Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss Transfer Ticket, Geneva-Zermatt timetable?

Poster: A snowHead
Looking to get from GVA to Zermatt 28 Nov and returning 5 Dec. Taking the train would be a novelty for me, but the Swiss Transfer Ticket looks like a good option. How does this work? Do I book on specific trains (and where would I find the timetable), or do I just book a ticket which is valid on any service? What is the arrangement for luggage? Are there any train changes required from GVA to Zermatt?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar, I've used a Swiss Transfer Ticket twice and you don't book on a particular Train and they are valid for a certain period but can't remember how long. There is plenty of room for luggage on the trains.

Timetable info http://www.sbb.ch/en/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, Just done a quick search using the online timetable and there is one change at Visp for GVA to Zermatt.

Put Geneva Airport in the from field.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 23-09-09 10:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No need to book, just hop on at GVA train station, change at visp and you're done. the only exemption I think is the glacier express visp to zermatt where you have to book and pay 10 supplement, but thats easily avioded using the normal trains. Luggage wise, I tend to just pile it up on the seat next to us or in the rack above..you can leave skis in in the rack by the doors.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
geepee, thanks. I vaguely remember reading that your luggage is managed by the train service and that you collect it at your destination. Is that right, or just wishful thinking on my part?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
you have to do your own lugguage
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
papasmurf, thanks.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
geepee, thanks. I vaguely remember reading that your luggage is managed by the train service and that you collect it at your destination. Is that right, or just wishful thinking on my part?

I believe that there is such a service and I believe that you can also check your bags through to the Zermatt with some airlines. Swiss Air do this but I think they only guarantee getting it there by the next day which might be a problem if you want to get out skiing early.

It really isn't a problem with luggage on the train, just wheel your trolley down to the station under the airport. You need a 2 Swiss Franc or 2 Euro coin in theory for the trolleys but a 2 pence coin works just as well. wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There is a lugguage transfer service available though at an additional cost..but last time i checked out costs it came to more then the flights and train tickets..
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
www.sbb.ch for timetables

BUT you have to buy the ticket through the UK branch because it isnt available to Swiss nationals (When I did it last xmas).
The ticket covers any train (but I dont know about the Glacier Express mentioned above - the train I took Visp>Zermatt stopped at every station)
YOu fill in you passport number on the ticket, and the outbound date when you get on the train. It is valid for ages after that for the return. Of course, the out and return must be to a border/airport and not via any other place.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
for more regular trips to switzerland, then the 1/2 price card is a good option.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, Swiss transfer ticket valid for 1 month (I think) you enter the date of out bound travel before you use it and likewise for return, but you don't need to put the return date in ahead of schedule (just in case you need to change it) then all you do is show the ticket to the guard when he or she comes round the train, easy wink

No need to book specific trains, I'd take my luggage with me though you can send it from station to station if you have lots and don't want the hassle.

The only condition for the transfer ticket is that you use it for one day only out and one day return, you are supposed to use the most direct route but in practice if say you want to get out at a stop and have a look at an area that's not a problem.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, If flights are better times/prices (airport certainly is) Zurich is worth considering instead. Although it is further away distance wise it takes a similar time, one change also.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, what Colin B says. Zurich is a nicer airport. LCY > ZRH with swiss is a particularly nice way to do it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks all for the advice, much appreciated.

Colin B, stoatsbrother thanks, but Zurich is no good for me as I'm going to be in the Tarentaise for a few days before I go to Zermatt, so I need to fly to GVA.
snow report
rob@rar, Exactly as D G Orf says and looking at some tickets I have in front of me I can confirm they are valid for 1 month.
snow report
we did this same trip in March - one of the highlights of the holiday. Longish walk through the airport to the trains.
ski holidays
papasmurf wrote:
for more regular trips to switzerland, then the 1/2 price card is a good option.

How can this be obtained without a residence permit?
latest report
rob@rar, For the fly luggage service see:_

http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reisemarkt/services/schalter/reisegepaeck/flyrail-baggage.htm

For what it's worth I prefer Zurich airport to Geneva (there's more space).
ski holidays
rob@rar, to buy the ticket in the UK http://www.swisstravelsystem.com/index.php?system=GB
snow conditions
snowbunny wrote:
papasmurf wrote:

How can this be obtained without a residence permit?

you can get one at geneva airport train station, and they will send to UK addresses now.
ski holidays
papasmurf, Yes, they are for 1 month AFAIR, and available to foreigners, I think they cost chf 99. The year long half fare card is only available to residents holding B,C,G, or L, and needs a copy of a Residence Permit attached. I would really like the 1 year card, if you know how to get hold of one, please let me know how, (non resident BTW)
snow conditions
I'll double check, but my girlfriend got a year long one from GVA on monday (chf150 or 250 for 2 year) they didn't seem to have a problem, where as previously they would only send to a swiss address.

having a quick shufty at the application online, the only bit i can see about resident permets is on the include the following documentation
where it says

Please include the following items with your order
■To issue your travelcard, we need a passport photo. Please affix an original, recent, good-quality, colour passport photo here. Write your full name in block capitals on the back of the photo. No scanned or digital photos. Your photo will be stored electronically for 10 years (for 5 years up to the age of 25).
■A copy of ID card or passport
Only for non-Swiss nationals resident in Switzerland: A copy of residence permit B or C

source: http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reisemarkt/abos-billette/abonnemente/halbtax.htm

which it looks is only for ID purposes, it doens't mention any thing about non-swiss nationals who aren't resident..except you can't apply online only via mail or inperson

EDIT: GF confirms she got a 1year, all you need is a passport and a passport photo, also if sending to a uk address it will take longer then the 10 days

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 24-09-09 14:17; edited 1 time in total
latest report
isn't there an iphone app for that Rob Wink
snow conditions
snowbunny wrote:
papasmurf, Yes, they are for 1 month AFAIR, and available to foreigners, I think they cost chf 99. The year long half fare card is only available to residents holding B,C,G, or L, and needs a copy of a Residence Permit attached. I would really like the 1 year card, if you know how to get hold of one, please let me know how, (non resident BTW)

Nope. I have a one year Half-Fare Swiss Railway card on me right now, and I'm an American citizen and German resident. Nothing Swiss about me at all.

I bought it at the railway station at the Geneva airport, and all I needed was a passport photo and my passport. They gave me a temporary card on the spot and mailed the actual card to my German address. 140 CHF, I believe.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 24-09-09 14:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
kitenski wrote:
isn't there an iphone app for that Rob Wink

So there is, and a free one at that!
snow report
ami in berlin, Good news for me Very Happy

However the website does seem to differ...

http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reisemarkt/abos-billette/abonnemente/halbtax/halbtax-mit-visa-karte/halbtax-mit-visa-faq.htm

Quote:

Which requirements do I have to meet in order to obtain a Half-Fare travelcard with credit card?
The Half-Fare travelcard with Visa credit card is only issued to individuals aged 18 years and above with residence in Switzerland or Liechtenstein. The Half-Fare travelcard with credit card is only dispatched once the issue of the credit card has been approved by the card issuer, Jelmoli Bonus Card AG.

What happens if I do not meet all the requirements for a Half-Fare travelcard with credit card?
You have the opportunity to order a Half-Fare travelcard with prepaid card. You can load money onto the Half-Fare travelcard with prepaid card and use it to make cashless payments, provided your Half-Fare travelcard with prepaid card has a positive balance.

Currently SBB seem to want to give you a credit card as well, not sure why.
I did look into getting one of these cards by post a while ago, but got stumped with the requirement to send the Residence Permit with the form.
Perhaps the key to success is to apply in person? Can you recall what the application process involved. I can do the Swiss address, but not the permit Toofy Grin
Quote:

Have you remembered everything?
• Application form completed in full and signed.
• Copy of applicant’s and parent’s/guardian’s passport/ID card (for both main
and additional card) attached (photo, signature and date of issue visible on copy).
For Swiss nationals: valid passport, ID card (both sides) or driver’s licence
For other nationals: valid resident’s permit.
• To pay by Maestro, Postcard, Reka-Check, vouchers or cash, please take
the application form complete with all necessary documents to your nearest
point of sale.
• To pay with your existing credit card, please send the application form
complete with the all necessary documents to:

ski holidays
ah for the credit card one I would not be surprised that you'd need a permit as obviously it is the whole credit side thats the issue. If you want just the rail card then you can get it in person, or apply by mail printing out the form and sending id from
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So don't get the credit card.

I believe it is possible to only purchase the half-fare card by mail as well, but in person works just as well with the added benefit of having the validity period begin on the first day you use it. So your card is valid for longer than if you order it by mail and sit around for a month before you use it (or can you specify the start date by mail, too?).
ski holidays
yes I think you can specifiy the date
ski holidays
snowbunny, you don't have to have a half-fare card with a credit card. See http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reisemarkt/abonnemente/halbtax/halbtax-bestellung.htm We travel to Switzerland fairly regularly and have used these cards for some time. If you don't have the credit card you don't need to be a Swiss resident. They sent ours to the UK with no problem. You can specify the starting date as far as I know.
ski holidays
Thanks all, I'm on it! I definitely don't want another credit card Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy