Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Report: PYRENEES 09/10

Poster: A snowHead
I'm pretty sure andorra is open all year
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rambotion, ok you can have that one wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Today was a skinning day, not a great day, but not bad, better than working or doing something diferent.

We found windy, crusty, powder, and windblow acumulations....

Future work:

MORE in my blog!!! (http://berniboom.blogspot.com)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bobinch wrote:
Looks like you've got some great terrain there!

yes great terrain. A bit little, but nice one, specially if you want to do some "efforts" (aka hiking or skinning) to make your own line.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This week starts with a lovely forecast, fresh snow over all week with moderate snow-limit level (1200-1300m max). And this time, the wind forecast looks nicer. We need "no wind" to cover some faces, and some rocky areas in the summits, that had been blowed past week

Waiting where the storm hits harder to decide the area to play in during the weekend Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Laughing wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
JasonW, Soldeu el Tarter is scheduled to close this season on the 18th April.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In the Val D'Aran, we had some fresh today over in Bonaigua and it's raining this evening in Salardu. Fingers crossed for tomorrow. Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Heavy snow across the central Pyrenees overnight yesterday and during today. After yesterdays high temperatures and blazing sun we now have 20cm of fresh powder with snow falling down to approximately 800m. Lots of powder to play in especially in the bowls that have collected the wind blown powder from the overnight falls. The heavy snow today has meant poor visibility, but this also kept most of the half term holiday skiers off the mountain. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Current snow depths:

Baqueira Beret - 130/195
Peyragudes - 110/145
Superbagneres - 85/100
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boi Taull reports:
122- to 282cm xDDD

After all we have another great season in course Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yesterday afternoon and today snowed a little bit, not much but enough to fresh up the mountains, between 5-15cm.

And after all the Pyrenees have a nice amount of snow, and despite the stability issues due lots of wind lasts weeks, there're lots of good skiing around.

Saturday skied Puigmal, but only 2 hours in the lifts, lots of people and some queues...so skinned up to the puigmal summit (2910m) and then make our way down in a good snow...

Sunday did a nice couloir in the North face of Cadí, I'll post some photos in the "reports" forum; really nice..
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
andorra closes mid april, though has stayed with limited snow to early may.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I put some sunday photos an a short explanation here:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=62074
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AlTom, Fab - stunning photos as always. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi AlTom

Will be staying near Mont Louis and planning to ski Puigmal or Formiguères for a day, which resort would you reccomend and which is easiest to get to
(we are both intermediate on piste skiers)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
From Mont Luis to Puigmal is only 15-20minutes by car, Formigueres maybe 30minutes.
Puigmal is more alpine feeling and steeper; Formigueres is more sweet, all the resort into the trees, and smaller than Puigmal.
Maybe the landscape is better in Puigmal,....I think both are a good option, more easy slopes in Formigueres.
latest report
Disappointingly high temperatures have softened a lot of the lower slopes in Superbagneres and Peyragudes, however today both resorts were virtually closed to to high wind. Sad Sad

The good news is that the base depths are still very good and with colder weather and snow due after the weekend (fingers crossed) the damage should be limited. Off to Baqueira tomorrow to see how they have fared this week.
snow conditions
"Hard conditions" in altitude. Saturday rained so high, at about 2500-2600m, then refrozen, so difficult crusty conditions. Happily below 2300 high temperatures softened the snow enough to ski in lovely spring conditions.

Today winter returns and temperatures fall some degrees, so maybe hard conditions in general around Pyrenees waiting next storm cycle on Wednesday.
snow report
I'm thinking of visiting Formigal for a day or 2 shortly - Is it worth a go ?
latest report
People....shitting down hard around Catalunya with snow-limit level near 100m...In my town in the center of cataluña (250m) all streets are white and surely will have lots of roads blocked around.

In the Pyrennes the storm will be really hard, specially in the eastern area that can reach 80cm-1m of new snow. Situations like this are diffcult to say how much can bring because all depend on where the L pressure move, and 100km can make all difference. But by now it seems perfectly positioned (in terms of snowfall... Laughing Laughing )

At the moment Masella presents this aspect:

And the forecast is unreal Shocked Shocked

latest report
perfect Toofy Grin
ski holidays
AlTom wrote:

In the Pyrenees the storm will be really hard, specially in the eastern area that can reach 80cm-1m of new snow.

Here in the central Pyrenees we woke up to at least 40cm of new powder at both Superbagneres and Peyragudes. The freezing level is around 100m and snow has been building up in the town all day. With the 40cm from last night and the heavy snow from today we should have a great day tomorrow with 60cm of powder to play in.

It wasn't bad today either - well our guests had a few smiles on their faces. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

ski holidays
10cm of snow has fallen... on the Barcelona beaches!! Toofy Grin

The streets are full of kids yelling and chucking snowballs, and chains might be needed to even get over the city's hill, let alone up to the mountains! Luckily there's a (surprisingly resilient) train, and my fantastic bosses have given me the day off tomorrow when I asked with about 5 minutes' notice at the end of the day today (which I spent watching the snow fall outside our window)... I'm almost making myself sick with excitement Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Oh have a brilliant time. I've skied at La Molina/Masella and love it there. It all looks good for my son who's off to Andorra next weekend.... Enjoy.
snow report
During the last few days the skiing has been awesome. And to top it off after a powder day (60cm) yesterday in clear blue skies we woke up to another 10cm this morning and again the sun has come out. It is very cold (between -10 and -20) depending on where you are however the conditions are truly exceptional. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Pity I have a dodgy ankle and cannot ski with our guests today. Sad
snow conditions
Wow, the powder on Tuesday was awesome, superb quality, dryness and lightness, the stuff of dreams!!! Happy 70cm on the edges of the pistes and much more off-piste... and a beautifully sunny day with not a cloud in the sky (though a very strong wind on some slopes later in the day). As I'd hoped, the trusty train overcame all hurdles and took me and a tiny handful of other equally foolhardy souls all the way from the transport chaos of Barcelona to La Molina in the Eastern Catalan pre-Pyrenees, running just one hour late. The three-hour journey was breathtaking, more like travelling through Lapland than Spain, and since literally the whole of Catalunya was snowed in, with many roads impassable, there were only 50 or so people on the mountain all day! Magic Happy And yesterday was almost as good, according to friends who went up, with the powder still in great condition despite us having chopped it all up the day before Toofy Grin.

It's really, really cold again across the North this week, which is keeping all Catalan and Andorran resorts in great condition despite the very welcome sunshine. Even the minor resorts such as Vallter which usually struggle are enjoying almost two metres of snow! The forecast looks great for the weekend too, so expect some crowds. Masella's now talking about two full months more of skiing, which could mean opening until mid-May like last year's record-breaking season. The Pyrenean gods are truly smiling on us, after the appalling 06/07 and 07/08 seasons.

Hope you all manage to get up to the hills very soon! And hope the ankle thing is only temporary, Ski Guide
snow conditions
Baqueira pretty sweet at the moment. Plenty of fresh and I think everything open. Staying cold so the snow is keeping well and most of the itineraries are open.

ski holidays
Really amazing conditions all over Pyrennees, and finally we can have a whole week of "good" sunny but cotld weather. Specially we need it to stabilize all S orientation that was quite unstable with lots of wind slabs formed. For the new week the forecasts looks like spring conditions. I hope it, we can attempt some S facing descents in spring snow that are waiting us.
ski holidays
AlTom, Enjoy! Very Happy Please send some powder to LDA for this coming week.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Brilliant spring conditions this week! Yesterday we skied Alt Couloir in Comapedrosa, maybe the best descent in Andorra, 900m of SE facing couloir, that we skied in the correct time to taste that nice spring snow. I'll put later some photos in a "proper" report.

But today things change and f*****g rain and too high temperatures hit us this weekend, so not the best conditions to ski, maybe tomorrow a bit better.

The good news are that after the front will pass us the winds will change and the cold and snow will returns. We hold tons of snow in the mountains, next week I hope will be better.
snow report
Some Pics and a trip report from my recent trip to the Val d'Aran \ Baqueira here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=63153#1494016
snow report
Heading out to Ax Les Thermes next week and getting slightly concerned about the warm weather - is there going to be any snow left to ski?
snow report
The last two weeks of high temperatures in the Eastern Pyrenees have taken their toll, at least on the Spanish side, and a good half-metre of snow has melted off all slopes. Thanks to the intense snowfall three weeks ago, however, we're merely back at the levels we had beforehand (more or less 90cm on lower slopes and 150cm on upper slopes).

There's no doubt that we're currently into serious spring conditions, with the snow turning slushy by lunchtime, and almost unusable by 3pm. (Great for the tan when the sun's out, though!) It's only snowmaking that's keeping the high-volume pistes alive, and even that's impossible with high night temperatures; La Molina's had a particularly bad run of things, and it's more suitable for rafting than skiing right now. Sensibly, the smaller resorts are closing pistes that are not covered by snowmaking to try to preserve them for this weekend and Easter. Don't get me wrong; there's still nice skiing to be had… I even found a thin layer of fresh on a little-known piste yesterday at Masella, thank to the minor snowfall the night before. But it's the typical spring thing where you have to pick and choose your runs depending on time of day, so some familiarity with the resort helps.

Looking ahead, it seems that sub-zero daytime temperatures and new snowfall are predicted for the middle of next week, so the resorts must be breathing a sigh of relief as they prepare for the Easter weekend.

nickr, the French side seems to have got luckier with the temperatures than the Spanish side over the last week, and Ax has held out ok given that it's a pretty low resort. The predicted snow would certainly freshen things up a bit from its current 60cm–70cm levels.
snow conditions
I spended the last 2 days in the western Pyrenees, and vintage year there, lots of snow. We stayed in Balneario de Panticosa and in at 1600m it still have acumulations over 60cm (natural snow in the valley). We skinned some 3000m and I don't know how much snow they have, my probe is only 200cm..... Shocked Shocked Shocked

Yestarday afternoon started to rain again so we came back home, but another time this area recibes about 30cm of new snow above 1600m...

Local forecasts for this week aren't too bad, so maybe new snow on thursday can bring us good days..
snow conditions
a couple of photos of Sunday, we did the "Garmo_Negro" (3066m) from Balneario de Panticosa (1600m). Amazing views, and TONS of snow:

MORE IN MY BLOG.....http://berniboom.blogspot.com/2010/03/garmo-black-3066m.html
ski holidays
AlTom, I was chatting to some guys the last time I was out your way and they suggested that there is a route down from the Aneto Glacier giving maybe 2000m of descent. Do you know if that's correct ?
snow conditions
david@mediacopy wrote:
AlTom, I was chatting to some guys the last time I was out your way and they suggested that there is a route down from the Aneto Glacier giving maybe 2000m of descent. Do you know if that's correct ?

Not exactly, if they speak about descent by the south face, in winter you con reach the valley at 1400m of Plan de Senarta. But the route isn't obvious, and isn't a direct descent. If you descent for Vallibierna valley when you arrive at Refuge of pescadors at 1950, then you only have a track (and normally barried for several avalanches, so lots of rest of debris, trees, etc...). Yes, at the end you finish with 2000m of vertical, but not the best vertical that you can do from Aneto.

The good side of Aneto, is the glacier side, you ski down Plan d'aigualluts at 2000m, giving a nice 1400m of vertical, plus 250m to reach llanos del hospital, but really flat this part and need some walk. But in my opinion is a must do!! Park your car in Llanos del Hospital at 1750m, then in the afternoon skin up to La Renclusa refuge (2140m) in about 2h; eat and sleep there, and the next day in about 5-6h reach the top of the Pyrenees. Then direct descent to Plan d'Aigualluts, and add 2hours more to reach the car....

You can see it from past year here:
http://berniboom.blogspot.com/2009/04/o-rei-aneto-3404m.html

One of the longests descents of the Pyrennes is the Posets (3375m) directly to Viadós side, arriving at 1680m, so about 1700m!!! Shocked Shocked
We will try to do in the next weeks...
ski holidays
AlTom, Cheers for that. The glacier side is the one I fancied after looking at it from afar for so long. I'll see if I can talk my mates into it !
ski holidays
david@mediacopy wrote:
AlTom, Cheers for that. The glacier side is the one I fancied after looking at it from afar for so long. I'll see if I can talk my mates into it !

This past Monday we did Tempestades (3278m) next to the Aneto, in the distance the descent from Aneto to Plan d'aigualluts looks sweeeeet.....

One photo of Aneto from Tempestades:

Another looking plan d'aigualluts at 2000m, is the flat at the bottom...

Lots of photos HERE:
http://berniboom.blogspot.com/2010/04/tempestades-3278m.html
snow report
AlTom, Good work !
snow conditions
Perfect spring skiing in the Pyrenees....the mountains still have insane loads of snow at altitude (we measured 270cm of snow at 2500m), and nobody seems to ski it..... Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled

This past sunday we skied ERISTE (3056m)

A really north face with a continuous descent to 1800m.....nice!!! Starting with packed powder snow, and finishing in perfect spring snow!!!

Some pics:

MORE OF COURSE, HERE:
http://berniboom.blogspot.com/2010/04/eriste-3056m.html
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy