Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski/snow iPhone app

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Not sure whether I should post this in the equipment section or not...... Also couldn't find much doing a forum search.

Anyway, what iPhone app do people recommend for checking out snow conditions at ski resorts, mountain weather and resort/piste maps? I'd like it to deal with European resorts as most seem to be North America orientated.

I use an app called WorldView to look at some webcams of resorts, but they're usually quite limited.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hammerite, I'm currently using View2Ski. Seems to be very quick, has loads of cams in Chamonix (looks limited in Italy at the moment) and best of all is Free. For piste maps I use ITrailMap. Also Free. Not brilliant, but pretty good as things develop......
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is one called The North Face no comment as i have not used it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The one I use is the REI Snow Report and have to say that it is excellent. Even has webcam of Kappl (where I'm off to with family). It's part of Zumobi Network if this helps. Has webcams etc and from memory loads of other really useful links etc.

Did have another one called SkiReport but this was crap. Also try SnowTrails which is supposed to be a GPS thingy that give you speeds whilst skiing - although I've never bothered using as I'm too busy enjoying myself
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boabski, REI must have improved since I last used it - I found that it never updated and was quite frequently wrong for the Portes Du Soleil. Things do change rapidly with updates though. I now tend to just use View2Ski which is only Web Cams, but it seems to cover almost every web cam available in every resort, and use this in conjunction with whatever normal Weather App I have running at the time. My piste map application is more of a waste of time - although it shows the piste maps I need, I still prefer to use the good old fashioned paper! Apps - what did we do before them..! wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Tatty, to be honest there a nice wee gimmick for your phone but in reallity when you're at the resort you never check webcams/snow reports anyway as you're normally inundated with live feeds of the webcams etc in the hotel. Think it will be good though once they get a decent piste mapping system that gives you your miles covered, average speed, top speed etc - now that would be good (and very do-able)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whilst I was sat at the car dealer awaiting a lift home I was searching the app store for ski, there appeared to be an app that does what you want boabski,

http://www.bigairsoftware.com/

they also do a free version withotu the GPS tracking
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski, Think I had looked at that in the past but at that time was only available for North America, Will look into though. ta muchy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boabski, you are absolutely right - I look at them every day in the run up to the holiday, but once there, they are forgotten about!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the suggestions.

Like Boab and Tatty I'd probably not use one while I'm away, but I spend about 30 mins every day for the 6 weeks leading up to a holiday checking out the situation, webcams, weather forecasts (from about 5 different forecasters Embarassed ) and snow conditions. I then compare with my boss to where she's booked Laughing . And it's not like you'd permanently be wanting to check your phone out while you are actually on the move.

I wouldn't bother with the GPS things though. I've downloaded a fitness programme as I do a lot of cycling and running, it tracks GPS for speed and mapping etc.... in the 1 trial I used it for it ate 75% of the battery with only an hours use!! Luckily I don't need to rely on it, as I also have a garmin wrist GPS (Forerunner) to record my sessions.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski wrote:
Whilst I was sat at the car dealer awaiting a lift home I was searching the app store for ski, there appeared to be an app that does what you want boabski,

http://www.bigairsoftware.com/

they also do a free version withotu the GPS tracking

That's iTrailMap 3D. I used that last year to record a morning's skiing and it actually worked quite well, although I'm not sure about how many stats it produces. But for a clear pictorial, zoomable and rotatable 3D view of your exploits it worked perfectly well. Does of course sap power but from memory I recorded a couple of hours no problems, before turning it off to keep power for the actual 'phone side of things!

The piste map was a zoomable reproduction of a slightly out-of-date map, but there's no way to reproduce the ease of studying a proper piste map on a screen that is 3.5" in size...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nicked from another thread.....

http://www.mammut.ch/en/safetyapp.html

Mammut launches iPhone app.
The all new Mammut Safety App aims to help snow sport enthusiasts in assessing the local avalanche risk: It features a clinometer to estimate the slope angle, a compass to determine the slope exposition, and an altimeter. Furthermore, the application includes links to all the avalanche bulletins worldwide and the personal safety equipment requirements.

Anyone got any other favourite iPhone ski apps??
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SnowTrails. GPS system giving you speed, distance etc. Again would probably be reluctant to use abroad due to (assumed) costs. It does work very well however, hen on bike/going for walk etc
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boabski wrote:
SnowTrails. GPS system giving you speed, distance etc. Again would probably be reluctant to use abroad due to (assumed) costs. It does work very well however, hen on bike/going for walk etc

Haven't used the app so can't comment on that, but be very careful with your use of GPS on the iPhone. It can eat your battery life very quickly, you need to keep checking battery wear. I'd hate for someone to be using their GPS, get stuck somewhere (not necessarily on mountain, but maybe a bike problem etc....) and not have any power left to actually make a rescue phone call.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have one example here, from application that work on every GPS phone, it somehow automatically maps and draws separately the places where i'm going down the slope, and uphill with the chairlift: http://www.sportypal.com/Workouts/Details/111910
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy