Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowheads, garrulous twits, errant twoddle

Poster: A snowHead
From the SCGB forum yesterday (directed at Jayne Durham, who had noted the lack of activity in the forum at the height of the ski season)...

"My advice is if non-members feel the loss of the forum, then join the SCGB and start participating again. I am at last getting really bored by all this whingeing by a minority of garrulous twits. So clear off to Snowheads of whatever you are called and get on with it. Remember there are 20000 plus members who could not give an iota for the errant twoddle that you have trotted out since Feb 5. So get a life, join the SCGB, or just buzz off!!"

Made me laugh!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Er, don't they realise that all the non-members, by definition, have buzzed off?

It's the members who are aggrieved at the lack of activity precisely because of this reason!

I'm not a member, so can't see what's being posted, but I'd imagine that 99% of the posts are either talk about MO day or posts by DG...

[edit: just realised you meant it was directed at Jayne, not posted by her]
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Certainly not posted by Jayne - who is one of the few brave souls keeping the SCGB forums going!

Perhaps DG should consider garruloustwits.org or erranttwoddle.net as a name for his independent SCGB members' discussion site!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jayne Durham performed the most effective and constructive action since 'members only' day, by launching a petition of members who wanted non-members re-admitted.

To date, 84 SCGB members have put their names to that petition. From what I can glean from the various postings on this, 3 SCGB members (which include 2 members of the Council) have expressed the view that non-members should be excluded.

As for the comments directed at Jayne, it's interesting that they're written by someone who claims to represent the views of "20000 plus members."

We shall see.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It would be interesting to know how many of the 20000 plus members of the skiclub

1) are aware of the website
2) are aware fo the forum
3) have browsed the forum
4) have posted to the forum
5) agree that only members shold be allowed to use the forum
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Steven wrote:
From the SCGB forum yesterday (directed at Jayne Durham, who had noted the lack of activity in the forum at the height of the ski season)...

"...a minority of garrulous twits."

Woohoo, I'm part of a minority, does this mean I can get government aid now?

As for being a "garrulous twit", that's the biggest compliment I've had in years.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We could apply for government funding of this site.....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
he's right about one thing - garrulous is just what the SCGB boards are not these days!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am glad we can all be "garrulous twits" here. The SCGB forum, for those of you not wasting your money with them, is virtually dead. DG pointed out on the forum that nothing had been posted for 12hours this week. I just got an answer to a question here in the resorts section in about 5 minutes. Yippee Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Since the "whingeing by garrulous twits" must be on here, it can only be that it is a closet Snowhead who thinks so.

Or are there some garrulous twits still contributing to the SCGB site?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Come on David.....it's wrong to quote someone without giving them proper reference.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The person responsible for the "whingeing by a minority of garrulous twits" comment on the SCGB site calls himself David Snell
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I can only praise Jayne on her most excellent response!

I can see why the adherents of the SCGB members only forum might get wound up by the frequent mentions of the current superiority of snowHeads but it is really hard not to point it whilst you're there. I have made the odd contribution...making me another "garrulous twit" I suppose. Wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So, it sounds like the "garrulous twits" actually form the MAJORITY of SCGB posters then??
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Actually I think the majority of new threads come from just one person ...... David Goldsmith Shocked
snow report
Hold on, I think I have skied with David Snell. In Whistler. If it's who i think it is, well, he's welcome to having a forum all to himself.
snow conditions
Let's not make this personal - it's the very reason I didn't name and shame!
snow conditions
Hey there's a thought, what about approaching the SCGB and pointing out that since the majority of posters to their forum are also members of this one they should close down theirs and donate the money to this place Laughing
ski holidays
There were a fair few posters just like him. Fortunately they haven't bothered coming over here. Leaving just the good ones.
Makes it feel even more like home. Even the knuckledraggers are being nice. Wink
snow conditions
Stop press. Laura Zachary has popped up on the thread concerned and deemed the comments (which David Steven quoted above) unacceptable. Moderation will take place, she says.

Since I don't moderate Snowheads, I don't know how much moderation is proving necessary here, or who's doing it. Are the moderators listed somewhere? It's occurred to me that moderated posts could be sent to a 'sin bin'. Or have I misunderstood the concept of moderation? Does the moderator communicate with the writer to agree a revised post?

The new SCGB members forum will be set up very shortly, so I guess I need to wise up on the protocol.
latest report
David, if you look to the top right of the page you will see a link to "usergroups", you can see there who the moderators are I think
snow report
Maybe they dish out yellow cards...
snow report
In another board I use - the moderation is clearly marked on the original post, which is clear, transparent and doesn't break the flow of the thread.

So you would see something like this if I suddenly flipped (which is always) possible and started to tell various people to (cut)

This post has been edited by Fred Smith to remove bad language and personal insults.
ski holidays
which is pretty much what Laura has done over on SCGB... though the difference is that moderators from within a community tend to be quicker on the scene...
latest report
Moderation policy here is that 'lightness of hand and fleet of foot is best'.

If necessary a post that one of the piste patrol considers in-appropriate will be taken out of the public view whilst the matter is discussed with the original poster via PM.
It rarely goes so far though: usually a 'quick snip' and a PM to the poster about why, is all that's needed.

Looks like Jayne's created the liveliest thread on scgb in quite a while there though Wink
ski holidays
markP, not true - he's registered as a user, but hasn't posted. Maybe he's lurking around right now?!?
latest report
Oooh, I cybersquater. Wonder if his ears are burning then...
latest report
A learned (?) discourse on "errant twaddle".

Errant is often used to mean mistaken or erring, but an earlier and more often used meaning is, like in the sense of an errant knight, someone seeking adventure or enlightenment. This seems pretty appropriate to the sport of skiing and its discussion here.

Be proud of our errant twaddle! Twaddle users unite in our quest!

Blake: Listen to the fool's reproach. It is a kingly title.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Now we are presented a moderators dilemma - the original insult has been removed at source but is available here!

Moderators are currently identified by 'Moderator' written in green beneath their username - except myself...should you feel that something needs moderating then contact one of us by PM rather than relying on us reading a complaint 'in thread'.
ski holidays
Quickest way to contact a moderator (admin is obviously one too) is to go back to 'snowHeads Forum Index' (home page) scroll the the bottom and see if one of us is online. If we are, click on our name. This brings up our profile which has a convenient 'send pm' button.
ski holidays
Perhaps U could have a "complain about this post"/"alert moderator to this post" button next to each post? Then it would be easy for people to "report" naughty posts that have got past the highly complex poo-poo and funny fellow generator.
snow report
David Snell has just posted an appology for his rudeness ... Shocked
latest report
I'll accept it Very Happy
snow conditions
masopa, good idea but I'm sure snowHeads are far too nice to make such a thing worth the effort, Little Angel
I like to think there aren't many funny fellows around here Wink
snow report
admin wrote:
masopa, I like to think there aren't many funny fellows around here

Damn, and yet I try so hard Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
marc gledhill, I'd like to think that you're funny in the true sense of the word Wink
ski holidays
(marc does know about the word censor?)
ski holidays
I'm not sure.....I guess probably not rolling eyes
latest report
Eh? Well, I've heard of the word.
snow report
U brain has built in a word censor that automatically changes naughty words into "more desirable" phrases. For exampe poo-poo was probably typed as a 4 letter word beginning with S. Similarly, funny fellow started out life as something else. Try it out, by previewing your post, rather than submitting it.....however, if anything nasty does get through, then please remove it - or moderator Ian will be after you snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy