Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

S916 bindings

Poster: A snowHead
Salomon S916 bindings with 100mm brakes.

Brand new you would expect to pay how much for these? (I'm guessing in the region of a new set of Jesters??)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fr0sty, Which variant of S916 ?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I believe its the Comp S916. So the decent version.

There were old Teton threads claiming they bought new-in-box for about $85-$100, unsurprisingly there was no source link though.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I tried to get a pair the winter before last when i got my Kingswoods. Despite my best efforts couldn't find anywhere either on the web that had them or any shops that could special order them in for me. To put it mildly they're hard to get hold of.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
they are hard to get hold of because sideshow bob hordes so many Wink

let ekosport be your friend
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Arno, nice link thanks!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well i put a set of jesters on the Kingys in the end & i couldn't be happier with them. They're as good as any other bindings i've had over the years & there've been quite a few.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fr0sty, I can offer you Vist 614's for less & they don't have the problems of a self-adjusting toe height & self adjusting toe wings.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spyderjon, your 614s were actually about £15 dearer than the price I was offered - (that's based upon the cost you sent me via PM a short time ago).

I know you offer a free mounting service with the purchase, but it would cost me a bit in petrol to get to you and back so I couldn't take advantage of it Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon, the 916s (at least the comp/lab versions) have independent toe-height and individual wing adjustment and do not suffer from the same problem with the wings as the plastic 912/914 one-screw. Not had any issues with "unwanted adjustment" with any of my metal Salomon bindings, they're all pretty much bombproof.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sideshow_Bob, They may be bombproof but they are not baggage handler proof, I have a broken toe wing on one of mine. Current ones use the same plastic toe as the 912/914 so the old ones are worth keeping. Only the S920 uses a metal toe now.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rjs, I had heard the STH916s used a plastic toe but didn't know the newer Eq/Comp/Lab 916s were plastic too. They still have the independent wing adjustments and so won't suffer from the slop issue right?

It must've been a fair drop to break yours. I once saw my ski bag fall from the top of the luggage loading conveyor to the ground while waiting to take off on a flight back from Norway. A massive dent in the edge of one ski meant they were a write-off but the bindings (997s) survived intact. To be fair I think if mishandled badly enough almost any binding would break but I'd imagine a Sally metal driver-style binding would take more abuse than most.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rjs wrote:
Sideshow_Bob Current ones use the same plastic toe as the 912/914 so the old ones are worth keeping. Only the S920 uses a metal toe now.

I did not realise this at all; a large part of why I made enquiries about a 916 rather than a Rossi / Look Ti 14 or 15 din (of which there seem to be a lot more and more readily available), is because I believed they were more durable due to the all metal construction.

It might require a re-think, and if this is the case it seems that the Vist option may well be preferrable as the models after the AFD issue appear to be highly durable!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sideshow_Bob, The new toe does not have independent wing adjustment.

fr0sty, The switch in design was two seasons ago, you could ask which type is available.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rjs, totally lame! Can't believe Salomon are cost-cutting deeper in the driver range. They've practically removed the driver toes from their consumer range anyway so why not keep the remaining drivers for the enthusiasts full-metal? Glad I got my 916s when I did.

Edit: the ekosport ones Arno linked to look to be the real-deal metal/independent-wings from 2007, and are identical to the pairs I have.
ski holidays
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
spyderjon, the 916s (at least the comp/lab versions) have independent toe-height and individual wing adjustment and do not suffer from the same problem with the wings as the plastic 912/914 one-screw. Not had any issues with "unwanted adjustment" with any of my metal Salomon bindings, they're all pretty much bombproof.

Sideshow_Bob, I'm often having to re-adjust the Comp/Lab 916's as well.
snow conditions
frank4short, (a little off topic): when you were lining up your Kingswoods did you happen to test a pair of Nordica Supercharger Blowers? I just wondered as they're often run alongside each other for comparison.
latest report
Didn't get a chance. Strictly speaking it's not really possible to demo them outside of NZ. However I bumped into a guy who was the mate of the guy who makes the kingeys in canada a few years back. He had one of the early demo pairs & let me take them for a run. They were a little bit on the soft side but still skied really well. In the intervening period Kingswood started offering additional stiffeners which rectified this problem.

The only place that i know that sells kingswoods is Fall Line in chamonix & really he's just an ordering portal which does away with some of the shipping costs due to volume ships & of course you don't have to deal with the taxes yourself.

They're amazing skis & i'm super happy i bought them but i'd be lying if i didn't say i like the fact they're custom hand made skis & the element of exclussivity this also brings to the table. Plus they look super cool with the plain black topsheet. Fancy graphics are for jib kids IMO.
snow conditions
frank4short, I saw them advertised a few years ago on the Teton forums. I remembered thinking about them and their bamboo construction when I was picking up a set of Liberty Helix skis earlier this year, and wondering if Kingswood pioneered its use (or at least pushed through a lot of the R&D).

They look like good skis, and expect there's a lot of life when you're on them so would be fun to ride.

The whole handmade, exclusivity idea appeals to me quite a bit too. I've always been a fan of companies like Igneous for those reasons. I know there are a lot of others popping up now such as ON3P - and degrees within between commercial pressing and solo craftsman.
snow conditions
AFAIK Kingswood were the first people to make bamboo skis. Ironically i believe this is mostly because when they started out they were having trouble getting high quality wood of the right sort in NZ. Whereas now bamboo cores are becoming more popular for environmental reason. The other positive thing about kingswood is AFAIK he's the only guy offering a 2 year guarantee on his skis. Though in saying that this doesn't really make much of a difference to most people as unless you're a hardcore skibum you'll be doing well to break a pair of good handmade skis.

Next pair of skis i buy will probably be a pair of Praxis, heard great things about them.
snow conditions
frank4short, keep an eye on the Praxis website - they put up really good deals from time to time
ski holidays
Bumping this thread to see if anyone (I'm looking at you Sideshow_Bob Wink ) knows how much adjustment there is in the heels of 916s once fitted?
i'll probably need about 17mm to accommodate both sets of boots I would be using
snow conditions
Arno, NFI I'm afraid. I tend to go through skis quicker than boots so have never had to readjust. rjs may have a better idea. Based off the ZZ-lab mounting guide though it's at least 13mm as that's the amount before you have to widen/narrow the metal link bar. Maybe ask on TGR? They rock the 916s over there too.
snow report
search on TGR reveals they have +/- 9-11mm of adjustability so doable if I don't mind having the bootsole of neither boot in quite the right place!
snow report
Arno, I think this would mess up your forward pressure settings and make them as useful as duct tape, on both pairs of boots?

916 and all variations, apart from the STH16, are awesome.
latest report
parlor, mess up irretrievably or would it just mean I need to take this into account when adjusting?

i'm probably not going to get 916s but I am assuming that the answer will be the same for some 997 equipes I have tucked away and might put to use this winter (think they have the worm screw, not the tab adjustment for forward pressure)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy