Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Info on skiing for a season at Revelstoke?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

My wife and I are going to spend a ski season in Canada this winter, and we're thinking of heading to Revelstoke. I've heard that job opportunities and seasonal accommodation could be limited. Have had a look at the local paper online for rental/share accomm but there doesn't seem to be many ads for the season accomm as yet. We should be able to get by (just) without working and have applied for work permits as we wanted to pick the resort based on the skiing rather than employment prospects.

As the resort's only been open for a couple of seasons, I'm finding it a bit hard to find first-hand information/advice from former seasonaires. If any Snowheads have info on finding seasonal accommodation, picking up work (either on the slopes or in town) and the general atmosphere of the town itself, I'd be most grateful!

We're hoping to arrive in mid November, and then sort out accommodation and work. Is it possible to find share accommodation in the town when you arrive, or is this risky?

Many thanks for any advice!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Revelstoke has been open for years - it's just the lift system is new! It's my understanding that Revelstoke is a good "old fashioned" town and the jobs are just normal small town jobs - not ski industry orientated.

However, you shouldn't go around boasting about a season in Revelstoke lest you wish to invoke jealous & violent rages in those around you! Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alexandra wrote:
.....However, you shouldn't go around boasting about a season in Revelstoke lest you wish to invoke jealous & violent rages in those around you! Laughing

Mixed reviews here. Looks like you can get really good snow - but I am not sure I would want a season there.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
achilles, I tend to take SCGB with a pinch of salt - having met enough of their members... Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alexandra, it's not SCGB comment, it's that of 3 of their members. When I was a member of the SCGB I found them no less weird than I find my fellow snowHeads today, so I guess most are run of the mill skiers. What did you think of the comments on Revelstoke?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
didn't the bin off all the 2nd, 3rd etc phase works at revelstoke this year as they couldn't get any funding? so not sure how much woprks going to be around.

These SCGB reviews are interesting, poeple I knwo who have been have all said go before they develop it much more.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 18-09-09 13:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alexandra, That might say more about you than them. Lots of fairly sensible snowHeads are members.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Here and here for more information.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
parlor, good links - full of typical TGR edge- but some useful info as well. For potential visitors:

Quote:
Oh, and there's 3 chairs, a Gondola, and a magic carpet.... Easily managed with 15 lifties with supervisors/patrol/etc to cover.

Quote:
I've been to Rev a few times last year and honestly think it's a great place, but it's too far from big cities and thanks god has no major airports near by either, that's what makes Rev so great to most of us: good snow, no crowded slopes and big time back country, Unfortunately the two things can't coexist and I think that an uncrowded ski resort is an utopia.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
well isn't it smack bang in the middle of th eroad between kampaloops and calargy so there two airports near (in canadian terms at least) byish.. or are North Americas not up for a bit of a transfer?

Hopefully get a day or two in Revelstoke in feb, so will report back, but obviously thats a bit late for the OP
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks very much for all the advice - and parlor esp for the links, there seem to be some pretty heated opinions Wink

From what I've read on the net, Revvy is supposed to be skiing heaven for advanced/expert skiers but lacks the nightlife (I assume this is because low tourist volume, which means no lift queues on the upside). Would anyone know if it's difficult to find work and/or accommodation in the town as I understand that postponed expansion of the mountain resort may mean there aren't too many jobs going there?

Thanks again for your thoughts.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
youstupidboy, how old are you? <29 you might be able to find work but you will need a work permit before you apply. I believe BUNAC is the only way...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Parlor, thanks for the heads up - we've submitted our Canadian work applications - I'm 30 and able to apply before I turn 31 (which is v lucky). Hopefully they'll turn it around in 4-6 weeks.

At the moment we are tossing up between Whistler (accomm will be an issue esp b/c of the Olympics), Revelstoke (would be our preference based on skiing alone though finding both accomm and work could be difficult) and Banff (may be the easiest option to find both accomm and work but the bus each day and cold snaps would be the downside)...decisions decisions!! Doubt we'll get the chance to ski for a season again - or will be too old to appreciate it - so trying to weigh it all up!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
youstupidboy, ROAD TRIP....!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stoatsbrother wrote:
youstupidboy, ROAD TRIP....!
Deffinately Toofy Grin

We did last year and spent time at Revvy, we were also there the previous year too.

As to the original question, its a small town and the mountain doesnt need a lot of staff, some of whom lived there. I beleive they had a policy of trying to hire local if poss Confused to ease the wheels locally. I heard this from a local lifty though so ???

Met a couple who were out there for the season from Blighty, they had hired a house for $2000 per month, but were sharing it with 3 other couples so didnt seem that bad. Apparently though accom. was hard to come by so they said.

The slopes were as quiet this year as they were last season when we visited. We had great snow and with some pow wink and blue skies. i quite like the place as it is and will be sorry in one respect when it gets developed and full of glitz. It does apprently get its busy moments, during peak holiday seasons and then the town doesnt have enough beds to cope with demand Shocked Shocked I would think if you were to spend a season there and not ski anywhere else while over there, you would certainly pick your days and wish you had. If you like tree skiing they have loads Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
stoatsbrother, then I can only assume they are hidden away in Resort X, because all the ones I come across are complete knob-jockeys who talk utter pump.

achilles, I thought the 3 comments on Revelstoke were "fair" - I wish there had been more though and the most recent one was from season 07-08 I think. It would be most unusual to find somewhere that satisfied 100% of clientele... one person's "fairytale mountain paradise" is another's "boring, no-nightlife hellhole".

Whilst not indicitive of *all* SCGB members, the Brits "en masse" seem out of their depth in North America and/or locations which don't cater for getting shi*tfaced 24/7 along with 300 or so of their closest friends. wink

I rate SCGB members the same as I do snowhead ones.
latest report
Alexandra, I thought I was a stroppy git Shocked

Probably the decent SCGB members hide when they hear you coming NehNeh wink

Having spent 30 weeks so far skiing US and Canada - and hoping to do another 30, I can say that there are lots of us getting on quietly with enjoying skiing in NA and avoiding people getting shit-faced. I go to Europe to join in with that... have you been on one of the bashes? wink

Anyway - enough of broad brush generalisations - how is selling one of least reliable marques of vehicle going? wink NehNeh
snow conditions
I've been to Revy twice since it opened - once the week after they opened the gondola and had 3 of the best days skiing of my life there - exploring the trees with random locals and ski bums from Western Canada, then 1 day last winter with low snowpack and abnormally high pressure cold which was one of the most unpleasant of my life (including sheltering in the lift hut with the poma enginees to warm up after a particularly frostbite inducing chair ride). After the first trip I was ready to sell up & move there for good, if it weren't for the absurdly high real estate prices. The town is I think comparable to Fernie & Rossland & is probably a bit quainter than Golden. Rental properties are apparently few & far between though & jobs very scarce.
snow conditions
Thanks very much for all the replies, , it seems that we would have needed to be in Revy now and looking for accomm. As we won't arrive in Canada until Nov, we will look into Whistler and Banff as alternatives and try to get to Revy for a couple of weeks in April!
snow conditions
@youstupidboy, Hey, sorry to bother you, did you end up going to Revy?

Im looking at heading out there for next season, and wondering if you had any contacts for securing accomodation before we head out there?

Many thanks

Timbo
snow report
@timbo86, Welcome to SH.

This is a very old thread. Try sending @youstupidboy, a PM. This will alert him with an email if his address is still current.
snow conditions
Cad99uk thanks so much! Will do!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy