Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What resort you've been once and don't want to go back?

Poster: A snowHead
bertie bassett, but, dear boy, you've never stayed in Chamonix. You stayed in Les Houches... Twisted Evil
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bansko; little snow I can forgive and I'm quite partial to a nice bit of offal. I could even put up with the building site archetecture.
No.
I won't be back because of the queues.

Ylas, Finland; the skiing's limited but I knew that.
I'm not so keen on drag lifts and t bars for miles in minus whatever it was
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mattgcp wrote:
Saalbach/Hinterglemm: 16 years old and I went on a school trip to learn to ski. When we got there one side of the valley was just grass, the other was ice. The school didn't enforce any sort of curfew on the sixth formers, so most nights we were out getting trolleyed (partly out of sheer amazement that no one was stopping us). I remember a friend throwing up under a table in a nightclub, another getting caught in the bedroom of a lass from a girl's school from back home (which had foolishly chosen the same week and resort as us for their ski trip), and me briefly having a girl I lusted after from the same school sit on my lap in a bar while the Prodigy's Out of Space pumped out of the sound system - happy days... I barely remember the skiing but god that was a great holiday.

Well, that would be the sort of place some of us not go to, never mind going back! Wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
What resort you've been once and don't want to go back?

Almost everywhere I've skied, but not so much because I don't want to return as because there are too many mountains in the world and not enough skiing holidays. I can honestly say that I've never had a trip to the mopuntains where I haven't loved almost every moment.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
OK Morillon! I have never seen so much rain in my life... horrible slushy man made snow and hardly any runs open over the Christmas/New year period. Had to drop daughter at ski school and then tear around Flaine for a couple of hours before heading back to practise with her in the afternoon. Our fault really, should have stayed somewhere a lot higher that early in the season...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sauze Doulx, year we went in early Jan the run to resort weren't open, so it was the chair lift up and down, then the trudge down resort to hotel which was near main square, change and trudge back up again for the fantastic "not" night life
highlight of the week was a bus trip to Montgenevre for some proper snow on well marked pistes!
alas this was 1985!!
going to Montgenevre again this year
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think I've been spoilt by my two experiences of skiing (outside). However, I wouldn't return to either of these places any time soon because I like to see different places.

1st trip was to Winter Park mid Dec 2008. Conditions seemed ok, all lifts running and runs (that I would want to try) open. Later to learn that the conditions were good for the time of year. Resort was ok, plenty of choice for eating etc

2nd trip was 3 weeks ago to Panorama BC. Snow was plentiful (although I hear that they have had a lot of early season snow out there this year which is not always the case) I guess we were lucky again with that. Mountain was very different, significantly fewer runs and more set up for people looking to hit the blacks. Still, enough to occupy us for a week still.

Eager to try somewhere in Europe to make the comparison next.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Serre Chevalier. A week of long, dangerous walks along a fast and busy road with intermittent pavements with all my gear, or waiting half an hour for a crowded bus.

I've been back to Morzine, Meribel and L2A but I'll never willingly go to Serre Chev again.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As a "one week a year plus a weekend if I'm lucky" skier I'd avoid advance booking anywhere that doesn't have some serious altitude. We had a dreadful week at La Clusaz a few years ago with a few isolated tops that you could ski, joined by a catastrophically overcowded lift/bus system. To add insult it dumped on the day we left so much that the transfer bus couldn't get to our previously rain lashed accomodation and we nearlt had an unscheduled extra night. But I do know people who've had great time there - just book last minute I'd say.

so - i'm fine with VT, , Tignes, Les Arcs etc - cos my ski time is too valuable (but I haven't mentioned the time everything was shut for a high winds....)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Les Deux Alps, anytime near the start or middle of the season.
So many cat tracks, park really icy and not made up after summer.
Slow old lifts, no connecting lift across valley, just a fairly limited resort.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Would not go back to Val D Isere,Courmayeur,Bad Gastein, Le Deux Alpes.......awful towns.
Out of about 30 resorts I have been to that's not bad.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Beks1969, was that this year? last year it would have been full of snow. Height-is-not-necessarily-always-better!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
immer schuss, Val d'Isere, Courmayeur - awful towns. Really? How could you not like Courmayeur???
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

There's even a blue run that you don't have to turn on - just point your skis down and proceed in stately fashion toward the chairlift.

My mum would love that! Laughing She likes skiing but hates all that 'downhill' and 'turning' malarkey.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I wouldn't go back to La Rosiere - a total disappointment.
ski holidays
bobinch,

Ok,was a while ago when I was there,had a stay near the tunnel and noisy main road.
We stayed at Cervinia on the same trip and I would recommend staying and skiing there way before Courmayeur.
Only my opinion of course,but great to discuss!
ski holidays
immer schuss, we stayed in a small hotel 2 mins from the centre with super friendly hosts. There was fresh snow on the ground, the village looked lovely. Cosy apres ski in Bar Roma and Cafe de la Poste. Great restaurants. Stylish shops.

Fresh snow meant fresh tracks on the off piste itineraries off the Arp cable car and then a day skiing the powder fields of the Toula glacier. Was one of our best weekends last year.

Only skied Cervinia when staying in Zermatt. Village looked rather bleak. Good piste skiing but too flat for off piste. Great mountain restaurants though!

Shows how different peoples experiences can be!
snow report
I have recollections of a great skiing holiday in Courmayeur. Brilliant base to ski the vallee blanche. lively town with nice restaurants. We stayed in a 3 star hotel with Inghams. There is a lovely mountain restaurant part way down a blue run. I think the only drawback is having to take the cable car accross to the ski area but I think a new one has been built. There was an antique on in the 90s when I went there.

Jane L - did you stay in the main part of la rosiere or les eucharts. we stayed in new luxury appts in eucharts and had a great holiday. I would agree that the skiing is not that exciting if you take la rosiere on its own but if you use the link to la thuile there are a good variety of runs and lots of easy blues and reds. Suppose it may not be so good for black run skiing.
snow report
I really enjoyed Courmayeur last season too. The town is lovely, a proper town with lots to do rather than a bleak high rise ski station. The ski area, although small, was very varied and fantastic for confident intermediates. It's definitely not a resort for beginners or people who have to have ski in/out accommodation but I'd recommend it other than that.

Going to La Thuile this season. Very Happy
ski holidays
OK so in summary avoid:

1, Resorts with no snow.
2, Resorts with accomodation too far from the lifts.
3, French half term
4, Bankso

Otherwise no real consensus.
snow report
Snowhereman wrote:
OK so in summary avoid:

1, Resorts with no snow.
2, Resorts with accomodation too far from the lifts.
3, French half term
4, Bankso

Otherwise no real consensus.

It might be worth adding Italian New Year to the list. Confused
snow report
Les Coches, France
latest report
Flaine. Went there about 20 years ago. Hideous town, and didn't think much of the skiing. Stayed on one of those French apartments where you take two steps in the door and you've passed the bathroom, two beds, and are halfway into the living room/bedroom/kitchen.

Never quite "got" Val d'Isere either. Too much sawtoothing up/down to get from one area to the next, and not enough straight down. One of my mates has been working there every season for (almost) as long as I can remember, so I must be missing something.
snow conditions
Snowhereman, bang on the money.
snow conditions
Wales Laughing
snow conditions
Kranjska Gora, I was there in the '80s with a bunch of blokes, there was no snow, we were drunk for a week and struggled to make the bus in the morning that took us to a wee resort called Mautendorf in Austria.

Alternatively, have you seen the queue's at this place?

http://youtube.com/v/8B10YmpNDaQ Razz
ski holidays
Seefeld, not because it's small, it even had pretty good snow and some OK jib spots on and off the piste. Even all the ski school snakes weren't tooooo tedious, just it's so bland, no interesting terrain anywhere and the furnicular 'sardine tin' lift grrrrrrrrrrr 6 seat gondolas/chairs are so much comfier.

Admitedly we only skied half the resort, 'cos the other side wasn't on our lift pass, but it didn't look any better. We left after 2 hours to go to Nordkette, which is even smaller but waaaay more fun.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 22-01-10 1:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
clarky999, cant wait to show your post to my OH, shes been on about goin to seefeld for the last 5 years and i was never that pushed about it really.
so this may finally put it to rest. is it really that bad?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I only skied half of it, but I didn't even get enough feeling to hate it, it's just bland, and the lifts are dire. If it's a nice small resort she's after, they're plenty of much better ones in Tirol. I think the only people who'd really get anything form Seefeld are 2nd/3rd week skiers moving form blues to reds, and I could think of plenty of better places for them too.
snow report
La Thuile was pretty dire when we were there absolutely nowhere decent to go at night a few nice restarants but only one bar full of kids, weather was awful and when whiteout closed the mountain was only red home under the gondola that skied like a black...scary but we did it over and over cause there was nothing else. Apts were purpose built crappy little closets, so def never again.
snow conditions
Thanks for the info snowmam. La Thuile was on the radar for me & the chums this season until i got a very good price for the Petit Palais in Cervinia. I know it gets mixed reviews but we're spending the money saved on the full area pass for Zermatt. We're still cribbing on whose credit card gets mangled for lunch at the Zumsee restaurant in Zermatt. Happy days! Blush
ski holidays
Bansko.....
1/Was taught how to ski on tarmac.
2/After 2nd day I had a really sore throat i hardly ate, Doctor in Bansko treated me for Tonsillitis .
3/Doctor at home said it was Quincey and i was in Hospital for 5 days, may have been caused by the plunge pool.
4/Ski instructor was abussive to my 13 yr old daughter.
5/Ques at the lift were huge, I mean huge, no really they were huge Mad
latest report
Andorra in general, more specifically Arinsal.

1) No smoking ban
2) Cheeky, ill mannered locals
3) Felt like a 3rd class euro disney (all eateries branded as Vallnord)
4) Crap food
5) Long transfer
ski holidays
Quote:

La Thuile was pretty dire when we were there absolutely nowhere decent to go at night a few nice restarants but only one bar full of kids, weather was awful and when whiteout closed the mountain was only red home under the gondola that skied like a black...scary but we did it over and over cause there was nothing else. Apts were purpose built crappy little closets, so def never again.

Mmm
The nightlife was indeed a total non feature on our visit.

But, I went ot hotel that was very pleasant. Friends have been back on several occasions to good quality appartments so they are there. Any high resort suffers in storms when we went there was certainly more than one run below the tree line severl good ones though not too many meandering blues from memory.

Chacun a son gout.
snow report
Sauze doo doo
ski holidays
Not really concerned about the lack of night life in La Thuile. My hotel has a bar so I think I'll just sit there and natter with my ski buddies in the evening. Getting too old for all that dancing on the tables, lol! Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

Not really concerned about the lack of night life in La Thuile

No, that would never bother me, either. A good group of people, and some nice restaurants; what more could you want?
snow report
Klosters. Without doubt. Its full of old people (not that I've got anything against the grey army) - reason is that its the most boring skiing ever! Wide motorwarys everywhere where even the most incompetent, unfit and aged can look reasonably good. Its so boring I can't even be bothered to write anything more about it......
snow report
Parkyparcours, weird. Presumably you don't ski off piste at all. And did you confine your piste skiing to Klosters itself while you were there? (And, if so, why?)
ski holidays
JuanDavienarey wrote:
We're still cribbing on whose credit card gets mangled for lunch at the Zumsee restaurant in Zermatt. Happy days! Blush

Great choice of restaurant and my favourite in the Alps, but I've never found it to be outrageously expensive. Make sure you book, although I have been able to eat there early (i.e 12:00) without booking, after this time you've no chance. I expect you probably already know all this, but worth posting for any other readers. Cool
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy