Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Shane McConkey

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks. After searching around for a tshirt/ stickers/ etc in Shane's memory I was unable to find anything.

I decided to make a t shirt on teepay.com which is run by the company Howies. "McConkey Is My Wingman".

Basically you submit a design and if they get 30 orders they print the shirt.

The shirts are 100% organic cotton and the same as the normal Howies shirts but with custom designs.

I will receive royalties from the shirts sold. After I get the money together to get my own shirt I will donate 100% of the royalties to Shane's family at ShaneMcConkey.org.

Here is the link: http://teepay.com/frontend/showtee/2671

Should I come into some money before then I will not take any of the royalties.

Hope you think it's a good idea.

Cheers

Stuart
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Puzzled
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RosigLOL, so you're not going to pay for your own t-shirt?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Folks, the bottom of this thread might help explain a few things.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157545
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I know who McConkey was, but I'm not sure why I'd buy a tshirt that says that he was my wingman. Should I buy a tshirt for everyone whose death makes the news? I don't get it. It makes less sense than those memorial matches at GRFC...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
RosigLOL, so you're not going to pay for your own t-shirt?

I paid for mine. When I put it up I had literally £0. But of all things I won some money on the lottery.

£2.50 per shirt is the royalty so if 30 get sold thats £75 for his family. Not much but also not to be sniffed at.

And regardless of whether I paid for my shirt or not it would still be money that the charity wouldn't otherwise be getting.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
narc wrote:
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157545

You wear dog tags? Sorry not a fan. I don't smoke either so I made the shirt.

And since we are posting TGR links here's one from me:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155654&page=8&highlight=mcconkey+wingman

There was talk about stickers being made which never happened so I went freelance.

Hope some more of you support the cause and get the t shirt. If you think its a cr*p idea then that's fine too I just thought I'd do my bit.

Stuart
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RosigLOL, what is "the cause"?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
RosigLOL, so did you get a big tip at work, or did you win the lottery to pay for yours ??

I'm confused. Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
His wife and young family are the cause.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fr0sty wrote:
RosigLOL, so did you get a big tip at work, or did you win the lottery to pay for yours ??

I'm confused. Puzzled

I got a decent tip at work. Which allowed me to put fuel in my car which will allow me to get to work for the next couple of weeks. I won £20 off the lottery, long story but it wasn't my card, so then I purchased a Wingman t shirt and didn't spend time nitpicking on a forum at someone trying to help out a good cause, which rungsp rightly points out, with no intention of buying one.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I know who McConkey was, but I'm not sure why I'd buy a tshirt that says that he was my wingman. Should I buy a tshirt for everyone whose death makes the news? I don't get it. It makes less sense than those memorial matches at GRFC...

He is not just a random dead guy if you have a ski that is over 88 it probably has somthing he designed on them?

Nice shirt and a good tribute to him
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rungsp, I still don't get it. Why didn't people step up and sponsor JulesB in his GNR effort instead? This is obscene, and is way worse that memorial games.

RosigLOL, you're right, I have no intention of buying a tshirt. It's a scam.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hyweljenkins I can email you the correspondence between myself and Gary at Shane McConkey.org if you would like.

How dare you try and suggest that this is in some way a scam. You can ask the user "arv" on here if you would also like. He is my brother.

I hope people think less of you for that comment. What an unthoughtful and irresponsible thing to say. You ought to be ashamed of yourself.
snow conditions
hyweljenkins, I don't like the shirt that much - personal opinion - but I don't think for one moment this is a scam. I sponsored jules and he sponsored me on another event. But there are other causes.

Shane McConkey was a hero - like Doug Coombs - and left a young family.
snow conditions
hyweljenkins wrote:

No you shouldn't buy a t shirt for every dead person that makes the news. What you should do is donate to a charity that supports the work of those who have helped progress something that you love doing. You don't seem that intelligent so i'll point out that I'm referring to Shane and his work in the ski industry. Obviously you don't have to buy a shirt ( i don't really like it myself) but it's bloody obvious that it's not wasted money. You sir (or mrs sir) are a douchebag.
snow conditions
Quote:
hyweljenkins
RosigLOL, you're right, I have no intention of buying a tshirt. It's a scam.

rolling eyes

Uh where is the scam? how did you come to that conclusion?.

This forum could use an ignore button, save having to read comments from idiots on a regular basis
ski holidays
hyweljenkins,

What's got into you? Shocked

You got every right to not spend your money on a t-shirt or a charity/person/cause that you deem worthless...
Does not mean to say your view is the correct one and that otehrs have not got the right to do things differently.

And "scam" and "obscene" is really uncalled for.. Sad

I see plenty of people wanting sponsors to do what amounts in my mind to silly/not that hard/not that funny stuff for charities/people that do not mean anything to me... I don't go around calling them names..
snow report
Not a fan of the shirt tbh...but I have no problem with this idea, personally.

But...Scams on this site...?? shirley knott Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Any one who is unsure of who this guy is or how he affects you skiing from day to day needs to have a look at this a true gent and a shining example to all of us skiers he lived the dream and never forgot why he started or how lucky he was

http://www.powdermag.com/remembering-shane-mcconkey/
snow report
geeo, the 'scam' appeared when it seemed RosigLOL was using the charity as a way of getting a free t-shirt. I was considering buying one but I wanted make sure any royalties went towards the family, not to subsidizing someone's t-shirt. RosigLOL, good on you for putting your own cash into it. I'll probably purchase one now.
latest report
how about a "Shane McConkey packed my parachute" tee? Twisted Evil
latest report
papasmurf,

Shocked Laughing Embarassed
snow report
Now now papasmurf, be nice ... Twisted Evil Shocked
latest report
papasmurf, Parachute wasnt the problem, HE NEVER TRIED TO OPEN IT. The release wire taped to his leg for the binding when pulled failed to release one of his ski bindings and by the time he got himself sorted it was to late for either the squirral suit he was wearing or the chute to do him any good.

I would have no problem with him packing my chute considering he did over 600 jumps in one year withouht an issue
latest report
I'm not sure that "Shane McConkey taped up my binding realease wire" has the same ring too it though, plus it would need to be a fairly large tee to get all the lettering on
ski holidays
papasmurf, Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It begs the question why they were jumping with home-rigged old Tyrolias - (think it was Tyrolias, could be wrong though...) - when they're pulling stunts for multi-million dollar marketing campaigns and events.

Surely with these companies behind them they could have optioned a tech to rig a binding which released in the other direction for them, and therbye take some element of chance out of their stunts??
snow report
fr0sty, According to his jump partner and friend J.T Holmes there where 3-4 test of the bindins before the jump to make sure everything was in order.

And you are right they where Tyrolias.

Funny the last line that is how the rocker thing came about he turned up to a K2 ski day with pices of wire tied to his skis and his knees and they thought yeah we better make what he is asking for before he severs his leg doing this stuff
latest report
RosigLOL wrote:
Hi folks. After searching around for a tshirt/ stickers/ etc in Shane's memory I was unable to find anything.

I decided to make a t shirt on teepay.com which is run by the company Howies. "McConkey Is My Wingman".

Basically you submit a design and if they get 30 orders they print the shirt.

The shirts are 100% organic cotton and the same as the normal Howies shirts but with custom designs.

I will receive royalties from the shirts sold. After I get the money together to get my own shirt I will donate 100% of the royalties to Shane's family at ShaneMcConkey.org.

Here is the link: http://teepay.com/frontend/showtee/2671

Should I come into some money before then I will not take any of the royalties.

Hope you think it's a good idea.

Cheers

Stuart

Good luck, please ignore the ignorant comments of a few.
ski holidays
Ordhan, yeah I remember reading that about the Spatula 'protoype'. I think McConkey himself admiited it was more through fear he would injure one of the corporate numpties he was being forced to ski with, rather than fearing he would injure himself though!

I suppose that may say a lot about the willingness of companies to risk assets like McConkey, but protect the corporate bunnies on a day out skiing with Saucer Boy...
ski holidays
Quote:
geeo, the 'scam' appeared when it seemed RosigLOL was using the charity as a way of getting a free t-shirt

I agree the original post wasn't good, but after reading the rest (him buying it himself) it was obvious there was no scam, i guess you need to have read it though.
snow report
fr0sty wrote:
It begs the question why they were jumping with home-rigged old Tyrolias - (think it was Tyrolias, could be wrong though...) - when they're pulling stunts for multi-million dollar marketing campaigns and events.

Surely with these companies behind them they could have optioned a tech to rig a binding which released in the other direction for them, and therbye take some element of chance out of their stunts??

I read something the other day which said that they used those old bindings because they release when the heal piece is pulled up, rather than the usual down. Hence the cord to pull on the heal piece to release the ski's. From what I read, it didn't help that Shane McConkey was inverted when he got into trouble Sad Very sad.
latest report
fr0sty wrote:
It begs the question why they were jumping with home-rigged old Tyrolias - (think it was Tyrolias, could be wrong though...)

I'm guessing that with all the new technology going into ski products, the old Tyrolias were easiest to alter.

hyweljenkins, why don't you go ski off a cliff.
latest report
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
geeo, the 'scam' appeared when it seemed RosigLOL was using the charity as a way of getting a free t-shirt. I was considering buying one but I wanted make sure any royalties went towards the family, not to subsidizing someone's t-shirt. RosigLOL, good on you for putting your own cash into it. I'll probably purchase one now.

Excellent, I have emailed the Shane McConkey site a few times now, hopefully they will put something up in the next couple of days. Also emailed Howies so that they could put on the McConkey charity as an 'official' one on the Howies site as it only lets you donate automatically to a select few.
ski holidays
buckers, you're a tosser. I'm entitled to my opinion on this just as any of those who are fawning over this guy. OK, he died young, he left a family, and that's tragic. That happens to thousands of people every day. Those other people are supported by family and friends, just like this bloke's family is.

What's the scam? This:
Quote:
After I have got together enough money to get one of these for myself

Nothing like a bit of altruism, is there?
ski holidays
hyweljenkins wrote:
buckers, you're a tosser. I'm entitled to my opinion on this just as any of those who are fawning over this guy. OK, he died young, he left a family, and that's tragic. That happens to thousands of people every day. Those other people are supported by family and friends, just like this bloke's family is.

What's the scam? This:
Quote:
After I have got together enough money to get one of these for myself

Nothing like a bit of altruism, is there?

You still talking mate? Jog on.
ski holidays
And in case anyone missed it: http://teepay.com/frontend/showtee/2671
latest report
RosigLOL, I am not, and never will be your "mate". I'm particular about people I keep as friends.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy