Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Free kids passes, free beginners lifts?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know of an exhaustive list of resorts with the cut-off ages for free kids passes?

I know a lot offer them up to age 5 or 6 but others give kids a free pass if their parents buy a full price one up to age 10 or 12.

Is there also a list of resorts that have free beginners lifts?

My son is nearly 5 so I am looking for a cost-effective way of getting him started in the next year or so. If he likes it, it'll be good to visit resorts that are welcoming to kids.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't know of any complete lists, and don't know where you are located.

My now 6 year old got started 2 years ago at Les Arcs- first at a local park in Bourg St. Maurice, then the magic carpet at 1800 followed by the drag lifts- all of these were free as was a week of lessons & equipement hire in April when they were trying to drum up some business.

We are the other side of the pond now and I saw recently that Aspen (and likely Snowmass, etc) is free for 6 and under while A-Basin, Copper (and likely Steamboat & Winter Park) are free for 5 and under. Unfortunately, Vail Resorts (Vail, Keystone, Breck, Beaver Creek & Heavenly) is only free for 4 and under. However, most resorts I have seen offer free magic carpets (and in some cases drag lifts or even "first timer" chairs) which is likely that at 5 will be all you will need for the first few days (at least).

Probably most cost-effective to go where it is least expensive to get to & stay, at least for his first trip, unless you know that this area doesn't provide much in the way for breaks for kids. Another consideration is cost for lessons. If you are patient and feel you can teach him how to put on his gear himself, the first few are typically more about getting a feel for the equipment & snow (including building snowmen, throwing snowballs, etc.) than learning to actually ski- this can be more cost effective to do yourself unless you would rather drop him off and ski yourself.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
MEfree30, thanks for the info and advice about the US resorts, I'm UK-based so for cost reasons will be looking for European resorts, preferably in the Alps.

Interesting about Les Arcs, seems that some French resorts often have a few free lifts/special offers for kids/beginners, I'll check that out.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
2Alpes - free for -5/+72, discounted rate for -13/+65. Free lifts for beginners all along the lower slopes in resort.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
luigi, don't know of any list but agree that would be useful, spent a week in Saas Fee this summer and the lift pass there is free for kids up to age 9 which I think is very generous, AFAIK most french resorts are free for under 5s, but there are a few where it's free for under 6s such as Serre Chevalier, Montgenevre.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The Dolomiti Superski area do free passes for kids...at least under 8s but I think also older.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi, Les Arcs do offer a free lift pass for 5 year olds. One of the official Les Arcs websites has a list of free lifts open to all. We had a trip to Les Arcs last year with a complete beginner, who was almost 4 and she loved it. I invested in a set of reins and she was off. Snowell is offering free child ski hire when you purchase adult ski hire.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've found that Swiss resorts seem to be far more generous for child discounts than France for instance.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
luigi wrote:
I'm UK-based so for cost reasons will be looking for European resorts, preferably in the Alps.

When your child is a little older and you have to travel in school holidays, you might find that Europe is actually more expensive. A couple of years back, I took my kids to Big Sky primarily on cost grounds - unlike the Alps, flights to NA (except Denver, Calgary, SLC and Vancouver) don't increase at half term, and neither does the cost of accommodation. Big Sky offers(offered?) free lift passes, accommodation and (yes, seriously) food in some places for under twelves, and the whole experience was surprisingly cost-effective - certainly less than any package that I and my travel agent could find to the Alps at the same time.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wengen/Jungfrau 5 CHF piccolo pass for under 6; with support/statement from ski school this can be raised to under 8 if I recall correctly
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy