Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Black Crows Navis Mounting

Poster: A snowHead
Hey

Wondering if anyone can give me a bit of advice as I can't find any info anywhere on this? I've got a pair of Navis 186 which I have mounted up with some Naxo NX21s. I asked for these 2/2.5cm forward of the line (-next to the serial #, not the ^^ graphics) as I want this ski to be good everywhere and the line looked pretty far back coming from the P4s.

When I clip my boot in the centre line on the boot is only just over 1cm forward from the line on the ski. Technically the mount is fine.

Anyway, has anyone got any thoughts on this? Will they ski okay on piste at this position (I know they are still nice in the BC as I skied my mates at 2.5cm forward)? I'm 5.11 and about 13 stone.

Basically do I get the shop to remount 1 cm or more forward and wee wee them off and put another set of holes in these or have I just got too much time on my hands at work?

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Never used the ski before so technically don't know. If this is the same for you then try them for a week first, If all seems fine then leave them, no sense in drilling lots of holes in a perfectly good ski for the sake of it. If you're not happy with the ski on piste have a go at changing them.

That said If you really love your tuning and set-ups i'm sure SKIMOTTARET will be able to give you a full blown explanaition!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kesone1, I'm pretty sure smallzookeeper has experience with the navis from his work in Cham. May be worth firing him a PM.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nice one guys. PMd smallzookeeper on this one but any other experiences appreciated. Think I've just gone a bit crazy over the summer and become obsessed with mounting points.

Going to try them at Hemel this weekend before I get out to Chamonix so I'll see what happens.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kesone1, I've only skied them in the recommended mounting position, both on and off-piste, and found this fine.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
To be honest it would be worth taking a look and speaking with you a bit more, not much to be done here over text i'm afraid.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have a pair of these with the bindings set on the line and my opinion is that it's too far back and I struggled with them on the snow. I've already decided to get them remounted but haven't decided yet at what position - I was going to seek some expert advice in the next month or so, including looking into the option of an adjustable binding if one is available, with my first port of call being a visit to Spyderjon to do his course. I'd be very interested to hear how you get on, I'll keep you updated if I make any progress myself.

Some pics of mine (if I can get the links to work):

snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Basil Short_trousers, Spyderjon can do balance board analysis as I'm sure you have seen on his site.
Also consider what your binding delta angles are as this can affect your stance and how the skis feel. See Spyderjons site for info on this too. Especially if you have changed the type of binding you use. CEM and AndiMcCann can advise on this (see allignment section www.solutions4feet.com or http://www.mccannix.com/) If you are thinking about geting the balance board work done it is good to have the alignement done first then Jon can shim your bindings and put them where ever you decide at the same time. AFAIK the delta angle can affect the outcome of the balance board.

I've not done the balance board but have had allignment and am pleased with it.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 20-09-09 19:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I tried a pair of Black Crows on hire and loved them, then later bought a pair and haven't got on with them - and the only thing that has changed is the bindings...
So a visit to CEM/Andi first followed by a visit to Spyderjon - that's a plan, thanks for the info!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Basil Short_trousers, All do is buy a new pair of the Griffon Skitzo, it's their new binding that allows you to play with this until your happy, plus you can move forward/back depending how you ride in different conditions. pretty sure it will drop straight into the existing holes, but will need to confirm.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've just Googled them - OMG they're lovely! And expensive... If they could sort out my problems I'd be in 7th heaven. They specify 60mm adjustment, would you happen to know which way this adjustment works: if they fitted the existing holes from my Griffons, would this then give me 60mm forwards adjustment, or 30mm forwards and backwards?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You should be able to adjust it off the ski then put it where you like, think about it!!!! Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Right. Got down to Hemel for a couple of hours on Sat to try the skis out. Kind of hard to tell as you can only get a couple of turns in on these but I actually thought they worked quite well at +1cm. If I could change I'd probably get forward a tiny bit more but you could definitely get a nice ripped turn but you really need to be on them as they are so stiff in the tail.

Did feel like a lot of tip out front but it's just a longer and more traditional ski than I'm used to and it's bound to be good in the pow. Every run felt a bit more dialed in and they kick up a nice rooster which is obviously very important. Was a bit worried about the naxos before I rode them but to be honest I didn't even really notice the difference from my alpines.

So I'm going to keep them where they are and just pray for lots of snow this season. Don't think they would be too fun on the ice.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kesone1, cool, glad you seem to have got them sorted.

RPF, I went to see CEM and found that my boots were not ideal, a little too big and being Fischer with the Somatec V position they probably weren't best suited to the way my legs work... So one pair of new boots and custom liners later - I have an appointment with CEM/Andi McCann on 24th Oct for balancing. So it seems I'm taking the long route round to getting my skis sorted, my poor poor wallet Shocked
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Basil Short_trousers, In the end its the short route. Problem now is if you cant ski we
ll you know its not your kit Shocked wink
ski holidays
RPF, lol, I hadn't thought of it like that - yes the pressure's on in terms of my skiing ability Very Happy
snow conditions
Went to see Andi McCann on Saturday - wow what an interesting session that was, one hour later had adjusted boots with added shims.

Andi said that for my personal set-up I should be looking for bindings that keep the sole of the boot almost parallel to the ski with no more than a 2mm raise at the external heel. He demonstrated how easy it is check this measurement even in the rushed environment of a hire shop, so very useful. Then looking at the Black Crows he said that they need the binding raised at the toe by 3mm. I later spoke to Spyderjon, explained what Andi has said, and about the Black Crows that I’d hired with Salomon bindings and really liked, and then the pair I’d bought with Marker Griffons and the subsequent problems, and he replied, “but of course”! The Salomon’s have a 2mm heel lift, the Griffon’s have 5mm!! So both Andi and Jon agree that the bindings need a 3mm raise at the toe. I’m booked into to see Jon on 16th December (the same day as Hemel) - so can’t wait! snowHead

Another interesting thing that has come out of this is that my new boots being smaller are shorter so the bindings have had to be adjusted forward, which has pushed the centreline of the boots forward relative to the ski by 5mm. Not as much as the 1cm of kesone1's Black Crows, but I’m hoping it will be an improvement.

kesone1, just curious, but what bindings do you have on yours?
snow conditions
Basil Short_trousers, I will probably be shot at for this, but griffons are flat, they have no mounting delta i.e heel and toe are at the same height?? looks and rossi have 5mm rise at heel.

see here http://www.skibartlett.com/marker-griffon-12-freestyle-ski-binding-666-p.asp
latest report
carroz, I hope you're not shot - your post has made me question what I've been told and that's not a bad thing Smile I’ve got the skis and boots out and taken a few measurements and it does seem that the measurements are correct, the photo below shows the gap between the base of the boot and the base of the ski at the toe end to be around 37mm, and at the heel 41mm i.e. a 4mm difference (so not 5mm, but close).

latest report
Hey Basil. I've only skied these with naxos briefly but rode another pair with some rossi axial 150s which was a nice set up.

Got a sweet deal on some axial 200 frees for about £120 so going to remount and sell the naxos as I don't think I'll tour too much and have some trekkers. Might go to 2cm forward depending on previous holes as I'm only 13st and 5'11 *cue much dithering*. The rossis are 15mm at the front and 19mm back which I think is the same as the 150s which worked well. Naxos have a 3mm ramp. Good luck.
snow conditions
Basil Short_trousers, Those measurements are very interesting. This is very odd, why do marker advertise them as having zero delta when they are obviously not? Its just i have some griffrons purchased for the reson of zero delta as i have small feet so it has a greater effect. Think i may put the salomons i have on instead....oh bother as they say! Shock
snow report
carroz, Laughing, never believe the marketing. The profile of the ski can also make quite a difference to the actual delta as it's not unknown for there to be 2/3mm difference in the thickness of the ski at the toe/heel mounting points. The only way to get an accurate measure is to a clamped-up 'dry mount' in the required fore/aft position on the ski & then measure as in the pics above, then shim accordingly. If you need shims let me know wink
snow report
carroz wrote:
Basil Short_trousers, Those measurements are very interesting. This is very odd, why do marker advertise them as having zero delta when they are obviously not? Its just i have some griffrons purchased for the reson of zero delta as i have small feet so it has a greater effect. Think i may put the salomons i have on instead....oh bother as they say! Shock

Very strange. I was pretty sure the griffon/jesters had 0deg ramp!? Possibly its only on the Jester. I will check laters. okaybye/.
latest report
Wondering where you guys/gals picked up your Black Crows skis? I"ve been looking for a pair here state side for some time but haven't been able to find them anywhere. Heard rumors that someone might try selling them here but haven't heard anything on that since either.

Interested in new or used really... if anyone has any information I'd greatly appreciate it. Also interested if someone doesn't like their pair and is looking to off load them.

ecksteinmax@yahoo.com
ski holidays
http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=7022

These guys deliver to the US or search Black Crows Europe and you'll find a few others. Haven't seen them in the states at the usual stores. Sick ski although I had a go on the Sevun before Christmas and that was amazing if you are guaranteed a bit more pow over there. They sell a load in the shops in Chamonix so you could contact direct as the French are usually so helpful. Especially if you are a yank!
snow report
telemarkcolorado, Freeride in Meribel were stocking them last season, but I'm not sure about this season ... I haven't noticed any in the shop, but maybe worth a look at their website
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy