Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fancy seeing what it's like to be IN an avalanche?

Poster: A snowHead
This video might help Shocked

The story of the avy on the right hand side (click on "more info") is crazy, too.

http://youtube.com/v/Q2Tr-Jg_fis
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's pretty scary. When the guy was struggling for breath under the snow my heart was racing!

Surprised to see the guide with a plastic shovel. Those things are useless.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good thing his buddies were well equipped.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar wrote:
That's pretty scary. When the guy was struggling for breath under the snow my heart was racing!

It worked.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I managed 28 seconds before feeling sick and bailing. Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
achilles wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

It worked.

Have you ever used a plastic shovel to move snow?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Isn't that the same one used for the Avalung advert?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good clip - gives a sense of actually being buried... wondering if and when you're gonna be dug out.

Good advertisement for the BCA Tracker too
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
*note to self* go practice with your avy kit again Shocked
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
did the skier have a avalung?

What struck me is how well the sound still travels in the snow (and that the helmet cam didn't die!) and even if you can hear the rescuers you can't communicate back, and if they didn't have tracker what a nightmare death that would be as you can here them searching in the wrong spots..
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I assume it was a fairly shallow burial if the camera still had enough light getting to it to record an image, as well as picking up the sounds of his rescuers on the surface.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
zammo wrote:

Indeed, although better to learn about snowpack stability to avoid the nightmare scenario in the first place?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Must have been very cold, the snow didn't seem to have compacted much.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar, Must admit that I swapped my Black Diamond metal one for a Ortovox shovel with polycarbonate blade. Seems to be OK. The metal has to be the best choice for performance. However, I thought with my aged legs I would be less tempted to leave a shovel out of the backpack if I had the Ortovox than if I had a heavier shovel. For a young fit bloke like you no problem - and I take your point about that burial being fairly shallow.
snow conditions
papasmurf wrote:
did the skier have a avalung?

According to the YouTube commentary, yes, but it wasn't in his mouth when he started the run. He apparently tried to put it in his mouth when the avalanche happened but it didn't stay. Interesting commentary:

"He had a Black Diamond Avalung on, but as you can tell from the video while he's talking as he's dropping in, it wasn't in his mouth to start. He tried to shove it in the instant of starting to get sucked down, but it didn't stay. It was just off to the corner of his mouth he said, and he definitely got snow / ice build up as you'll see on the second sweep of the mouth by the guide after they get to him." (YouTube)
latest report
The really hard part turning around and not skiing after having done the hike, always helps to have the female voice of reason along.
snow conditions
achilles, the few grammes extra for a metal blade are pretty insignificant compared to the difference in a plastic blade when shoveling snow. My BCA metal bladed shovel is not much heavier than an equivalent plastic one.

I was shocked how much more ineffective a plastic blade was having spent a week digging snowpits and locating and retrieving buried backpacks. The plastic blades flexed so much it made the effort significantly more strenuous. Giving that the only time you're going to be using it is to save the life of a skiing buddy who has minutes to live I think I'd like to have a shovel which is going to make it a bit easier to move maybe a tonne of snow.
ski holidays
rob@rar, i am always tempted to offer to swap shovels with plastic shovel carriers so they can use my metal shovel to dig me out should the worst come to the worst Mad
snow report
speaking of which I should *really* get a metal shovel, any recommendations, decent prices??

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 21-09-09 15:02; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Interesting as I'd suspect that retaining the avalung mouthpiece in your mouth as you're potentionally being rag dolled about and gasping may be fairly hard.
ski holidays
rob@rar, a session of back-packing made me of the school that every gramme saved helps. I saw a BCA metal-blade shovel after I bought my Ortovx - and I must admit it looked good. I shall make a point of checking my shovel out in heavy snow next January.
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
rob@rar, i am always tempted to offer to swap shovels with plastic shovel carriers so they can use my metal shovel to dig me out should the worst come to the worst Mad
Yes, a good policy. I'm also incliuned to lend them my Pulse so they could find me quickly Very Happy

achilles, if you're trying out a shovel make it as realistic as you can (dig down a coupel of meters perhaps or maybe a full snowpit, with someone standing over you with a stop watch) .
snow report
achilles, an avalanche is not just heavy snow - have you ever walked across an old one?
snow report
rob@rar, I'll try and give it some welly. The avalanches which seem the worst are those where the snow seems like blocks of ice rather than snow. It must be tough having dig that stuff with any shovel. Mind you, I wonder what the survivability is if you get buried in one of those.
snow conditions
That was bl00dy scary. I think i will be sticking on the piste for a few years yet.

What happens when you go off piste with a guide? Would they insist on everyone having emergency kit or is it basically up to you if you are stupid enough not to carry it?
snow report
The second you see the slab crack you know it's going to be bad news. Shocked Shows how fast it happens. He was a very lucky guy.
snow conditions
Quote:

According to the YouTube commentary, yes, but it wasn't in his mouth when he started the run. He apparently tried to put it in his mouth when the avalanche happened but it didn't stay. Interesting commentary:

I doubt Black diamond would be using this video on their website as an avalung advertisment if that were the case. But if it's true......
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, achilles, I have a plastic avalanche shovel.

I keep it in my car for snowy days in the UK... snowHead

Get a metal one.

ph, most of the time - if you are going anywhere interesting - the deal is you either already own the kit or hire it. You might be the muppet who triggers the avalanche onto someone else and then has to find them/dig them out.
latest report
ph wrote:
What happens when you go off piste with a guide? Would they insist on everyone having emergency kit or is it basically up to you if you are stupid enough not to carry it?

if you don't have the kit you don't go. guides will usually supply it to those without
the kit is at least as much about saving your buddies as it is about saving your own skin
snow report
stoatsbrother, easiski now has my old metal spade in the back of her Chevvy. Laughing
ski holidays
kitenski, this is the next one I want to get - had a play - really nice stow mechanism

For anyone visiting the US - Snowbigdeal have some great transceiver/shovel/probe combo bargains
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
zammo wrote:

Indeed, although better to learn about snowpack stability to avoid the nightmare scenario in the first place?

too right - hard to tell from the video but it looks as though the slide was predominantly below him which I would presume to be a better set of circumstances than a great block from above.
ski holidays
According to Chappy...
Quote:
The guy in the video was the first one to drop from their group and while not a guide (he was going tail-gunner style), had a lot of Utah and AK backcountry experience

Yeah... right. Typical "backcountry" dude who doesn't have a clue.
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
speaking of which I should *really* get a metal shovel, any recommendations, decent prices??

It is no good being metal if the gauge is too thin.. I've seen some collapse under a boot..
The shop exchanged it with no qualms but the point being it was useless.... and failed the dig test.

From what I have seen, Ortovox do a good line..
The Ali pro and Expert are decent, IMV and just about the right trade-off between weight and strenght. The Expert can chop down trees... but the weight is significant, IMO..
snow report
to my 1000% untutored eye that slope looked like an avalanche waiting to happen from the very outset - especially that slight windblown cornice effort just before the cracks started to appear. Lee slope?

And I thought all the wise guys said you don't strap into your poles in powder?

Horrendous. Shocked
latest report
Intrestingly if you actually read the very long commentry you will discover that they spotted him because one of his gloves came off just before the avalanche stopped and must have ended up on teh surface, it was that glove that guided them to his general location, makes me wonder if in fact the old fashioned streamers are not in fact some of teh best ways of finding victims
ski holidays
hmm, I have the Grivel steel blade (plastic) shovel, think the guy in the shop convinced me using some sort of mind control... since then i've seen a lot of good reviews and some awards as well. But still not completely convinced! was i duped???
snow conditions
dulcamara wrote:
was i duped???

Easiest way to fin out is to test it. Dig a snow pit, preferably using a borrowed metal blade shovel to see which is easier. I was shocked at the difference between the two types.
ski holidays
D G Orf, except that there is no evidence that they have ever worked. Surely you remember?

Let's not do that one again. rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy