Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which 3 resorts out of 6?

Poster: A snowHead
Okay, the time has come to choose 3 hotels out of 8 in order of preference for the forthcoming season, they are in 6 different resorts. Obviously I've seen the reviews of the hotels and you lot have't, but which resorts would you choose out of:

Les Menuires
Valloire
Alp d'Huez
Le Plagne
Serre Chevalier
Tignes

I have my own opinions on some of these resorts and could choose three however not sure in which order to put them in (1, 2, 3)!

Just interested in opinions, a few words as to why Tignes over Alp d'Huez etc. As I say I have seen the hotels and some are nicer than others so resort is only part of the equation!

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My pick;

Tignes - I've been and know it's good skiing.

Alp d'Huez - always wanted to go from reports I've heard/read.

Les Menuires - again, I've been to the area and like the skiing.

I haven't been to them all though, so can't compare directly.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
manicpb, my views would vary depending on what weeks you wish to be away (e.g. I wouldn't probably consider Valloire in April)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
La Plagne (Belle Plagne is good, ski area great)
Les Menuires (ugly, but fantastic skiing in 3V) - but not second place if you are fairly new to skiing and wouldn't do much distance
Alpe d'Huez (fantastic for beginners and great for other levels too)

Not been to the other three but that is the order I would put those three in.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Freddie Paellahead wrote:
manicpb, my views would vary depending on what weeks you wish to be away (e.g. I wouldn't probably consider Valloire in April)

Sorry, the whole season! Very Happy

Just off to the pub with brochure to mull it over!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
manicpb, who's going? What sort of skiing do they like? (Off-piste couloirs vs motorway mileage vs beginner bunnies)? Are you after a quaint resort with charm and character or do you want ski-in ski-out convenience and don't mind staying somewhere that resembles a nuclear bunker?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
manicpb wrote:
Freddie Paellahead wrote:

Sorry, the whole season! Very Happy

Just off to the pub with brochure to mull it over!

Jammy bastwerd! Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
La Plagne huge area lift conneccted to Les Arcs to make even huger area.
Tignes large area many and varied lifts and terain and connected to Val d'Isere (eat and drink in Tignes)
Of the others I know Les Menuires but none of the remainder, Serre Chevalier always seems well spoken of.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tignes

Alpe d'huez

Serre Chevailer
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
tignes serre chevalier and alpe dhuez - I wouldbe tempted by courchel or st martin but not les menuires.all 3 of my choices have god intermediate and advanced skiing . Tines is a little weak on beginners skiing. Valloire doesn't tempt me. La Plagne was possibly least favourite reosrt as th on piste skiing was very motorway like and too much poling on one or two pistes.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I had thought of voting for Alpe d'Huez in the "where wouldn't you go back to" thread. I have only been there at Easter and the snow was very wet. The same trip had the following week in Serre Chevalier with much better snow. Not been to Valloire but I think Tignes would be top of my list.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
manicpb, so are you as interested in nightlife and atmosphere as in skiing then - it makes a diferrence.

Les M - great skiing from mortuary like night life
Tignes - great skiing from pretty brisk night life
Serre Che - Really interesting skiing and resorts family orientated so night life not stunning
Alpe d'Huez - ditto, but ugly resort
La Plagne - Middle of the road in both respects but a great glacier for those days off.
Valloir - not been, but there may be a reason for that...

so my 3 are Tignes, Serre Che and Alpe d'Huez, but I'm not you Puzzled
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My preferred order would be:

Les Menuires - excellent access to three vallées (but ugly resort)
Tignes - great skiing area
Le Plagne - ditto - I like the area
Alpe d'Huez - nice!

I can't comment on Valloire or Serre Chevalier
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
manicpb, Serre Chevalier is usually my preferred option (well it would be), but of the remaining resorts I have only skied in La Plagne, so can't really compare your choices. We were very low intermediate skiers for most of our La Plagne trips. The last trip had a lovely hotel, Ancolie in Champagny-en-Vanoise, but probably die to snow conditions, the skiing was rather tame, lots of reds and blacks not open. We have only stayed in self-catering accommodation in Serre Che. Which hotel is it in Serre Chevalier,? That might also have an affect on my decision.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've been to and skied in and stayed at all six.

I enjoyed them all but for different reasons.

Les Menuires - soulless, but who cares when the area is so vast.
Valloire – Prettyish village, smaller amount of skiing than the others. Young family resort perhaps.
Alp d'Huez – Great views, varied skiing most of the harder runs are up high.
Le Plagne – Motorway heaven. Ski in ski out especially the higher resorts.
Serre Chevalier – Big area, depends which town you stay in.
Tignes – Vast, snow sure, My favourite especially pre Christmas when it’s not crowded.

If the snow is good you would enjoy them all.
snow conditions
Thanks all,

As expected I think Tignes got the biggest thumbs up, followed by les Menuires (if not the prettiest). Alp d'Huez and Serre Chevalier got mixed reports (some like, others don't) but just one comment on Valloire!

This is dissapointing because the nicest hotel is in Valloire and was hoping for a few more comments on the ski area as it's the one I know NOTHING about!

Finding this decision pretty hard. Want a great ski area but not live in a dump for five months, will sleep on it and leave the decision till tomorrow evening!
ski holidays
Novemebr - Tignes (snowsure)
December - Tignes (snowsure)
January - Alpe d'Huez (sunny south facing slopes will be less chilly than the other resorts)
February - Valloire (not as stupidly busy than the others during French school holidays)
March - Serre Chevalier (north facing runs to avoid spring conditions but plenty of treelined runs if the weather is bad)
April - Tignes (glacier to avoid slush by late morning)
ski holidays
manicpb, It depends what you want.
Le Menuires. Its the three Vallees. ( that will do for me! ). Apparently it has a facelift according to the Crystal brochure. ( It needs it !)

La Plagne. All round fantastic. Good for beginners and Paradiski has some rock hard blacks. You can ski all day if you want to go to Les Arcs.

Alpes d'Heuz I'm not as keen on. But sunny.
ski holidays
manicpb,
I've skied all six though have only stayed in three of them,for me it would depend a little bit on what my proorites are and whether or not I had a car.

Les Menuires Ugly resort in an ugly area and expensive to boot, I would avoid.

Valoire pleasant resort with good intermediate skiing and probably the least expensive option good scenery but may find the skiing slightly limiting for a season.

La Plagne, personally I prefer resorts that are not purpose built and might would probably find I got cabin fever in a place like La Plagne for the season. For skiing a single resort though it has massive attractions. Combined with Les Arcs the area is very large and varied. It is good ina ll kinds of weather as there is excellent tree lined sking as well as a (small) glacier. and decent North facing skiing. The off piste does not get skiedout as quickly sa in Tignes and is varied and very good.

Tignes Expensive and ugly but compensates with some very good skiing. In bad weather though you are likely to be staring at the walls of your hotel.

Serre Chevalier
My own choice as I love the place. If you have a car the seasons lift pass covers several days in 2 Alpes, Alpe d'Huez, Puy St Vincent and Milky Way. The expenses would be less than the purpose built resorts and La Grave is close by. It also has very good sking of its own. If you do not have a car the skiing in Serre CHe is not quite as extensive as in the pupose built resorts butt hte ambience is a real plus.

Alpe d'H. Can't say I know it well and have only birefly visited it. Arno, gives excellent write ups of the skiing and particularly the relatively quiet off piste. The town is not one of Frances most attractive.

Personally I would go for Serre Che ,La Plagne or Alpe d'H but I cannot imagine that you would not enjoy a season in any of them even Les Menuires though It would be bottom of my personal list.
latest report
1. Tignes;
2. Les Menuires;
3. Serre Chevalier.
snow report
manicpb, this is SkiBound, I seem to remember.

Tignes - huge hotel, shedloads of work, wouldn't touch it, frankly.
Menuires - also large hotel and if they still operate the terrace you'll be doing lunch shifts all season rather then just on schools weeks.
Valloire - two hotels, no other TOs, tight staff team. Popular with returners, so it must be good.
Alpe d'Huez - biggish hotel, but not the monster that is Tignes 2100. Lots of other seasonnaires in resort.
La Plagne - couldn't say.
Serre Chevalier - small hotel, good manager (been there for donkeys, knows her stuff, fair and reasonable), right next to the lift.

I recommend the Frejus in Serre Chevalier for good skiing, slope time, good atmosphere amongst staff/guests/other seasonnaires, general work/life balance. Your lift pass covers 2Alpes and Alpe d'Huez as well.

Remember that you will be living and working in whatever resort - people here are giving you a one-week holiday point of view, which isn't the same thing.
snow conditions
In order of preference:

Serre Chevalier - friendly feel when I went there as a piste skier - and reportedly great off piste.
Alpe D'Uez - caters for all levels (personally I would look at staying in Vaujanay - But ADH itself is acceptable).
Tignes - Unless something radical has happened since I was there, le Lac and Val Claret are no architectural gems - but the skiing area is fantastic.
snow conditions
achilles, staying an Vaujany will eat his entire season's wage in a month and make him late for work. Laughing
snow report
Lizzard, That's a point Very Happy Must admit I have never costed staying there - just liked the look of it when I was skiing from ADH.
snow report
It might help to split this post into two, with answers to:

a) Which three resorts would you go to over the period Nov/Dec to March/April, staying one week in each as a paying guest ?

b) Which three resorts, in order of preference, would you most like to spend a whole season in while working as a waiter or kitchen assistant ?
snow conditions
Quote:

b) Which three resorts, in order of preference, would you most like to spend a whole season in while working as a waiter or kitchen assistant ?

.... in SkiBound's hotel in that resort. The job varies a great deal from onr employer/property to another.
snow report
For me it'd be Serre Chevalier, main reason why you wouldn't is if you partial to wild apres ski and nightlife. The skiing is exceptional and the area is beautiful and has lots of great skiing for day trips. If your into your off piste with La Grave just don't the road and with Serre Chevalier's own it is worth putting it up their with the likes of Espace Killey.

I'd also contemplate Alpe d'Huez and probably Tignes as from what I've heard about them they are great resorts.
snow conditions
Again thanks for the replies!

Lizzard, you remembered right it is SkiBound. I did hotel searches on TripAdvisor and they all seem mediocre so have pretty much plumbed for the resorts I fancy which are...Tignes and Alp d'Huez (they have two hotels there)!

I'm set to be constant night porter (not swaping with Kitchen Assistant), I expect to do the odd other shift but generally should have the chance to board for half a day at least most days so needed a reasonably large area (prob with Menuire is you don't get the 3V pass in the deal). Had a couple of mates in Tignes last year who loved it and Alp d'Huez has 2000m vertical uplift (the most out of the resorts listed except La Plagne, Tignes coming in 3rd at just under 2000m) which has made me go for these two. Went against La Plagne 'cause I dont think I'd like to live in a true ski in-ski out resort I like 'real' towns.

Just another question about Tignes, I only get the Tignes pass not the Killy pass (will splash out on a few visits to Val d'isere) I'm expecting Tignes to be pretty big to explore am I kidding myself?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
manicpb, Tripadvisor is pretty irrelevant here because a) they are schools hotels, therefore basic and unlikely to attract glowing reports from adults and b) you're staff and your priorities will be half decent accommodation, ski-friendly shifts, chef who doesn't l
make you clean the oven every night .............. etc.

Quote:

I'm set to be constant night porter (not swaping with Kitchen Assistant)

God, how dire. Or are you not bothered about having any social life?
snow report
Lizzard, sounds crap to me.
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
manicpb, Tripadvisor is pretty irrelevant here because a) they are schools hotels, therefore basic and unlikely to attract glowing reports from adults and b) you're staff and your priorities will be half decent accommodation, ski-friendly shifts, chef who doesn't l
make you clean the oven every night .............. etc.

Quote:

I'm set to be constant night porter (not swaping with Kitchen Assistant)

God, how dire. Or are you not bothered about having any social life?

It's two weeks on one week off, so think I can cope on that arrangement and not to bothered about clubbing more a pint in a quiet bar type of bloke can't hack the hangovers or comedowns now a days! wink

Most the reviews said the hotels were run by teenagers so guess I could very well be the oldest there so i have a head start of shifting workloads onto other people! Also night porter gets a room to their self rather than sharing with some messy tw*t. Well aware things change when out there but this was definatly the best option to suit my lifestyle, used to 12 hour shifts so 12am-8am should be easy!

Thanks for your concern though wink !
latest report
I have gone on a trip the last 4 years and the organiser goes through ski-bound, mainly due to cost.

But next year I am giving it a miss because the trip is going back to Tignes. Not because it's Tignes I am actually going there myself the week after, no the reason I am not going is the hotel "Tignes 2100", this is the lousiest excuse for a Hotel I have ever experienced, even by French rabbit hutch standards.

The Belle Aurore in ADH is OK good access to Piste and Bars
The Piolet in Les Menuires is OK, but the Skillit is far better positioned, the Skilit bar is a regular for Apres

I believe the Tignes 2100 is no longer in the ski-bound brochure, but at the time of booking earlier this year it was. So the booking has been honoured and they are still going there.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy