Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Airport charges for Snowboard Carriage

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi i am travelling with Crystals in January and will be taking a snowboard for the first time, thing is i forgot to pay the extra for carriage. Do they check to see if you have paid for carriage the reason i ask is when i have watched people taking bags before with Crystal they didnt weigh them but had to be dropped off at the far end of the checkout desks!

Anyone ever tried to take a board without paying? Toofy Grin did it work? Toofy Grin do you have to pay double if you get caught? Embarassed
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I know people have brought skis back when they haven't paid the charge, not sure about on the way out though.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can't you pay for it even if you initially forgot?
Both Ryanair and EasyJet have always weighed my board bag and seemed to be "aware" that I had booked sports equipment..
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
They've always seemed to know when we have flown that we have pre booked.

I'm sure in this day and age with the charter airlines it's very difficult to get anything past them! (Unfortunatly)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When i've flown Transatlantic then i've not had to pay extra for the board as it counts as my second bit of luggage, but have always had to pay extra for Easyjet or Ryan, and that was my only hold luggage.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
andybabes, i have done crystal packages for the last few years flying out with monarch. this applies to monarch and dublin, but might apply to other setups. Monarchs policy is that on their charter flights sports equipment is included, crystal however like you to pay. when you roll up at the desk, the girl on the desk will tell you that you need to pay. be polite and explain that you have never paid before etc etc. eventually you are asked to see the serviceair staff at a separate counter. they get out their big book of charges and lo and behold monarch don't charge............ they then explain to the girl on the desk the error of her ways....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
All depends on who you're flying with and the check-in staff.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have used crystal and carriage must be paid for in advance to gaurantee you skis / board get on the plane.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andybabes wrote:
Hi i am travelling with Crystals in January and will be taking a snowboard for the first time, thing is i forgot to pay the extra for carriage. Do they check to see if you have paid for carriage the reason i ask is when i have watched people taking bags before with Crystal they didnt weigh them but had to be dropped off at the far end of the checkout desks!

Anyone ever tried to take a board without paying? Toofy Grin did it work? Toofy Grin do you have to pay double if you get caught? Embarassed

Mate..........

Just pay it.

The cost is just not worth the potential hassle, at what, for a lot of people, is a very stressful time (check-in).

Coming back is often different (if you bought out in resort).

john.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The TO or airline tend to charge more if you do not pre book the carraige and technically could do you as excess baggage per kg - stump up and be done with it !
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sitter, i am flying with thomson
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andybabes, It's in the booking (that the check-in agent is looking at!) ... what you've seen is people being directed to 'Heavy Bag' ..drop off. Id be delighted if you tried it on ... do tell us what happens Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I believe you can login on the crystal website and add ski/board carriage to your booking.

For £15, I always add it! As like BCjohnny said, "The cost is just not worth the potential hassle"
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have to say my last trip was with crystal and we decided to take an extra board bag in the end (mine) as the other one was too heavy, I phoned Crystal but it was too late to put it on the booking so they said I had to pay at check in. On arrival at check in I duly advised that we had one extra bag that needed to be paid for which she said we will do that after the other stuff. After all 6 of us had done bag weighing and passports etc she sent us off to oversize... no mention of paying Toofy Grin

So I got a freebie but purely by mistake snowHead wouldnt risk it though as they can in extreme circumstances refuse to take the bag and that would be a royal PITA.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Up to you if you want to run the risk. I got lucky at the end of the Winter, didn't add an extra bag on to the booking for returning home (wouldn't let me anyway for some reason) so turned up at the airport prepared to pay for it. Lady at check-in put it through as ski/board equipment so was free (BA) so ended up costing me less than had I sorted it in advance, just had to pay for the excess weight.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy