Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Memmingen to St Anton by car, how?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ryanair have some cheap flights to this place, 90k west of Munich. We normally go from main Munich airport to Kitz. Anyone know about the drive from Memmingen to St Anton...thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pfander tunnel, bregenz, otoway all the way
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
do a search on this site. This was covered not to long ago.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Head from the airport towards Kempton and at the big A7/A96 junction join the A96. Get on the A96 in the direction going to Lindau (that's what it indicates on the signposts). Keep on it when it tells you to turn off for Lindau and follow signs for Bregenz the follow the signs for the Arlburg (Bludenz Klosterle come first)

It is motorway all the way to Bregenz, then you MUST have the Austrian vignette for the Arlberg Schnellstrasse (currently costs about €7.50 for 10 days). The Arlberg Tunnel costs extra then follow the signs to St Anton. The village is divided up into zones and the road points you towards each zone individually as I remember. One of the locals is bound to pipe up and blather on about the current situation, so don't worry. Might be useful to have a map or an address and zone from your accommodation.

There is another route via the Fern Pass (A7 to Füssen) but this can be long and slow once you leave the German motorway. The A96 is slightly longer but it does not have anywhere near the same number of hold-ups. It is also a major transit route so it has highest priority for snow clearing should it blow up nastily.

Do stick to the speed limits as indicated as the police are quick to catch racers. The Austrians like getting cars with German number plates so stick to their speed limits too!

Ask again for an update nearer the time and I'll look up any hold-ups for you. Good thing is that in winter (December through to end of Feb/March) there are no major road works due to the winter conditions. After that they can be rather extensive, but I think other than resurfacing the A96 is not going to be a problem. The last section is opening in November, then it will be complete from Munich via Kempton to Bregenz (Austrian border). The last section of the A7 to Füssen has just opened this summer, but as I said the route from there on can be really slow.

Sue wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sue is right, the pass is slow, use the motorway through the pfandr tunnel. Be sure to get a vignette at the services BEFORE the tunnel, it's too late after that.

The Arlberg tunnel costs around 8eu, but is far quicker than taking the Arlberg pass.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You could also look at Friedrichshafen with Ryanair as it is even closer to St.Anton...... Also I would say that the tunnel is not much quicker than the pass unless the weather is crap. In fact if you are staying at Oberdorf then the pass is quicker..... nice scenery too and you save 8.5 Euro!! There are directions on my Website from Friedrichshafen to St.Anton and these can easily be used from the Austrian Border if you are coming from Memmingen (http://www.st-antonamarlberg.co.uk/getting_to_st_anton.html) Def make sure you get the vignette, it is less than 10 Euro for 10 days and the fines are high. If you hire a car ask for one with winter tyres......
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sidneyreilly wrote:
Def make sure you get the vignette, it is less than 10 Euro for 10 days and the fines are high.

+1

I did this route from Friedrichshafen airport up to the Arlberg in March, there's a place to buy the vignette from the nice lady behind the counter inside a grim-looking building at the services by the border. Make sure you stick it on the windscreen. The Austrian Highway Patrolman looked rather disappointed he couldn't fine us when checking our German-plated hire car a short way down the road, beware!

The Arlberg Pass road could be worth doing if it's daytime and the conditions are OK, if it's snowing or dark, use the Tunnel. Make sure you get the snow tyres, they really improve grip and braking and they're pretty much compulsory in winter in Austria and some vehicles were struggling on the steep gradient at St Christoph.

For clarity, there are 2 tunnels on this route, the Pfander Tunnel (7km) right after the border, this is included on the motorway vignette. The Arlberg Tunnel (14km) is the option to avoid the mountain pass and costs €8.50 extra.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
motorway 96 heading towards Bregenz. This will take you to the German / Austrian border, if your car does not have an Austrian tax disc you must purchase one here, (they are not expensive - you are not in the UK now!) Once through the border stay on the motorway, you will pass through a long tunnel under Bregenz. Once through the tunnel you continue for about another 50km until the road becomes single carriageway. Continue for about a further 15km and then the road once again becomes dual carriageway. Continue through a couple of short tunnels until you go through a very long tunnel of several kilometres - this is the Arlberg tunnel - and at the end of it you exit to St.Anton. There is a small toll for using this tunnel. If you do not wish to use the Arlberg tunnel then at the end of the second short tunnel take the exit that is signposted to St.Anton / Lech & Zurs.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Here is a list of fuel stations that sell the vignette, if any use http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=54720
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You can buy a vignette at any of the motorway service areas on the approaches to Austria. Don't wait until the border as there can be large queues at busy periods. It costs the same wherever you buy it.

All cars hired at airports in southern Germany have winter tyres from November through to April. The car companies would be liable for all their own costs if the hired cars that were involved in accidents in winter otherwise. In Austria between certain dates (not exactly sure when it starts, but it ended on 15th April this year) you have to have snowchains in your car if you are going into the mountains, using mountain roads. The Arlberg Pass would count as this. So if you are only driving to and from the resort, weight the relative costs of hiring chains or going through the tunnel!

A lot of people say that the Fern Pass route is faster but they have obviously been very lucky and never encountered the convoys of caravans and trucks that use the route, especially trucks from NE European countries. For me the risks were too high of being caught behind slow-moving traffic, especially at the weekends and at the start of holidays. Once you are down at Imst you have to have the Vignette any way as well and the road is much slower as they are taking forever to finish the Innsbruck to Arlberg section of the autobahn/schnellstrasse! I actually used to live along that route and still drove over to the A96 as I wanted to spend my day skiing not sitting behind some stinking convoy of slow or stopped lorries and/or Dutch bloody caravans! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Sue wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stupid question, thinking of heading again in late feb can the rute to ts anton via public transport ? Driving in the snow isn't a fav of mine.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Assuming Memmingen has a train station, then yes it's do-able. Check out http://www.oebb.at/en/index.jsp brings up the train times.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Should have said thanks earlier...thanks!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy