiere ticks all your boxes, its very snow sure, consistently rated as one of the top five French resorts for snow cover. The ski area covers over 150 kms of pistes both in France and Italy, with extensive off-piste including heli-skiing but the lift pass is not expensive, 155Euros last season for 6 days France and Italy.
There are free lifts for beginners, which are conveniently located close to the bars and restaurants at Front de Neige and Les Ecudets. There are a number of ski schools, so lots of competition and good standards of tuition. The ESF try especially hard to welcome English skiers/boarders and even hold a weekly time trial/race for English skiers and boarders as well as the weekly Fleche competition which is open to all.
The village is not nearly as expensive as the mega resorts nearby and IMO offers some of the best value in France, there's no uplift for drinks/food prices on the mountain compared to the village.
I wouldn't say the apres-ski is extensive but there are some very good bars and restaurants in the village which stay open late and have live bands at least once a week.
I'm biased, as I own a chalet in the village and my sons both run businesses there, if you want an idea of what La Rosiere can offer go to www.larosiere.net or www.morealps.com for details.
snow conditions
David L, apres ski is high on their agenda. I'm afraid your not going to convince anyone that La Rosiere has good nightlife and apres ski. It is such a family orientated resort, I can't believe that it has a buzzing nightlife.
snow conditions
I'm going to have a look at Morzine for a start. I've never been to PDS for some reason, I think I also have this mis-guided worry that their won't be enough cover,silly really. Any tips on accomodation?
latest report
I second Morzine, we had a great time there last year with a very mixed group, kids through to advanced skiers. Its a proper village with a lived in feel to it. Kids had great english speaking snowboard instructors, and English appeared to be widely spoken. PDS had great extent, and we enjoyed the mountain restaurants we met up at. Lift passes weren't cheap though.

We had metres of fresh powder half term week, it was awesome!
snow report
Christopher, have you been there? I don't think you have, because I posted ' I wouldn't say the apres-ski is extensive but there are some very good bars and restaurants in the village which stay open late and have live bands at least once a week' I'm not trying to convince anyone that La Rosiere is the apres-ski centre of the Haute Tarentaise but I've had as good a time out in the village as I've had in St Anton, Chamonix, or Val d'Isere, so I guess its just a matter of knowing where to go.
snow conditions
pandora,

What's early season snow like in Soldeu? I'm thinking of taking my teenage nephews for their first ever ski trip( Shocked ), but I'm limited to the late December/early January period because of school/uni vacations. - Everything I've heard about the ski schools suggests it would be a great place for them to learn (while I should be able to find something more testing to amuse myself while they're in classes), but I'm always nervous about snow conditions at that time of the year.
latest report
Choose a resort with a good ski school. It will make all the difference for your beginners. If they don't have a good experience in their lessons it is less likely that they will take to skiing. In my mind this is more important that the qualify of nightlife, range of terrain, etc, at least for your beginners.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David L, Admitadly I'm not in the best position to speak about nightlife in La Rosiere.

But after having researched La Rosiere for previous holidays, it doesn't have a nightclub for one and isn't reknowned for its nightlife as you point out.

I appreciate that you can enjoy an evening out in a bar. But when people ask for good apres, I dont deem that to be sitting in a standard bar.

It would be like me suggesting my favourite resort Serre Chevalier, which would be inappropriate as I dont believe resorts such as Serre Chevalier or La Rosiere have lively nightlife. However as friends of mine have told me Alpe d'Huez on their uni trips has decent apres for France.
ski holidays
Quote:

I dont believe resorts such as Serre Chevalier or La Rosiere have lively nightlife

And when did you last go out on the razzle in Serre Chevalier, young man? It has enough club-type nightlife to keep an entire First Choice staff team permanently hung over for the best part of six months, several of them for the second season running. I suggest that your Mum has not been letting you see the most exciting bits. Laughing
snow report
Christopher, well why did you comment when you've no experience of the resort, b]Lizzard[/b], is quite right. I don't deem sitting in a bar to be good apres but my comments are based on experience, unlike yours which appear to rely on the anecdotal comments of your friends.
latest report
Lizzard, I think Christopher was staying up in Monetier which is of course definitely not for those wanting lively nightlife. Laughing
snow conditions
andyjc, if you are going to plump for Morzine and BASS, I'd recommend Andy Jerram as an instructor - 110%. Andy is a BASI trainer of instructors and is the best instructor and skier I've encountered (he took my BASI course, plus I've skied with him every week over the summer).

As well as being a superb instructor, he's a nice guy t'boot (FlyingStantoni I am sure will confirm my views), so the newbies will get a really good grounding in skiing and I am sure will have a fun time too.
snow report
Acacia wrote:
pandora,

What's early season snow like in Soldeu? I'm thinking of taking my teenage nephews for their first ever ski trip( Shocked ), but I'm limited to the late December/early January period because of school/uni vacations. - Everything I've heard about the ski schools suggests it would be a great place for them to learn (while I should be able to find something more testing to amuse myself while they're in classes), but I'm always nervous about snow conditions at that time of the year.

It's like everywhere.
Normally they have enough snow, and, the have 1065 snowguns to assure snowcover for 50% of the grandvalira's domain.
latest report
If you will fly to Pyrenées, you could consider the option to lodge at Puigcerdà and to ski in Alp 2500.

Puigcerdà is a city of more than 10.000 inhabitants very animated, and the domain Alp 2500 (union between Masella and Molina) is one of the best of the whole Pyrenees. Good tree skiing in Masella, for begginers, and one of the best steeps in the higher parts.
Lodging in La Molina, is a very good option too.

http://www.masella.com/index.php

http://www.lamolina.cat/flashversion/index.asp
snow report
Funny you should mention the Pyrenees coz I was looking at Baerges/La Mongie ( i think that's correct). I have four to pay for this Jan' and pass prices for some of the big resorts are looking more frightning than ever. 3v at 211! Some of the not so popular places are obviously much cheaper, but i suppose the pay off is that maybe little apres and night life, don't get me wrong we are not big time 24 hour party people the skking is far more important but I do like a live band and a few beers when I come off the slopes...you know how it is! In fact one of my favourite places is the ski lodge in la tania.
Has anybody been to Risoul??
latest report
andyjc, Risoul would suit you - enough skiing for your regulars, nice beginner area close to the front de neige, plenty of on piste/close to piste accommodation. It has one nightclub, a few bars, several restaurants. reasonable prices.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy