Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saas Fee recommendations?

Poster: A snowHead
As our usual place in zermatt is'nt avaible we've decided to try somewhere new (even if its only over the next valley) so does any one have any recommendations or advice for a break in Saas Fee in mid december? which lift is best to stay near, any good bars places to be, and accomodation.

cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Happy Bar is cool, not in the center but Saas Feen isn't that big! Popcorn is ok but gets full of younger folks now.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
how expensive is the beer on the swiss scale of expensive to very expensive?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Most people head up the Alpin Express, but there are few hotels in that part of the village. The alternative is to take one of the nursery slope lifts and cross to the Felskinn (or follow the track back to the Alpin Express). There is a good selection of hotels close to the nursery slopes. Can't recommend any individual hotels, though, because I've not stayed in them, but the food in the Mistral and the Waldesruh is quite good. For apres ski there is the Black Bull, but the bars have always been beyond me in the evenings.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
is there a free ski bus? more importantly where can I get the best gipfel from
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We stayed in an apartment called Helvetia (I want to say Helvetica but I think that might be a font on Windows!) - 5 minute walk to the main gondola up to top. Saas Fee is car-less so I don't think there's a ski bus, but some of the hotels have little electric golf-type buggies that they ferry people around in. Popcorn's good for late evenings, and we spent Christmas Day in the rotating restaurant at the top. Have fun!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
papasmurf, My neighbour has a flat in Saas Fee. Are you staying in hotel or are you looking for apartment. If interested PM me and I'll give you his details. He could give you a much better lowdown than me since I've never been Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There was a free electric skibus last season. There are several shops where you can buy a range of gipfeln and several small supermarkets if you are self-catering.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Best bar is the Black Bull, in town but quite near the end of the slopes. Its very lively between about 16.00h and 19.00h - much more so than the bars in Zermatt. Music is very German Europop (Ballermann).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We stayed in the Glacier hotel on a Warren Smith ski camp a few weeks ago - I'd recommend there - nice big rooms! Food v.good. Only thing is the pillows were poor...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
papasmurf wrote:
is there a free ski bus? more importantly where can I get the best gipfel from

Not knowing what a gipfel was (apart from meaning a mountain summit or peak in German), a quick internet search has revealed that it is also the Swiss name for a croissant.
Amazing what you learn on Snowheads. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I stayed at the Domino for a couple of weeks (split over two seasons) a few years ago. Friendly and cheapish and nice - but B&B only. You could skip the buses and potter down to the main lifts - but it was a bit of a hike. The walk back could be interesting, too. The hotel's home page is here.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We have stayed in the Hotel Glacier - good size rooms, good buffet style meals and friendly, helpful staff. We have also stayed in the Hotel Elite - a smaller family run hotel, smaller but pleasant rooms and excellent food (dinner served at your table) and very warm and welcoming. Would happily return to either and they are similar distances from the lifts, being near the centre of the village.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Having visited Zermatt a number of times and Saas Fee once - I think you need to think this one through carefully. Our visit to Saas Fee was only for 4 days and even for that short a visit we found the slope options very limited (compared to Zermatt where there a lots of options). The village is lovely.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SkiingQuinHat, The village is indeed lovely. Not quite sure what you mean by slope options - if the local areas are included there is a fair bit. No too many challenging slopes on piste, but the off-piste is very enjoyable - and getting out of the first train in the morning to climb through the tunnel roof to go touring is not to be missed as an experience (I hope they still do that).
ski holidays
achilles, We did not go touring and stuck to the piste as we were nervous with the glacier. However, the touring may well be good - I was really only commenting on the pisted runs.
ski holidays
SkiingQuinHat, fair enough. Flyer and I joined a guided party for a day's touring which was fabulous.
latest report
We stayed at the Waldesruh in April. Lovely hotel and good food. Handy for the lifts and can ski back sadly not easily when we were there as it was very late in the season.We arranged through a company called otp who offered hosting which was useful to get orientated as we were only on a short break .
snow conditions
achilles wrote:
The walk back could be interesting, too..

Oh yes, the Carnival! After one of these encounters we were still shaking confetti out of our ski gear two days later!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy