Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

cross country and down hill resort information please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
pam w,

Personally I haven't found any. My latest boots are these http://www.salomon.com/uk/#/nordic/boots/boots/s-lab-skiathlon. They may be a bit heavier than the equivalent classic, and they may have slightly less for and aft flex for doing classic stride and glide than a straight classic boot but they have enough. They definitely have slightly more flex than the equivalent skate boot so aren't quite as good for skating as the equivalent skate boot, but I think they are a good compromise.

Only disadvantage was the price.

For general use the active combi pilot or pro combi pilot are probably just as good, just slightly heavier and slightly cheaper. The one weak point of the Salomens is probably the zip - mine have been OK so far, but we've had a couple of zips go in the club

I am very pleased with them for skating on rollers - very precise control due to the ankle support. My older Fischer combi/pursuit boots were good, but they are now softening up and flexing a bit more than I'd like - so I'm using them for training in the main.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dave Horsley, thanks. I'd like to get back into the cross-country a bit, but I was really struggling to control speed downhill with those slipper-style boots!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w,

If you get a modern combi boot, or even a modern classic boot they have much more ankle support than the old classic slipper type boots and you'll notice a lot more control on the downhills.

If you are buying new boots just watch out that the new boots will fit your old bindings. Fischer have now moved over to NNN - their boots used to fit Salomon binding system and now don't. My boots (old Fischer and new Salomon) are all pilot bindings - the boot has a double bar. They are designed to for salomon pilot bindings but also fit the salomon manual Profil binding and the new (but not old) automatic profil binding. Though you can take a hacksaw to the old auto profil binding to make it work with a pilot boot.

On rollers for skate I prefer the profil binding as I get a better return of the ski to the heel of the boot. On the pilot binding the heel return is poor, but the extra bar does give better lateral stability so you get more control on downhills and corners. The poor heel returm may well be specific to rollers though as the ski is short its dificult to mount the binding at the balence point and not have your heel rubbing on the back wheel. Real skis should be less of a problem, but i can't comment much as I hardly ski my pilot equiped skate skis I'm usually out on classics.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
I hesitate to do the beginner course yet again! I've done it twice already.

You'd probably benefit more from an intermediate course instead. Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
abc, maybe, but I didn't exactly feel I'd mastered the beginner level....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
abc, maybe, but I didn't exactly feel I'd mastered the beginner level....

The way I look at it, if you're already handling "beginer" trails comfortably, and probably venturing into "intermediate" trails from time to time, it stands to reason you probably need intermediate lesson to "master" the intermediate trails! Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
any experts out there who can recommend the right classic cross country ski's for a recreational beginner?

i have exactly one day's experience behind me (today) and am keen to buy the gear. the austrian kid in the shop here recomended some Fisher Cruisers XL 189cm for about Eur 200 all in for boots, binding and skis. This is their longest length. However checking out the Atomic website I see the Pro Classics have as their next to shortest length 189cm with longest 210cm. I'm a pretty big guy (6'5 ; 105kg's) so normally taking the biggest/longest works out just fine but how can there be such a descrepancy between the longest length on the Fishers and the Atomics (21cm) ?

I rented the Fisher XL's today and they felt a little short ... hence the question

AMI: started off with a 5km in Bockstein and then in the afternoon another 5km in Sportgastein. Your point about the altitude is correct !
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fishers are always short. Don't ask me why.

Also look at their width. Some skis are long and skinny. Others fat and short. Wink

This thread had changed direction more times than the schedule of Easy Jet! Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Also it will depend on how stiff they are. Looking at the web site the XL is whats recommended for someone of your weight. They do look to be a fairly wide and short ski though.
You could do the paper test to check the middle of the ski is off the ground when you stand as if both skis were equally weighted and that when you weight just the one ski the centre presses down onto the paper so its is trapped. Usually done to check waxing skis for size and stifness and find where the wax pocket is.

Myself I ski on and older model of the SC shown here: http://www.fischer-ski.com/en/products_ski.php5?show=detail&id_product=18625# in either 197 or 202 (can't remember which). This is a waxing ski, but I'd always go for a waxing ski if I was skiing on good snow with sub zero temps. I also have a salomon crown (waxless) ski which gets the most use here in scotland as its easier to use if the snow is poor and the temps warm. However, as a beginner a crown (non waxing ski) is probably the best bet. If you were looking for something a bit more traditional from Fischer then something like the fibre crown http://www.fischer-ski.com/en/products_ski.php5?show=detail&id_product=18503 is in more traditional lengths.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy