Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Garmisch accommodation

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone have any recommendations on accommodation in Garmisch? We are specifically looking for somewhere within easy walking distance of the lifts or near a ski bus stop.

From the research I've done so far, our best bet appears to be the Atlas Posthotel but concerned only by some reports of noise at night. Otherwise it appears to be just the ticket.

Any views gratefully appreciated! We're planning a trip there very end of Jan/beginning of Feb to coincide with a gig in Munich.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Posthotel is right across from the train station, so it couldn't be easier for access to the the main ski area in Garmisch as well as the train up to the Zugspitze glacier. It lies between the towns of Garmisch and Partenkirchen, so you'll have to walk 5-10 minutes for much in the way of nightlife (although there is an Irish pub very close and I beleive a topless bar full of American servicemen right next to the hotel). Any noise complaints are probably the result of said topless bar. I actually don't believe the noise is that bad.

The main drag in Partenkirchen has a lot of quaint hotels and pensions that would be a little cheaper, but it is also farther from the skiing and dead at night. There are also more expenisve hotels aroung the main square in Garmisch, but again they are farther from the skiing and maybe louder at night.

On my last trip there, we tried to book the Posthotel, but it was full. We ended up at a pension in Partenkirchen whose name escapes me now. It was cheap and fine; I'll see if I can jog my memory. The booking tool on the Garmisch website works pretty well, but a lot better if you speak German.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My apologies, I've managed to completely confuse myself.

The Atlas-Posthotel is indeed not next to the train station but rather on the main square (Marienplatz) in Garmisch. It is one of the finer hotels in Garmisch and as far as I know there is no topless bar full of American servicemen next door. This is close the best restaurants, but also the main discos, so it could be loud at night I guess.

The place I stayed last time was the Post Hotel, which for some reason is listed on some websites as the Atlas Grand Hotel (see the source of my confusion?), on the main street in Partenkirchen (Ludwigsstrasse). This is a picturesque building on the picturesque street, but it's pretty dead most of the time. The area looks more traditional than anywhere else in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, and there are a lot of hotel restaurants. During the day, you'd expect this area to be quite active after dark, but in reality all the action is centered around Marienplatz. This does mean it's quiet, but you also have to walk a bit to get the ski bus or any apres. Prices are much lower than the Atlas-Posthotel, I think.

The hotel near the station is the Hotel Garmischer Hof.

Sorry for the mix up. The fact is that most hotels in Garmisch are of quite a good standard, and most are reasonably priced. You'll do better to stay away from the major chains, as the independents are usually quite a bit less expensive.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ami in berlin, cheers for that, i'm sure my girlfriend will be most disappointed not to be based next to a topless bar full of American servicemen Toofy Grin

I'm assuming that it doesn't take too long to walk from Marienplatz to the ski lifts? Otherwise ski bus opposite should be fine.

I speak a little German so I'll use the Garmisch website as you say, thanks for the heads up.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The ski lifts are a ways outside of town (5-10 minutes by bus or train), and you certainly would not walk from Marienplatz. There will be a bus stop right there, though. The train station is also less than 5 minutes from Marienplatz, and from there you can get the cog-railway to the main slopes or all the way up to the Zugspitze.

If you are there for more than a couple days, I'd highly recommend taking the train a bit farther (20 min) to Lermoos. It's a great little area and never crowded. Bichelbach/Berwang is a little farther and has a few nice runs, and Mittenwald is 30 min away by train and has one of the great off-piste runs. These areas are all included on the multi-day lift ticket as well. If you have a car it obvioulsly takes less time to reach those areas.

Also if you have a car, don't take the cog railway from Garmisch up to the Zugspitze. You can save yourself a lot of time by driving to Ehrwald and taking the cable car.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy