Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

If you had to choose between Christmas week (error: actually New Year!!) and half-term week...

Poster: A snowHead
...for a family trip (3 or 4 adults, one child) this season, what would you choose?

Last year his holiday was outside UK half-term, this year it's bang-on the same dates so the issue is new to me.

EDIT: Please note I got it wrong, I meant the week commencing 26 December....sorry.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 15-09-09 14:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Easter
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Christmas, without a doubt, especially if the family will mainly be skiing on piste. Much quieter and a nice atmosphere in resort. We've skied at Christmas for most of the last 15 years and always had enough snow to ski on, even in years when early season didn't have the best of conditions. We don't bother with half-term anymore.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd vote Christmas week.
> usually resorts are quite quiet (well quieter than New Year and Half Term)
> a genuine white Christmas is special
> skiing Christmas day! (just don't say that to the brother in law who dislocated his shoulder last christmas day)
> often good snow
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My first ever time on skis was Christmas morning Smile

Half term isn't as bad as people say it is though, as long as you don't go somewhere well known.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
paulio, seconded.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
another vote for Xmas week and Halfterm is nowhere as bad as some people say!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
half term would likely be better for off piste on the basis that there would be more of a base
Christmas was actually not overcrowded at all the one time I experienced it (in Alpe d'Huez); half term is definitely a time to go somewhere not on the big tour ops' radar
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As they,rob@rar, marcellus, paulio, Frosty the Snowman, Boredsurfing, all said. We were in LaTania at x-mas, didn't feel crowded. Meribel at Half-term never had to wait more than about 5mins for a lift.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Christmas.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Will be in VT this x-mas, after ideas for Half -term though
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Christmas. Nice to spend my birthday in the mountains! Toofy Grin

Or beginning of Easter hols. But never, never (unless there was really no alternative wink ) half term. You could pretty much get two weeks any other time for the same price as one over half term, certainly if you book with a TO.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Probably Christmas for all the reasons marcellus, mentions and for us at least the expense of the skiing is somewhat mitigated by all the 'Christmassy' things we don't do at home. Agree that half term is fine, nowhere near as traumatic as it's billed especially if you try and stay away from the places that are served by major tour operators or go somewhere where it's not too difficult to avoid the 'silly busy' slopes which in our experience are often where you also find the 'silly skiing beyond their ability skiers/boarders' - a far bigger issue in my book than the lift queues.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Christmas. Quieter. Special. Less commercial [than UK].
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Christmas definitely. Will be out in the Grand Massif myself then.
snow report
Quote:

Christmas. Nice to spend my birthday in the mountains!

Do you have a beard and walk on water? Very Happy

Deffo Chrimbo.
snow conditions
MarjMJ wrote:
Christmas. Quieter. Special. Less commercial [than UK].

But even after spending the last 5 Christmases in the Alps still find it odd to see the Dustbin men doing their rounds as usual on Xmas Day Very Happy
snow conditions
I've booked Christmas week. Half term will be far too busy for my liking.
ski holidays
1. Easter 2. Christmas 3. Half term

But in ALL cases you do need to think a bit about which resort.
snow report
as a second thought.. WHY NOT BOTH!!
ski holidays
It just occurred to me that I said Christmas week when what I meant was the week starting on 26 December...although if there's a chance of getting accommodation starting a couple of days earlier, I'd certainly prefer that.

Hmm looks like Christmas is on the cards...now about choosing a resort...
latest report
horizon, the w/c 26 December is effectively New Year's week. Very busy time of year and most expensive. Week before (19th) will be quieter.
ski holidays
vman is dead right. There'll be a huge difference between those two weeks. Christmas is less crowded, and less expensive, than New Year. New Year is expensive, crowded, and still statistically far less likely to have good snow than half term. Of all the weeks to ski, New Year probably has the least going for it.
snow report
Hmm, no way I can get holiday on the week commencing 19th, used up too many days already. I'm stuck with being on hols for the week commencing 26th, might as well be in the mountains.

Easter...good as an add-on but parents too afraid of lack of snow (yes I know, but reasoning with them will only take me so far).

marcellus, I'm already planning a total of 3 weeks, only one of those will be at the busiest time!
snow conditions
pam w, I'm not disagreeing with you but the advantage of new year week is of course that you don't need to use up so much precious leave from work - thereby giving you a chance to go again later in the season wink
ski holidays
horizon, You beat me to it!
latest report
New Year is also not as busy as people say.

My last 6 Alpine trips were: End of April last week of the season, Mid Jan, Feb Half Term, New Year, Mid Jan, Feb Half Term.

In terms of crowding there's nothing to separate them that I can remember. The busiest holiday I remember having was at Christmas and the limiting factor was that I was a beginner so was on the crowded nursery slopes. So long as you go at least 1 lift away from the 'front de neige' it makes no difference when you go, at all.
snow report
deffo Xmas!

It is always quieter out here in Austria and for th past 3 years the snow has been great too... Hlaf-term is so busy accross the whole of Europe.
A lot of people from around these parts book from around the 25th through to New Year crossing a weekend. So the beginning of the week will probably be quite empty and quiet.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Xmas.
We are doing the week starting 26th dec in la plagne. The main reason is its as possible
In the year. We are not going to wait any longer than we have to before hitting the slopes.

We are tied as many people are to the kids holidays.
latest report
Quote:

So the beginning of the week will probably be quite empty and quiet

but sadly he really meant the New Year week beginning the 26th, rather than Christmas - so it won't be quiet at all.
snow report
In France, New Year week is much busier than Christmas week.
However, how busy depends on the lower resorts. If the lower resorts have good snow cover then the higher resorts are less busy and vice versa.
New Year 3 years ago was very bad (even Montalbert was only open due to snowmaking but it dumped it down on New Year day) and La Plagne was as busy if not busier than half term. The Christmas week before was dead even though the snow cover was OK (until it rained on Dec 30th up to 1800m.)
snow conditions
horizon, I'd definitely go for February half term week over New Year week. The snow is usually at its best in February, New Year can be a bit hit and miss. The last 2 seasons have had good conditions at Christmas and New Year but it is not always the case. We usually go each Christmas and the snow cover has been patchy in the past, it was still possible to ski but it tends to wreck your skis. High prices and crowded slopes are common for both New Year and Feb half term weeks.
snow conditions
if you're after black runs you'll enjoy half term more as even in good snow years many resorts such as alpe d'huez, chamonix, and val thorens won't have snow to fill in the steep runs on the upper mountain. I've been at both christmas and half and found that if you get to the lifts no later than 9 in places such as val d'isere where everyone wants 1 of 2 or 3 lifts then queuing isn't that bad and I can't tell the difference between the two.
snow conditions
paulio, same it has snowed early in the morning and there was a couple of inches of powder on all the pistes. It was wonderful for someone who doesnt go off piste to experience similar conditions.

I have only ever been skiing at christmas so far and have loved it. I think the pistes have limited queues and the pistes are fairly quiet. This year will be the first time in 4 I will be at home for christmas, instead of being in the snow.
snow conditions
Now New Year?????

Both will be busy and very different... do both!
snow conditions
Before I can answer you properly horizon it would be good to know if you have any previous experience of skiing?
snow report
rungsp, Laughing
snow report
lots of hangovers New Years Morning so empty lifts for a while snowHead
snow conditions
Shimmy Alcott, absolutely. The town might be busy during New Year week, not the slopes though. We were making fresh tracks on piste, after an overnight snowfall, at about noon the next day.
ski holidays
I've been to Austria for the last four years in Feb and the snow has always been good and the sopes a little quieter than my New Year trips which have not been so recent.
Based on my expereince I would tend to go for Feb in Austria or Switzerland, WHen I've been oto France which again was a while ago Feb was very busy.
The only other caveat I would add is that this year the half term coincides with Fasching which it has not doen recently, this may make things worse.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy