Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Having 2 insurance policies

Poster: A snowHead
I have travel insurance with my bank account. This isn't adequate (in my opinion) for a skiing holiday so I also take out a separate travel insurance (it's better to be safe than sorry).

If I need to make a claim for something covered by both policies, who makes the choice as to which policy I calim on?

Is it my choice?

Am I obliged to mention the other policy to the company I'm claiming off? (I have no intention of claiming off both!!!!)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rich.ll,
see earlier post at http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1160513&highlight=#1160513 concerning successful claim from 2 insurance policies

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 21-09-09 19:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
here is a definition of double (or dual ) insurance

"double insurance

Situation in which the same risk is insured by two overlapping but independent insurance policies. It is lawful to obtain double insurance, and the insured can make claim to both insurers in the event of a loss because both are liable under their respective polices. The insured, however, cannot profit (recover more than the loss suffered) from this arrangement because the insurers are law bound only to share the actual loss in the same proportion they share the total premium. Also called dual insurance."

there will likely be something in the small print of each policy about this
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rich.ll, I'm in the same position. Hadn't really thought about it in that way though.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
geoffers, malcolm1, Thanks for that, I think I understand the situation now.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rich.ll, when we've made a claim previously, the claim form specifically asked if we believed we could possibly be insured for the claim by another insurer. I assume that is when you would notify them.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Shimmy Alcott, Thanks for that.

The follow up question is that if I had my skis stolen I expect this would be covered by 3 policies (both travel insurances and home contents), does this dramatically increase the time taken to resolve claims?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We're in exactly the same position = the bank one does not cover off-piste, mine does.

So I will use mine if off-piste and then see who has the better cover if have any other accident Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rich.ll, You'd think so but in practice it shouldn't make a huge amount of difference, the insurers will decide fairly rapidly as to who will cover the cost
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rich.ll wrote:
I have travel insurance with my bank account. This isn't adequate (in my opinion) for a skiing holiday

You'd be surprised by the extent of some of the 'free' cover offered by banks, both mine and my husbands bank accounts come with annual travel insurance and out of curiosity i decided to read the policy wordings, both had good levels of cover, including winter sports, covered snowmobiling without the need for prior notification, had no freestyle exclusion, and had off piste cover (with a guide, which is more than adequate for ourselves and skiing mainly Canada isnt as ambiguous as in europe) . . . so being a dull insurance type i wanted to know how they could offer such a good product free . . . turns out the business model is that the obviously charge a premium for it, included in your monthly bank fees (if you ask them they have to tell you the value of the cover) but rely upon the fact that most people forget cover exists or assume its not worth bothering with, therefore they have avery very low claim ratio and make loads of money and are able to offer wide cover . . .

Unless i'm doing anything unusual i'm happy to rely on it . . . but then i work in insurance and know how the system works when it comes to getting claims paid . . .
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My "Free" insurance excludes Glacier skiing - does this mean I can't ski on Pisted Glaciers (e.g. Tignes in November Very Happy ) or does it mean the likes of Vallee Blanche?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snobunni, The cover offered by my bank isn't quite good enough (I think) so being the cautious type I've taken out travel insurance I know covers me. Maybe I'm being too cautious but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snobunni, looks as though you may have the same bank as me. Off piste cover with guide only was the killer. Otherwise, as travel insurance, it is very good.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have travel insurance through my bank pretty much as snobunni describes. It's fairly comprehensive and this year they have agreed to reinstate my medical expenses cover which was previously suspended following my cancer treatment. So I'm now covered for medical expenses related to anything other than cancer anywhere in the world. I've been playing safe and only travelling within the EU (with EHIC) since then.

The bank charge is £12.95 per month but this also covers mobile phone insurance, identity theft insurance and car breakdown cover including home start. Can't fault it really.

Admittedly the winter sports cover only includes off piste with a guide but I've never been off-piste and I can't see myself ever doing so. However, maybe it's possible to just get off-piste cover so as to avoid having overlapping policies?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
queen bodecia wrote:
.....Admittedly the winter sports cover only includes off piste with a guide but I've never been off-piste and I can't see myself ever doing so. However, maybe it's possible to just get off-piste cover so as to avoid having overlapping policies?

If you can find one, let me know. Snowcard insurance is modular - so you can knock out some of the things your household policy will cover anyway, though.
snow conditions
queen bodecia, the worry I have is the little jumps next to the piste, but technically off-piste and likewise the little cut throughs between pistes. All loved by the kids and hardly gnarly off-piste skiing - but technically off-piste. As such I felt I needed cover which included off-piste
snow conditions
I don't pay a monthly banking fee but I still get free annual travel insurance. However it would cost quite a lot for me to extend it to cover my daughter and to increase the number of skiing days it allows. It is cheaper for me to take out a Directtravel policy for the 2 of us which also gives better cover.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy