Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3 week holiday - Where to go, roadtrip, Canada?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've got 3 weeks to take between January and April. Me and bf are thinking about driving to Europe and doing a bit of a roadtrip but I don't know what route to take or what resorts to stop off at. On the other hand I think maybe we should go somewhere else as I've never skied outside of Europe.

Has anyone done anything similar? What would you do if you had 3 weeks?

We like:
- pretty villages
- large ski areas
- tree lined is nice
- we're both intermediates who try to venture off piste every now and then.

Suggestions welcome...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would try Canada

For three weeks you could fit in some great resorts, great tree skiing and some really great off-piste, thats still in bounds so much safer.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You won't get pretty villages in Canada though unless you like ersatz chintz or railroad/mining towns. Plenty of skiing in most places as long as you don't judge by no of pistes or lifts.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd quite like the idea of a 3 week roadtirp low-season and picking a country try and visit some of the lest well known resorts in that area. For example in France the maurienne valley has a number of smaller resorts spread out along it, and I'd quite fancy a couple of weeks exploring there, and no doubt there is a lot of similar places in austria etc.

Problem is after a 3 week raod-trip then a 1 week trip to one resort (in the future) just wont be as appealing...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
wonderwoman, Canada would make a great road trip when you are a bit happier off piste - or a great way to learn to ski some powder - very easy to drop in and out of ski school in Canada and the US. But as fatbob says - forget pretty villages - but by way of compensation you get way more tree-lined skiing. I'd be tempted to do Banff/Lake louise, Kicking Horse, maybe Revelstoke or Fernie +/- another BC resort - and finish with Whistler, perhaps with a day in Vancouver before you head up there.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Not sure what your budget is like, but for 3 weeks, there might be some season pass options that make sense- at least around Colorado. The $439 Rocky Mountain Super Pass + gives you unlimited at Copper & Winter Park with 6 days at Steamboat (known for its trees & champaign powder). You must buy the CO (5 Vail resorts) pass in person, but the $599 Epic pass gives unlimited access to 6 Mnts (5 in CO plus Heavenly in CA/NV). Some places like Loveland sell their 4 pack online.

As others have said, don't expect pretty, authentic European villages, but the tree line is higher and the shopping in Silverthorne is likely cheaper than Europe.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
wonderwoman, In a similar situation me and 3 friends are going to Breckenridge for 4 weeks this winter (January/February). The intention is to ski other resorts in the area (4 of which are on the same season lift pass for £326). Whether this is a good idea or not I'll tell you in February.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wonderwoman, we did a 2 week roadtrip last year around Canada Toofy Grin

As mentionad above you wont really get pretty villages, and sometimes not large ski areas. What you will get is fantastic tree skiing and tree lined runs, great variety in the ski areas and the local comuntities and if really lucky, as we were, great snow conditions Smile As in fresh powder or day old stuff everywhere we went bar one ( the first place ) Theres also some great scenery between resorts and driving is a pleasure over there. a 4x4 helps both for conditions and space for your gear.

We skied a total of 8 resorts and really needed more time in some of them. we had been to a couple before which helped but even so at times we didnt really want to move on Smile

If I had 3 weeks I'd deffinately do the ame thing again - we met one couple who were doing a very similar route to ourselves over 3 weeks and saw them in 2 different resorts. Also met up and skied with a couple of snowheads doing a roadtrip along the same route Cool

Quote:

Problem is after a 3 week raod-trip then a 1 week trip to one resort (in the future) just wont be as appealing...

Agreed Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I thought the states would be expensive for 3 weeks but doing what rich.ll is doing seems to be very cost effective! Bones, What route did you take? MEfree30, those lift passes look tempting. I was a little worried that the lift pass would cost a fortune, surprisingly not considering how many resorts you can ski. Thanks for all the responses, definitely given me some ideas.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
wonderwoman, You will probably find alot of the accom. will do discounted lift tickets and you can pick up some reasonable lodging deals if you are prepared to stay multiple nights.

As to our route - we flew into Calgary and headed off towards Banff. we didnt stay as had been there last year but carried on to Golden to ski Kicking Horse. From there we headed to Revelstoke, then onto Silver Star. From here we went to Big White but stayed in Kelowna ( we were thinking of heading to Apex instead at one point.) Then it was down to Red Mountain - thats a bit of a drive Smile After that we hit Whitewater then another longish drive to Fernie, then onto Castle Mountain. A leisurely drive back to Calgary completed the trip. Toofy Grin

We had nothing set in stone, and only booked the first accom. and the last ( great little B+B for a steal, who understood that we might cancel ) We moved on when we liked. It was a great circular route, but there were points we could cut out and go elsewhere. We were very lucky with the snow and had near perfect conditions everywhere apart from Kicking Horse which needed more snow it was skiable, but we were spoilt last year with great conditions Madeye-Smiley Total distance driven was 1500 miles Toofy Grin

Anything else you want to know regarding the trip, feel free to ask Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We did a 2 week trip in Canada some years ago Fernie, Panorama, Kicking Horse and the Banff Area. We hada great time, but I felt we moved too mush in just a two week period.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I don't think you can just drive round..but you do need the flexibilty to stay for an extra few days..

These places will not really suit your type of skiing , IMV, but Engleberg-Andermatt, and through the Furka pass down to Brig would be ok...

FWIW, we are doing Ulli land to Big Dog for a week but have always wanted to ski around the Col du Forclaz as it always look great when we pass through.

I would suggest you look at places around Grenoble... and do the valley from Osian to Briancon, taking in ADH, L2A and Serre Ch... and stay at the smaller villages to save £'s and see more of the less touristy places... You have a car, you can do what you want..
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy