Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

True Cost of a Ski Hol - Hourly Rates

Poster: A snowHead
Prompted by a calculation by xyzpaul elsewhere on this forum (re. Tignes lift pass prices) I worked out the hourly cost of a low season trip to Tignes (based on 2 people).

xyzpaul's point was to illustrate the comparative cost of a snowdome session with a trip to the Alps.

Would anyone else care to work out their typical hourly rate? Feb half term to Courchevel vs Bansko should be interesting -or anyone for Inghams Luxury Ski vs Crystal B&B?

My Tignes calculation is:

Flight £75, Transfer £90, Lift pass £200, Studio £175, Food, drink, miscellaneous £250. Grand total = £790.

Alowing for an hour's stop for lunch/hot choc etc I'd reckon on sking 8 hours a day (ie first lift 9am to last lift 5pm) -which makes it 42 hrs skiing for £750. Hourly rate = £18.80
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A week's skiing holiday normally costs me almost a grand.

TO 3 or 4 star hotel, half board, including flights, transfers & single room supplement, usually aim for around £500 (Austria or Italy)
Lift pass around £150-£180
Ski hire around £80
Spending money around £100
Airport car parking around £50
Cattery around £50

Not much change from a grand eh? There's not really any way to do it cheaper. Self-catering not really an option for a solo traveller and I guess I'm at an age where sub-standard accommodation really does not appeal any more.

Which with six days skiing at approximately six hours per day works out at £26.70 per hour. Just a smidge more expensive than Tamworth Snowdome but worth every penny! Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ahem. True costs include the amortization of all your skiing gear over the period of time it lasts - (or doesn't if you are an early adopter of fashion slave) and the full cost of maintaining it. Best not to look too closely, IMV. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
achilles, hadn't thought of that. I have £160 new boots and hopefully a new ski suit for around £100 this season.

I know I should have discovered cheaper hobbies! Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
queen bodecia, you can bring the price down a bit by deducting all the expenses you would have had to have paid at home anyway - food, utilities, consumables (toilet roll, washing up liquid etc) Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Shimmy Alcott, which comes to about £25 for food and £25 for petrol. Pays for the cattery I suppose! Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mountainaddict, ours would be sky high as we dont get to ski full days very often (family hol with the kids). Rough calculation off of last years holidays = £52 per hour. But we do go to nice hotels and get spoilt rotten. Toofy Grin

Uh oh. I forgot lift pass and ski hire. Probably about £65 an hour. Shocked Still worth it though.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 20-09-09 11:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
no idea and who cares,

You can either affford it or you can't..
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

You can either affford it or you can't..

And if you can't afford it, you do it anyway.... or is that just me?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
achilles
Quote:

Ahem. True costs include the amortization of all your skiing gear over the period of time it lasts -

Okay, okay - there's always one clever $hite Toofy Grin. I never said it was meant to be an exact science!! Anyway, if anyone wants to include depreciaton of car on drive to airport etc etc then please feel free....

JT The thread was only meant to generate a bit of fun and discussion. Your snotty answer of "no idea and who cares" could equally apply to "how high is resort x" or "should I consider booking resort Y." Not exactly in keeping with the usual amiable spirit of snowHead.......
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

But we do go to nice hotels and get spoilt rotten.

Good on yer - each to their own!!

Ours is more like "We do go to rotten hotels - and get what we pay for!! Toofy Grin"
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mountainaddict, I am perfectly happy to cough up for my skiing - and for you to delude yourself on how cheap yours is. Toofy Grin

PS - please don't discuss the true cost of motoring - I am trying to persuade lampbus to drive him and me to Zinal. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mountainaddict, another anal question or thread for someone who hasn't got anything better to do... and there are lots of threads like this so this is not the only one.

Are you really going to run your life on what people may post on here... it is a chat site 95% of time which is why you can log on here a couple of times a day and get through the threads in 5 mins. Personally, I think that is good and saves me wasting good knows what time here.

I have severely restricted the amounts time and posts on here in the last few months... but maybe I am just fed-up with the same old , same old...

But hey, its your thread, carry on, I'm out..
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mountainaddict, Our hourly rate is coming down this year that's for sure. On the times we just had lunch from a french deli rather than doing the whole restaurant tartiflette lark we had just as good a time. So its goodbye to courchevel 1850 and hello to 1650.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quite an interesting thread - people normally assume skiing in an indoor slope costs a lot more per hour, but evidently not.

However, I'd gladly pay a lot more for the views, atmosphere, food, variety of runs, real snow, black runs, moguls, POWDER, trees, sun, animals, cow bells etc...
ski holidays
Intresting idea, have just done the rough calculations seems wwere coming in around £21.50 per hour to ski Utah. Madeye-Smiley

Now that aint bad in my book as beanie1, says for the surroundings and differing terrain well worth it. It just shows what a ripoff the snowdomes are Toofy Grin Perhaps they should reduce prices to around £6 per hour Shocked
latest report
JT, you could always start a thread about Gordon Brown! Toofy Grin
latest report
ph wrote:
mountainaddict,....... So its goodbye to courchevel 1850 and hello to 1650.

Don't be so confident you can handle that - it will be more of a shock than you think. I'd seek trained counselling now to cope with the challenge ahead.
snow report
I think it's quite an interesting calculation, but I wouldn't just include the skiing. What about a glorious apres-ski hour in the chalet in just your inner layers, stretching your leg muscles and drinking 4 cups of tea? Or convivial evening meals? Or anticipation, weeks before you go? And enjoying the photos and memories when you get back?
latest report
makes the cost of skiing for 4 hours at a Hemel snowHeads monthly event seem like an absolute bargain
snow conditions
pam w, spot on - but, mutatis mutandis, it's the same around a day of lessons at Hemel! wink
skimottaret, it is! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
achilles,
Quote:

Don't be so confident you can handle that - it will be more of a shock than you think. I'd seek trained counselling now to cope with the challenge ahead.

I think you are right.mmm......Maybe just one more year in 1850. I can always give up next year. Very Happy
snow conditions
ph wrote:
.......I can always give up next year. Very Happy

Shocked
snow conditions
As cost of whole trip/hr skiing (IMV as far as the calculation can be usefully taken) £35/hr (family trip) - £15/hr (boyz weekend). If I start thinking too hard about it, MK could be costing me anything from treble figures/hr to single figures/hr in my credit depending on how I look at it!
latest report
Shimmy Alcott wrote:

Uh oh. I forgot lift pass and ski hire. Probably about £65 an hour. Shocked Still worth it though.

jeeps, that is about what I'm paid! Shocked
snow report
davidof, £65 an hour?
snow conditions
Assuming you start to ski around 9am and finish around 4 (for happy hour in the bar) and you spend about £5 on lunch
£14.76 per hour on a week's holiday (6 days skiing) for everything.
Dead easy. Toofy Grin

"unless" your skiing with Mrs Wayne then it works out at "much" more wink
snow report
Let me think, Holiday for 4 = £1800 so £450. Lift pass = £200, ski/boot hire 4 people at E238 (BOGOF) = £55, spending money £100 (MAX) = £805

I ski from 9 - 4 = 7 hours (I don't often stop for lunch, and never an hour and I have been known to come back at 5!!) so 35 hours skiing = £23 per hour BARGAIN, I go riding every week and it costs £24 ph!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Let me think, Holiday for 4 = £1800 so £450. Lift pass = £200, ski/boot hire 4 people at E238 (BOGOF) = £55, spending money £100 (MAX) = £805

I ski from 9 - 4 = 7 hours (I don't often stop for lunch, and never an hour and I have been known to come back at 5!!) so 35 hours skiing = £23 per hour BARGAIN, I go riding every week and it costs £24 ph!!

I once did the sum looking at how much it cost to keep my horse, and how much it cost per hour of riding. It wasn't a happy sum! Crunchiepink13, £24 ph is a BARGAIN! And just think what good exercise it is preparing for when it's finally time to ski!
We do these things for FUN - lets not look to closely at the cost Very Happy
ski holidays
it's very important not to do that sort of calculation if you are a sailor with your own boat- especially if it's a big one (that's why I have a very small and tatty one). It's generally infinitely cheaper to charter.
ski holidays
It's fairly adviseable not to do that sort of calculation if you own car.
ski holidays
pam w, I used to have a lot to do with boats.Not the namby,pamby saily things....mine had big engines,and an even bigger thirst for fuel Shocked A chandler once said to me,"If you need to ask(the cost)you cant afford it".To me,skiing is a bit similar,but afford it we do.Is it value for money?..probably not.I could easily get two weeks in the sun for the cost of one weeks skiing.But the thought wouldn't even enter my head.Why?....there's no snow on a beach rolling eyes
For me,skiing is the whole thing...the mountain,atmosphere,challenge,scenery,cold fingers and runny nose.Its arrogant French locals and pushy Italian kids.Its my kids,who now ski better than me because I've paid for them...and me,doing the best I can with the time I have left wink

The cost.....who cares?? The experience.....priceless Very Happy I'm damned if I will be the one in the care home saying "I wish" Sad
ski holidays
davidof,
Quote:

£65 an hour?

The drinks are on you mate. Very Happy
snow conditions
and for everything else there's Mastercard
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy