Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

You got to be able to do it to teach it ??

Poster: A snowHead
Following from skir67's can of worms.

Is the main difference between instructing and coaching that with instructing you are teaching someone with a lower ability than your own, but with coaching it's sometimes the other way round..
Not for the moment saying that most coaches can't perform to a good standard, but instructors have to or they’ll soon be looking for work.

If I teach a class on an introduction to mogul skiing then I “must” be able to ski moguls to a high enough standard so that I can break down the movements into individual elements. But, a coach leading a session with a high quality racer just need to know how to do it, not necessarily be able to perform at that level.

Just thought I'd open the can wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wayne, I think you opened and closed that can very well.

Same scenario in Football. The "Manager" (Coach) couldn't run after the ball to save his life in some teams, but delivers all the strategy and tactics.

But the teams Fitness Instructor is normally built like a cheetah without an once of fat wink And takes the team/players through there paces by demonstration.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sooner or later a teacher has to recognise when his pupil is overtaking him. Even an instructor can reach a point where a pupil is better than them.
But, an instructor or coach does not have to demonstrate a point themselves. They can use other members of a group who can do it, or use video aids, or say do this, but faster /better.

You could say a teacher is someone showing how it is done, an instructor tells you to do it and a coach coaxes you to do it, or you could just call it all semantics, I agree.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
beequin wrote:
But, an instructor or coach does not have to demonstrate a point themselves..

I'll tell the trainer that on the ISTD tech - will you write me a letter (like my mum used to do for PE) so I have proof that I don't have to do it Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
...once they have the badge. Of course, it may help if they do.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
beequin,
are you being badgeist in a public forum, shocking

beequin wrote:
Sooner or later a teacher has to recognise when his pupil is overtaking him. Even an instructor can reach a point where a pupil is better than them.

At that point do they not stop being an instructor and become a coach?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You can see quite a few race coaches who have not changed their own skiing style since the days of 2m+ straight skis, I'm not convinced that they really understand what they are asking their trainees to do.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

an instructor or coach does not have to demonstrate a point themselves

One of the points on the (volleyball) copaching course I went on was "explain what you want, then get someone else to demonstrate, so you don't look like a tit when you get it wrong"
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nbt wrote:
One of the points on the (volleyball) copaching course I went on was "explain what you want, then get someone else to demonstrate, so you don't look like a booby when you get it wrong"

But, when you have a class in a ski school there isn't anyone else to do the demos for you ?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wayne, better not get it wrong then Smile

I agree with your point though - total beginners need to be shown. You need to be better than them. As people get better and become aware of the mechanics, you don't necessarily need to be good at something to be able to point out how others can improve - e.g I went to volleyball training last night, I'll never be good enough to play at that level but I could see small points where the other guys could improve.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
coaching skiing isnt about standing around, talking and not demonstrating. IMO you need to have a good eye to spot flaws and then be able to demonstrate drills and movement patterns to help athletes improve. Certainly with younger students MOST of the learning comes from seeing demos and copying movements, you need to be competent to demonstrate even though you may not be able to do it to a very high standard. i agree with rjs you need to understand what is being asked of the athlete and be adaptable in making changes

the key difference between coaching and instructing is that you develop a longer term relationship with the client and you work more in depth on improvements. instruction is more one off or shorter timescales, throwing lots at the client and hoping some sticks later.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The demo thing is quite interesting. The assumption seems to be that most skiers learn by trying to imitate their instructor. I'm not sure if this is true. To use an oft quoted example, it's a bit like Tiger Woods doing a demo of his drive, and then asking me to copy it. My chances of success are minimal.

However, if my Coach or Instructor can help me build a 'mental' model of what I'm trying to do (which may be counter to how it looks) I'll have a much better chance of success in the future, and will be able to make progress on my own. A Coach has a much better chance of doing this as they have an on going relationship with the client.

nbt, It's perfectly possible to teach first time skiers and not do a single sliding demo - If I choose to run a session that way I'll get each group member to demo something for me and correct and mould from there. Mostly people learn from doing and it keeps everyone active.

As rjs, says, it's key that the Coach or Instructor has a clear idea why they are asking their group to do a specific activity and how it fits with skill or movement patten they are trying to develop. One of the games I play on the lift is watching an Instructor and his group and try and work out what the drill is for Laughing

skimottaret, Absolutely, having a good 'eye' to recognise what's going on really helps. Only then can you ID what is going to make the most difference. It's a shame it takes time and experience to develop Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
david@mediacopy wrote:
The assumption seems to be that most skiers learn by trying to imitate their instructor.

Not sure about that. People learn in difference ways and absorb info differently. But the need to "do" as well as explain in something you need as an instructor and "maybe" not as a coach (depending on the level you're coaching at.
There are many times when a simple demo will get the "oh yeah, I see now" reaction that may never have happened with an explanation. OK there are some people that will understand a snow plough just from a mental image but most people will want/need a demo
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think ski teachers need to be able to demonstrate clearly what the student is trying to achieve - ie: the end form, then they can break it down and teach elements which will come together. This might not be the same thing in advanced race training, but a coaching approach can be used at any level even if only for a week. In that case certainly you need to be able to actually perform to a high level, if, however, the coach is ISTD or equivalent it may very well be that the students eventually outshine the teacher in performance - that would be normal and shows the teacher/coach has done their job.

It's quite a hard pill to swallow though! Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wayne wrote:
There are many times when a simple demo will get the "oh yeah, I see now" reaction that may never have happened with an explanation. OK there are some people that will understand a snow plough just from a mental image but most people will want/need a demo

For sure, demo's have their place and an have to be done correctly to be of any use, but they are only part of the mix. As you say, different pupils will have different 'learning styles' and some will respond best to a visual demo.

Quote:
easiski, It's quite a hard pill to swallow though!
Nah ! Sign of a job well done I'd say Cool
snow conditions
I thought the difference between a ski coach and a ski instructor is the long term relationship (or the lack of) between the teacher and student?

Majority of ski instructors' clients are of short term in nature. So the learning style of the student are not known at the onset. A demonstration is the more universal sure-fired way of teaching. "Follow me" and see what the student end up doing? It may illuminate the learning style of the student so teaching style can be adjusted to suit. When demo-ing, a teacher would normally just ski in an "average" style, without much personal flare?

A ski coach, I assume, has at minimum a whole season to work with the student. So whatever strength and shortcoming of the student as an individual are known quite early on. And the teacher can focus on developing a skiing style for that individual, which may or may not be exactly the same as the next student, or for that matter, different from that of the teachers! At that point, demo-ing loses its value.

I've not work with a ski coach. But I had in other sports at earlier part of my sporting life. For example, I recall a male gymnastic coach. Even in his prime, I doubt he can possibly do some of the moves we teenage girls can easily do. So, I was one of the student who got asked to "do" what he asked. He would analyze it for the rest of the team. It worked quite well. In fact, his "difficulty" in performing the same move himself helps him understnad the difficulty some of his students had. Contrast that to a teacher who can do everything so easily that he might not understand why we had so much trouble doing the same!
ski holidays
One of the things I've noticed at HH but also on trips is that some skiers look "overcoached" to my eye, i.e. good or excellent execution of core moves but somehow lacking in "flow" or looking like a natural. I suspect at HH this is in part due to the artificial environment and the fact that it is better in a limited space to work on particular skills.

How do coaches/instructors get pupils to put it all together at the end?
snow report
fatbob, that's one of the hardest things to teach, and is in fact what many people were failing their ISTD tech for, and why the idea of "flow" was introduced by BASI. ie everything's technically correct but it just doesn't look right so we need a reason to fail them!

I think a lot of this is moving from the "practice" to "acquired" phase. Also just skiing the whole mountain, having some fun. Racers might spend most of their time doing drills and gates - getting them to ski off piste, or mess about in the bumps, do a bit of fresstyle, could help.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy